Food ideas for even lower carbing

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Has anyone had low carb Chinese food or eaten Chinese food since being diagnosed?
As far as I can see, it’s just full of carbs and sugar, ever though I used to love it along with Thai food

Crispy duck usually ok just don't have the pancakes and sweet sauce.
Seafood stir fried with some green veg.. kai-lan or bok choi maybe?

Thai maybe one of the curries with coconut milk and obviously no rice.
Or one of the spicy salads.

Reactions: lovinglife

SMS1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
5g per 100g is a low carb item in and of itself.

5g of carbs of a high carb item mean little total consumption of carbs but doesn’t make the item low carb itself.

but obviously a higher % carb item if eaten in tiny quantities is probably better for bgl than a huge amount of a moderate % item.

I read on this forum that up to 7 g carbohydrate in 100g measurement( I look at food labels as we all do probably) is considered okay and low carb.Is that right?Because I said to someone that it was okay to have a vanilla / chocolate pudding( with sweetner) by Chiefs brand as it has below 7gcarb /100g.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Has anyone had low carb Chinese food or eaten Chinese food since being diagnosed?
As far as I can see, it’s just full of carbs and sugar, ever though I used to love it along with Thai food
I have special foo yung and I discovered on Christmas Eve my local Chinese does great salt and pepper ribs no sauce or sugar just spices and chilli a starter portion is massive, big enough for a main and absolutely delish, had them with some stir fried beansprouts- yum

Reactions: Speedbird

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have tried them and I just didn’t like the flavour. They just seemed to have a strange taste. i have found the m and a ones are much nicer (only discovered them just before xmas)
Fair enough - I was simply suggesting a couple of examples for you, but there are obviously other brands around too.

Re "low carb" - I totlally agree with @HSSS. There's a distinction between a low carb meal and a low (or high) carb food. IMO what matters is the number of carbs you actually consume rather than the number of carbs per 100g, and while I mainly choose food and drinks that are definitely low carb overall I will sometimes have small quantities of slightly higher carb stuff as long as my daily total is within my acceptable limits, and I don't see any unwanted spikes when doing so. The main aim is to keep glucose levels acceptably low and stable, and a little common sense and experimentation should prevail.

Last edited:
Reactions: woollygal

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I read on this forum that up to 7 g carbohydrate in 100g measurement( I look at food labels as we all do probably) is considered okay and low carb.Is that right?Because I said to someone that it was okay to have a vanilla / chocolate pudding( with sweetner) by Chiefs brand as it has below 7gcarb /100g.
It is how much carbs in total that a particular food contains, so you have to multiply the percentage carbs by the weight of the portion you are going to eat.
Colman's mustard is 13g per 100g but a portion is maybe 5g so 0.65g carbs.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

You need to also consider the actual amount you are wanting to eat as this determines the number of carbs you'll consume, so you need to work on the number of carbs in your chosen portion size, so 50g will be 3.5 g carbs, 200g will be 14g carbs, etc.

ETA I posted before I saw @Mr_Pot's similar explantion.

Reactions: oldgreymare

SMS1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is how much carbs in total that a particular food contains, so you have to multiply the percentage carbs by the weight of the portion you are going to eat.
Colman's mustard is 13g per 100g but a portion is maybe 5g so 0.65g carbs.
Thanks, I see and noted for said pudding ( it then comes up to 14g of carb for a pot of 200g) but "in general", up to 7 grams of carbs per 100g is usually good or at least, that is what this poster said they looked at as a carb g/100g limit...That's what I understood .Thanks

SMS1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You need to also consider the actual amount you are wanting to eat as this determines the number of carbs you'll consume, so you need to work on the number of carbs in your chosen portion size, so 50g will be 3.5 g carbs, 200g will be 14g carbs, etc.

ETA I posted before I saw @Mr_Pot's similar explantion.
Thanks, yes, I saw both posts.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I always thought as long as something was under 5g that was low carb. I’m not having even close to 100g in one day so I would never reach the levels you wrote.
I am sorry, I seem to have misinterpreted the topic in this thread. You are the OP and in your first post you indicate that you are seeking to lower your carb intake. You are also using Trulicity and not the orals as shown in your profile, which also mentions that you stopped Forxiga in 2019. However, you are defending your current diet and not open to suggestions where it might still be a relatively high carb intake, whereas your signature indicates you know about the 20g per day used by many doing low carb as an upper daily limit. Yet you seem happy with 4 chocolate drinks at 4 g each on top of your meal, so this is probably where your extra carbs are coming into your food chain. I cannot help you since it is not clear what you are seeking from this thread.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am sorry, I seem to have misinterpreted the topic in this thread. You are the OP and in your first post you indicate that you are seeking to lower your carb intake. You are also using Trulicity and not the orals as shown in your profile, which also mentions that you stopped Forxiga in 2019. However, you are defending your current diet and not open to suggestions where it might still be a relatively high carb intake, whereas your signature indicates you know about the 20g per day used by many doing low carb as an upper daily limit. Yet you seem happy with 4 chocolate drinks at 4 g each on top of your meal, so this is probably where your extra carbs are coming into your food chain. I cannot help you since it is not clear what you are seeking from this thread.

Surely 20 carbs a day is keto? My understanding from THIS site is that anything below 130g a day is low carb, (not withstanding that dependent upon individual goals, a person may go much lower). If the poster has her 20g of chocolate sachets along with what she has described as a normal days food, she is low carb, where is the 'relatively high intake? I don't think she has to 'defend' anything either. I am low carb at the moment and I 'save' 12g of them for a daily packet of crisps.

Reactions: Evie-D

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Bit harsh an answer from you to be honest.
Actually I wasnt asking about how to lower my carb intake lower overall. As a rule my sugars are very well maintained on a day to day level anyway. not perfect and some days are better than others. Pre all this I was managing figures less than 8 most days after meals. they were usually quite stable and not swinging much. What I eat works and I have been eating those foods for a while. I tend not to mix it up because I know what works. It’s when I change things that things go wonky. I was asking for ideas on going super low carb because my sugars are playing up at the moment, I’m not perfect and with all the nonsense thrown at us this year there have been times that I have struggled. There have been times when I tried something new and it didn’t work and I had to work really hard to get back to controlling my sugars. Before Xmas they were fantastic, y diet was fantastic. Apologies if I am a bad diabetic and I make mistakes. We can’t all be perfect.
I don’t think you can say I have not welcomed suggestions given I have used some fo the suggestions but I also know what works for me and what doesn’t. I don’t like the idea of fasting but it turns out most weekends if I’m not working I do fast because I don’t usually eat breakfast.
My original post was to get some ideas as to what I could eat short term to try and kick start my sugars to go down. My diet this week has not been my usual one as I was eating maybe 4 g of carbs a day and nothing really changed. My question was not about my diet overall, it was simply ideas for foods that would allow me to go as close to zero as possible, it didn’t really help anyway to be honest because my sugars didn’t really change all that much.

I didn’t really expect to Feel like I’ve been told off and even more stressed than I already was. My question was very clear as everyone else that made suggestions were very helpful and supportive, reason I responded to your question is because in all honesty you completely confused me. Surely a carb figure of 100g isn’t relevant if I’m not eating anywhere near that amount. If the chicken coating is 7.9 per 100g than if I only have 10g that’s only 0.7 g which is very low levels of carbs. So I’m not sure how you are saying I am eating high intake of carbs, I may not quite be keto at 20g but I am usually under 3O and I can’t see how that is anywhere near high intake of carbs. Me asking you a question isn’t me being awkward it’s me being confused,
I’m not sure how that is me refusing help.

I have taken my injection tonight and hopefully tomorrow my sugars will drop or at least start to drop.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Fair enough - I was simply suggesting a couple of examples for you, but there are obviously other brands around too.

Re "low carb" - I totlally agree with @HSSS. There's a distinction between a low carb meal and a low (or high) carb food. IMO what matters is the number of carbs you actually consume rather than the number of carbs per 100g, and while I mainly choose food and drinks that are definitely low carb overall I will sometimes have small quantities of slightly higher carb stuff as long as my daily total is within my acceptable limits, and I don't see any unwanted spikes when doing so. The main aim is to keep glucose levels acceptably low and stable, and a little common sense and experimentation should prevail.
Thank you. th Elle carb thing makes sense thank you. That’s pretty much what I’m doing, well trying to do.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Surely 20 carbs a day is keto? My understanding from THIS site is that anything below 130g a day is low carb, (not withstanding that dependent upon individual goals, a person may go much lower). If the poster has her 20g of chocolate sachets along with what she has described as a normal days food, she is low carb, where is the 'relatively high intake? I don't think she has to 'defend' anything either. I am low carb at the moment and I 'save' 12g of them for a daily packet of crisps.
According to the title of this thread and reading the OP's own postings, I interpreted these as being a request for assistance in going even lower carb. The diet details used by the OP in a post-Christmas recovery plan is Low Carb as defined, but the OP is declaring items in her daily diet that are not ultra low carb but is claiming them to be Super Low Carb.

I am minded of conversations I have had in other threads over the years, in a similar vein, where posters were failing to reduce their sugar levels, yet seemed to be following a keto diet, In one case we discovered that the poster was addicted to Tic Tac's and consumed sachets on a daily basis. In another case, the poster liked his beer but did not consider it to be food. I am not saying this explains the current situation, but hidden carbs are everywhere. I have bought frozen peas from a well-known supermarket and found they had added sugar. I am wary of a brand of faggots because they are full of sugar alcohols that are not declared in the carb/sugar listings. A brand of sausages I avoid and a brand of fish fingers too because of added sugars. Another time the poster drove long distance and consumed jelly babies in his cab, but forgot to list them in his diet.

I cannot explain why the OP is getting high meter reading. Even a Xmas binge does not explain it due to the short duration of the offence. If it is not caused by what is being eaten now, then it must be a medical problem and I cannot advise any further.

Reactions: KK123

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bit harsh an answer from you to be honest.
Actually I wasnt asking about how to lower my carb intake lower overall. As a rule my sugars are very well maintained on a day to day level anyway. not perfect and some days are better than others. Pre all this I was managing figures less than 8 most days after meals. they were usually quite stable and not swinging much. What I eat works and I have been eating those foods for a while. I tend not to mix it up because I know what works. It’s when I change things that things go wonky. I was asking for ideas on going super low carb because my sugars are playing up at the moment, I’m not perfect and with all the nonsense thrown at us this year there have been times that I have struggled. There have been times when I tried something new and it didn’t work and I had to work really hard to get back to controlling my sugars. Before Xmas they were fantastic, y diet was fantastic. Apologies if I am a bad diabetic and I make mistakes. We can’t all be perfect.
I don’t think you can say I have not welcomed suggestions given I have used some fo the suggestions but I also know what works for me and what doesn’t. I don’t like the idea of fasting but it turns out most weekends if I’m not working I do fast because I don’t usually eat breakfast.
My original post was to get some ideas as to what I could eat short term to try and kick start my sugars to go down. My diet this week has not been my usual one as I was eating maybe 4 g of carbs a day and nothing really changed. My question was not about my diet overall, it was simply ideas for foods that would allow me to go as close to zero as possible, it didn’t really help anyway to be honest because my sugars didn’t really change all that much.

I didn’t really expect to Feel like I’ve been told off and even more stressed than I already was. My question was very clear as everyone else that made suggestions were very helpful and supportive, reason I responded to your question is because in all honesty you completely confused me. Surely a carb figure of 100g isn’t relevant if I’m not eating anywhere near that amount. If the chicken coating is 7.9 per 100g than if I only have 10g that’s only 0.7 g which is very low levels of carbs. So I’m not sure how you are saying I am eating high intake of carbs, I may not quite be keto at 20g but I am usually under 3O and I can’t see how that is anywhere near high intake of carbs. Me asking you a question isn’t me being awkward it’s me being confused,
I’m not sure how that is me refusing help.

I have taken my injection tonight and hopefully tomorrow my sugars will drop or at least start to drop.
Thank you for the clarification. I am unable to assist you, but I hope the coming week will see an improvement for you.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I read on this forum that up to 7 g carbohydrate in 100g measurement( I look at food labels as we all do probably) is considered okay and low carb.Is that right?
Like everything it’s all a bit personal and there are no right and wrongs. I was just using a widely accepted number not a definitive one.

Reactions: Grannypat

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The last time (many months ago) I was at the Chinese ordering the foo yung I thought my only option I asked and they were happy to cook many dishes without any sugar at all added

Last edited:

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...
Pragmatically, it is not just the overall carb content that counts, but the breakdown - higher fructose load is sadly unhealthy. Can you break down your diet re fructose load?

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Pragmatically, it is not just the overall carb content that counts, but the breakdown - higher fructose load is sadly unhealthy. Can you break down your diet re fructose load?
Is t fructose in fruit? If so I don’t really eat any fruit for that very reason.
Last year I started introducing oranges and although my sugars were stable short term and hba1c wise, my cholesterol got worse albeit slightly.
I stopped eating fruit and it went back down,

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Although I am very sensitive to carbs I don't differentiate, no good and bad carbs to my mind - so if a powder is slightly high carb if consumed in quantity, but contributes little to the total carb count of a meal, then that is fine by me - so there is a jar of peach flavoured tea in the cupboard and I occasionally drink a pint of it - but I count the serving size, not the total percentage carbs of the powder, and I check the amount added to the hot water just for my own peace of mind, though these days I need to dilute it down with double the volume of water advised as it is over sweetened.
I do think that sometimes the objective of controlling blood glucose is obscured by doing the magic to get low carb.
These days - 4 years from diagnosis I can eat a moderate amount of carbs if it would be a problem to find anything low carb, and I know I can deal with it, though I do sometimes feel sympathy for those who have it as their everyday fodder and often like to show the mettle of my normal pasture even as a dumpy OAP.
I'll always have to eat low carb because it seems that is what I was designed to do, but it only enhances my logical frame of mind.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My earlier comments were to clarify what is a low carb item as opposed to a low carb count meal.

Personally I don’t count often. I use the % (g per 100) as a guide when looking at labels. Very low % I eat to will. I try and avoid higher % in the main

As the % rises I consider more and more the quantity I will consume and if it’s really worth it. If it’s a teaspoon in an entire meal I may eat it still. If it’s half the meal I don’t touch it. I guess it’s my personal traffic light scheme.