So am I safe in school?

conniecar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

I’ll be supervising vulnerable kids ( a vulnerable supervising vulnerable - ace ). I have 3 conditions on the vulnerable list. Our rota has come through and I’m in school while younger/fitter colleagues are doing on line tuition from home. Would you say anything? I’m a bit anxious after the 8 o clock waffle x

LindiePops

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Doesn't do any harm to mention this to your headmaster. They need to look at the rota again in my opinion. Good luck

Reactions: Robinredbreast

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
I'd certainly discuss your situation with the boss, you've nothing to lose.
You are right about the 'waffle', but it's no change from what BoJo has been spouting for weeks.
Luckily we live in Scotland where the situation has been very much clearer for a while now and the most recent instruction is that schools will be closed until 1st Feb instead of 18th Jan. Our daughter is a teacher in a big secondary school.

Reactions: LindiePops

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

I’ll be supervising vulnerable kids ( a vulnerable supervising vulnerable - ace ). I have 3 conditions on the vulnerable list. Our rota has come through and I’m in school while younger/fitter colleagues are doing on line tuition from home. Would you say anything? I’m a bit anxious after the 8 o clock waffle x
Section 44? furlough? Discussions with your head? I certainly wouldn’t be staying at school without at least exploring these options and I’d definitely say something

Reactions: Circuspony

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'd definitely raise it, and I'd also work very hard to get a conversation with my GP/DNS to see what their assessment is and whether they can assist you in any way. Good luck, it must be very worrying for you.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Even if you don't count as 'extremely clinically vulnerable' according to our government, you are classed as 'clinically vulnerable'. You school should have done a risk assessment that includes a section on this group, and your manager should have individual discussed risks with you and probably done a personal risk assessment for you.
This is a legal requirement not an optional extra.
https://www.hse.gov.uk/coronavirus/working-safely/protect-people.htm

Reactions: Robinredbreast

UK T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

Like others have said, I'd chat to your union rep, head and HR. You should already have a risk assessment and they should be aware of your 3 conditions so it would be entirely reasonable to request to be the back up/be at the very end of a rota list at the very least.

It may well be that they are unaware you're (understandably) concerned and would easily and happily amend the rota. Definitely worth a shot - I only have type 1, under 40 and HbA1c consistently under 52 over the years but my GP decided I was CEV so I won't be in with key worker or vulnerable children. It seems an entirely reasonable adjustment to have you working from home if there are other staff available to cover those in school.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi

The schools have been closed to all but the vulnerable/key wokers kids not because the kids or you are at special risk but to prevent onward transmission so your situation is no different to what it was in December.
There is no real evidence that the new variant is markedly more transmissable but this idea has been discussed to sew further seeds of fear. Look at your school to judge. Might have been a few cases and there was certainly a lot of testing but how many absences due to actual illness compared to an average Winter? How many people off just because of stress and anxiety?
You're in a school because you want to help those vulnerable kids and to help nurses and doctors do their jobs giving out vaccinations. You're lucky to be part of that big effort in my opinion and I can't see how juggling the rota will help you be any less exposed btw.

Reactions: Tophat1900

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The schools have been closed to all but the vulnerable/key wokers kids not because the kids or you are at special risk but to prevent onward transmission so your situation is no different to what it was in December.
There is no real evidence that the new variant is markedly more transmissable but this idea has been discussed to sew further seeds of fear. Look at your school to judge. Might have been a few cases and there was certainly a lot of testing but how many absences due to actual illness compared to an average Winter? How many people off just because of stress and anxiety?
You're in a school because you want to help those vulnerable kids and to help nurses and doctors do their jobs giving out vaccinations. You're lucky to be part of that big effort in my opinion and I can't see how juggling the rota will help you be any less exposed btw.
Teaching staff have been assessed as more vulnerable to being exposed to the virus when you count them as a profession (As all other are) and not break it down to which type of school they are in . There were reports on this a few weeks back I’ll try and find them
The situation is different to December because case numbers, hospitalisation sand deaths are much higher and hospitals are struggling to cope if nothing else. These are facts.
It is widely accepted by scientists and the government this new variant is at least 50% more transmissible perhaps as much as 70%. It is your opinion that it is a lie to spread fear.
As they say past performance is no guide to future results. Just because a school hasn’t had a major outbreak doesn’t mean it won’t. There is a first time for everything.
You make assumptions about illness numbers and reasons without basis.
Changing the rota so the poster has less or no face to face time close up to others makes the risk of exposure much less. Fairly obvious I’d say to see how it would help.

What has her job got to do with nurses giving out vaccinations?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Everyone,

Two posts have now been deleted because they were off topic and trying to drag this thread away from @conniecar ‘s personal situation and into politics and hobby horse riding.

Please be aware that further off topic posts will also be deleted.

Jbicheno

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have sent my resignation to my head as I certainly don’t feel safe in school. I haven’t felt safe for some time due to the lack of social distancing, PPE (government policy) and crowded classrooms before the lockdown. Now we have this new variant which is more infectious I think schools are still unsafe even with less children.
My head has contacted me to discuss my resignation and has removed me from the duty rota. It is definitely worth discussing your situation with your head.
I am not suggesting you resign. I’m 60 in three weeks and am lucky to be able to access pensions which have given me this option. However, I would not be leaving if the situation were different.
Good luck.

Reactions: zand

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Teaching staff have been assessed as more vulnerable to being exposed to the virus when you count them as a profession (As all other are) and not break it down to which type of school they are in . There were reports on this a few weeks back I’ll try and find them
The situation is different to December because case numbers, hospitalisation sand deaths are much higher and hospitals are struggling to cope if nothing else. These are facts.
It is widely accepted by scientists and the government this new variant is at least 50% more transmissible perhaps as much as 70%. It is your opinion that it is a lie to spread fear.
As they say past performance is no guide to future results. Just because a school hasn’t had a major outbreak doesn’t mean it won’t. There is a first time for everything.
You make assumptions about illness numbers and reasons without basis.
Changing the rota so the poster has less or no face to face time close up to others makes the risk of exposure much less. Fairly obvious I’d say to see how it would help.

What has her job got to do with nurses giving out vaccinations?
Not the report I was referring g to but the same subject https://www.tes.com/news/exclusive-coronavirus-schools-teacher-covid-rates-333-above-average

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have sent my resignation to my head as I certainly don’t feel safe in school. I haven’t felt safe for some time due to the lack of social distancing, PPE (government policy) and crowded classrooms before the lockdown. Now we have this new variant which is more infectious I think schools are still unsafe even with less children.
My head has contacted me to discuss my resignation and has removed me from the duty rota. It is definitely worth discussing your situation with your head.
I am not suggesting you resign. I’m 60 in three weeks and am lucky to be able to access pensions which have given me this option. However, I would not be leaving if the situation were different.
Good luck.
So sorry you've had to resign because you don't feel safe, but I would feel exactly the same if I worked in a school at the moment. Sending you hugs as you adjust to not being at work.

conniecar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well thank you all! Never expected such feedback. It’s very helpful. I started the job in November in this big school ( 1600 secondary and sixth form kids ) and as you may imagine it’s busy. I’ve never been asked any medical questions and didn’t have an induction, I was just thrown in to get going. I like the place and staff btw and SLT are also refreshingly helpful and genuine. Since I said I’d spoken to the Dr I’ve worked from home from 7-5 daily - even though I normally work 8.45-3.15. There’s lots to do. There’s been a mix up at the GP’s and a practise nurse has sent out a patient summary as she thought that was all I needed. Work don’t need to know I had a caesarean in 1999! Work have been hassling me for an official note, as by their understanding the government said only the clinically extremely vulnerable should work from home no matter what their job. I have recently become a teaching assistant so sit by the students. More are coming in to access the iT facilities so it’ll be a lot. The teachers are at home on the whole.. I’ve had no risk assessment or call from occupational health even though I’ve volunteered my health details now. Sadly I think the GP’s hands will be tied. I’ll have to go back even though I’m working very hard from home. Our line managers asked who wanted to work from home on Monday and half did because of childcare. She said there’s too many TA’s to necessitate everyone being in school. Phew.... sorry, needed to say that

Jbicheno

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Earlier in the pandemic, October, I was suffering from anxiety and stress to the point I was crying when going to work often. I took some time off and asked my doctor to sign me off while an occupational health assessment was done. My head had refused to allow me to wear an FFP2 face mask, provided by me, in class (government guidelines). My request was declined by the first doctor but another did sign me off very reluctantly. OH recommended a new risk assessment, included a request that I be allowed to wear a mask. That new risk assessment has never been done. I wore my mask anyway at all times. I worked up until the Christmas holidays. Now, I feel the school situation with the new virus and crowding etc is just too unsafe and do not want to put my life/ health in danger.
My head has asked me to come in for a meeting with her on Monday before accepting my resignation. However, unless she can offer a non-classroom post in an uncrowded room, allow me to work from home or take a career break I can’t see me returning to school. Very sad.

Reactions: JRT

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Well thank you all! Never expected such feedback. It’s very helpful. I started the job in November in this big school ( 1600 secondary and sixth form kids ) and as you may imagine it’s busy. I’ve never been asked any medical questions and didn’t have an induction, I was just thrown in to get going. I like the place and staff btw and SLT are also refreshingly helpful and genuine. Since I said I’d spoken to the Dr I’ve worked from home from 7-5 daily - even though I normally work 8.45-3.15. There’s lots to do. There’s been a mix up at the GP’s and a practise nurse has sent out a patient summary as she thought that was all I needed. Work don’t need to know I had a caesarean in 1999! Work have been hassling me for an official note, as by their understanding the government said only the clinically extremely vulnerable should work from home no matter what their job. I have recently become a teaching assistant so sit by the students. More are coming in to access the iT facilities so it’ll be a lot. The teachers are at home on the whole.. I’ve had no risk assessment or call from occupational health even though I’ve volunteered my health details now. Sadly I think the GP’s hands will be tied. I’ll have to go back even though I’m working very hard from home. Our line managers asked who wanted to work from home on Monday and half did because of childcare. She said there’s too many TA’s to necessitate everyone being in school. Phew.... sorry, needed to say that
It’s easy for me to say as I’m already retired, but is it time to join or contact a Union? Your case is one where the need to stay alive and the requirements of the school are in direct opposition. If the other TAs are key workers they qualify to send their children to school and nursery.

Reactions: JRT
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

Hi @conniecar. I put in an Econsult to my surgery and I received this message today. I had to crop it, to hide names.

Screenshot_20210108-162049.png