90% cocoa solids dark chocolate

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Pre low carbing dark chocolate was one of my very few food type migraine triggers, so I've been very cautious about trying variants once I found a "safe" one I could actually eat!... I started with and have tended to stay with the 85% Lindt. Lower than 85% tends to be slightly too sweet, and 90%+ is far too bitter for me. :yuck:Sometimes the 85% Lindt bars vary and will taste slightly more bitter than normal and I've even resorted to double checking the packaging to see if I ordered or received the wrong option!

Regarding moussey type creations, I'll mix 100% cocoa powder and a bit of erythritol/stevia with full fat thick cream, creme fraiche, Greek yoghurt or my favourite - cream cheese. And if I fancy flavouring such as peppermint or orange essence I might add that too.

Something else I've tried was making my own chocolate bar variation with melted dark chocolate and coconut oil, combined with optional sweetener, flavouring etc, and poured into a chocolate bar type silicone mould and left to cool overnight. Similar combinations are used to make fat bombs which seemed to be popular when I first joined the forum.

And @Sarbak, where I come from "claggy" and it's variants are definitely part of our vocabulary so peanut butter's clagginess getting you all clagged up makes perfect sense to me, too.:p Most of the best descriptive words are the old traditional dialect type ones that don't get often used in more mainstream language... IMo_O_O:D

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I too have worked my way up the percentages. As soon as I can eat more than 2 squares of one number I know it has become too easy and I move up. I now have a stockpile of the Montezumas 100% of which, on a good day, I can manage 1 neat square. Other times it gets diluted with cream.
Going up the percentages is my way of limiting intake

Reactions: Goonergal

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
it is best made with a whisk or frother of some kind. I use an aerolatte. :D This avoids gloops of molten choc at the bottom of the cup.

and ‘clagginess’ IS a word. Just because some people haven’t necessarily encountered it yet doesn’t mean it isn’t proper - and immediately understandable - and onomatopoeic-like :D:D:D
Clagginess is absolutely a word - I use it to describe the clay at the French Open tennis ALL the time!

Oh and this gives me a great excuse to buy a snazzy aerolatte to try that hot chocolate

Newlysweet

There’s a recipe on dietdoctor.com which melts together 100g high-cocoa chocolate, 80g butter, 50g peanut butter (and a splash of vanilla and pinch of powdered cardamom if you have/want them). Tip the mixture into a little (4x3 inch approx) lined container, and when it sets it’s like a fudge. I cut it into 12 squares and have 1 square as a sweet treat.

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I worked myself up to 90%, I have a single square every day with a good strong coffee and cream and it’s a ‘daily treat’. For preference, for flavour, the Co-op own brand 85% is the best, has ‘fruity’ tones, really nice, but double the carbs of Lindt 90% so it’s for high days and holidays only!

SMS1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There’s a recipe on dietdoctor.com which melts together 100g high-cocoa chocolate, 80g butter, 50g peanut butter (and a splash of vanilla and pinch of powdered cardamom if you have/want them). Tip the mixture into a little (4x3 inch approx) lined container, and when it sets it’s like a fudge. I cut it into 12 squares and have 1 square as a sweet treat.
That sounds good!

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I discovered Montezuma’s absolute black 100% at xmas - they do flavoured ones with no other additives so the carbs are around 8/100g - orange and cocoa nib, mint, and almond are all delish.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
That sounds good!
It is good!
I happened to make something like that yesterday, using 125 gr chocolate (85% cocoa, as those are cheap from Aldi, but going higher wouldn't hurt this recipe at all), 75 gr butter and 75 gr of peanutbutter.
I mixed in a lot of walnuts as well, and some spices. Very tasty, and pretty low carb :)
Very quick and easy to make too!

135889434_10222586387442737_7083001590126276226_o.jpg

136137919_10222586890055302_1743218970673542223_o.jpg

Diawara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is good!
I happened to make something like that yesterday, using 125 gr chocolate (85% cocoa, as those are cheap from Aldi, but going higher wouldn't hurt this recipe at all), 75 gr butter and 75 gr of peanutbutter.
I mixed in a lot of walnuts as well, and some spices. Very tasty, and pretty low carb :)

that looks nice and easy as well. i take it it goes well with merlot?

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I must try it sometime - my mouth is watering!

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It is good!

Looks fab - I must give it a try!

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve been a fan of the Godiva 90% (cannot do any other brand 90%) but have recently discovered the reason it tastes batter is because it uses a “Dutching” process that makes it taste smoother but removes some of the beneficial flavonols. Now that may not matter much but on some level to me it justified my eating it.

I’ve returned to the 85% ones and have also found my favourite changes quite frequently. Also note carbs are not equal between equal % cocoa bars.

erin40

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
One of the things I missed when I went low carb was dark chocolate.. Here is my solution - sweetener-free hot chocolate.

Cocoa, cinnamon / vanilla / nutmeg to taste; full fat coconut milk, some milk, boiling water and a pinch of salt.

That's it, no sweeteners. The combo of the spices, the cocoa and the fat and sweetness from the coconut milk makes it taste sweet to me. I love it, just like a chocolate bar.

Reactions: OrsonKartt