Reversing diabetes

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I make Yorkshire puddings using extra thick cream diluted with water, three eggs, 3 X 1/2 cups of bread flour - for decades I followed my mother's recipe, but I have to say - mine is better.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I turned my type 2 around in just under a year with low carb low sugar meals and daily exercise lost 3 and a half stone. Was really tough at times but managed to find healthy alternatives for nearly all the food I love. I did an awful lot of testing and still do with all new foods i try. All my readings are now within normal ranges and off medication now for 6 months. My next hba1c is due soon so fingers crossed its still below prediabetes levels. I agree once type 2 always type 2 and will be a continuous fight but life is important and I cherish it. Mind over matter. If i can do it anyone can. To be fair my joints are not brilliant but maybe my age could be something to do with it? 57 I probably need to find a different forum now with joint related issues for some more tips x
K

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm struggling with what to eat. Type 2 and on lots of meds.
Please help.
You should be able to eat any meat, fish, seafood, eggs, cheese and other dairy, plus low carb veges and fruit (usually berries do the trick) and using a meter to check your levels helps a lot.

Amy1978

Are you doing resistance exercise, this might sound counter intuitive. Prior to getting diagnosed I just accepted lower back pain (didn't listen to my physio wife...learnt my lesson later on...and many other things), and I used to have problems around the medial quads / knee area; if I was walking up the escalators on the London Tube, the stepping up motion would make my knee collapse, leaving me hobbling and a pain sensation.

I now have a strong back and no knee pain what so ever. I am not saying resistance training cures the underlying condition, but if your joints are better supported by the muscles around them, this may provide a virtual or actual cure. My lower back problems were due to an imbalance caused by too many sit-ups and no opposing muscle group counter balance exercises.

Whta do you use in resistance training?

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Ho

How do you manage to calculate the amount?

Look at the nutrition panel on the back of your food packets. Also there's a useful book called 'Carbs and Cals' which shows you a plate of food in different portion sizes and guides you with the amount of carbs in the food. 'Carbs and Cals' is also available as an app if you have a smartphone.

Also, just go to Google and start typing carbs in ****** etc and you will quite often find that it will provide you with a calculator like this,

upload_2021-1-26_11-6-4.png

If you really want to do this at home then maybe think about resistance bands...

upload_2021-1-26_11-0-11.png

They are available from e-bay and Amazon as well as a host of other places. But I'm seeing some alarming stories appearing on the web about Brexit related import duties so be sure to note where you're buying from. There are various exercise videos available on Youtube also.

Richard'63

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
If you really want to do this at home then maybe think about resistance bands...

Or bodyweight. No equipment needed unless you are doing pull ups. Plenty of example exercises and routines on YouTube.

Last edited:
Reactions: urbanracer

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I use four things:

1. Body
This is so overlooked as it seems old hat. I do 4 of this type. Everyday first thing often before leaving the bedroom, 50 good form push-ups (a good hangover habit from a push-up challenge). When it is too late to do a gym / home gym I would do central squats, split pulse squats and jump squats. Skaters.

If these are done from a beginner status to over a long period of time absolute failure 3 times a week, significant gains can be made. These can be done fast or slow (slower is harder with good form).

2. GYM
Barbell squat, Barbell Deadlift and Bench Press mainly. Everything else I can do at the end of a workout.

3. Home GYM
Barbell squat, Barbell Deadlift, Trap bar deadlift and Bench Press (only bench to the same weight as the gym). Rowing machine, heavy battle ropes, dumb bells

4. X3 Bar

All of these I use interchangeably and smarter these days as not to over do it. I take no prisoners and listen to my body, if I do a silly deadlift and feel my hamstring through a lazy technique, I move on (no longer 25); injuries I now avoid at all costs, so I can work out tomorrow. If I had to choose 1 of the above for life, it would be the X3 Bar hands down:
  1. Portable (I have even taken this on holiday) and in the summer on walks
  2. Full workout in its own right, and or adjunct to gym
  3. Easier (in my view) to train to failure than bodyweight only (I find it mentally easier)
  4. Legs, chest, biceps, back, shoulders
  5. Get a pump which feels great
  6. Suitable for any age (the bands are suitable for teenagers to pension age)
  7. Does not hurt connecting tissues / joints
  8. Can learn the correct form and techniques for barbell deadlift and squat
  9. Resistance and Cardio
Some would say why not just use bands which are much cheaper. The easy answer is loading and weight equivalent. If I am doing bicep curls with standard bands, I would have to do maybe 3 times as many to get fatigued, whereas with the middle band hooked up to the X3 Bar I can break myself at 10 reps. Similarly with the Elite Band. With standard bands I estimate you can imitate a 20 - 40 kgs deadlift, but the X3 Bar is around 150 kgs. In short if you total the cost of all the equipment to work your systems, the shareability with your friends and family it is ridiculous value. For balance Ben Pakulski, a true body builder does not rate it, but he is Olympia / Arnold Classic standard; for us mere mortals it is the bomb (no affiliations (yet...) or other links).

Last edited:

Tannith

BANNED
Hi guys,
I’ve read lots of stories about remission, but a question I can’t seem to find is, can you actually reverse it completely and eat what is considered normal (carbs) and your blood sugar stays within normal range.
I’ve been low carb and my sugars are between 4.8 and 5.8 after meals.
I understand if you put weight on and be glutinous there is a real possibility it will come back.
I’m talking a Sunday dinner, odd bar of chocolate, chips for tea..not over indulge but having more carbs but exercising and keeping the weight down..I can’t imagine anyone wants to test this theory (or maybe secretly I do ) but suppose curiosity is a thing for me tonight, it was because I ate a shortbread biscuit (it was amazing by the way ) then guilt set in and I tested after 1 hour and was 5.1 then 2hours and I was 5.2 after dreading to look at the meter and being slightly shocked .
I was 17stone 7lb I’m now 11st 9lb walk around 10 miles a day and can really see the difference in low carb, not as hungry lots of energy, but you know the feeling, I can’t be the only one who wants fish and chips sometimes, or a nice hot chocolate from costa, I don’t eat fast food anyway like McDonald’s and stuff because it taste like a rubber shoe in a bun
Is it weight that can reverse it or is it just remission and that’s it. Or can moderation & keeping the weight off be, what I would call, back to how you were before diagnosis of diabetes. Sorry if this has been asked before.
A link anyone could share for tonight’s reading if anyone has one.
I was diagnosed as steroid induced after a chest infection if this makes any difference, thought was best to add that in.
Thanks guys
https://www.you.co.uk/professor-roy-taylor-life-without-diabetes-diet/
https://www.ncl.ac.uk/research/impact/casestudies/diabetes/

Why a low-calorie diet can help put Type 2 diabetes into ...
upload_2021-1-27_9-26-47.png
www.chroniclelive.co.uk › ... › Newcastle Universit
y

Roy Taylor: Nutritional management and prevention of type 2 ...
upload_2021-1-27_9-27-36.png
www.youtube.com › watch
[URL='https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-8683375/ROY-TAYLOR-patients-felt-10-years-younger-losing-two-stone-writes-professor.html']
ROY TAYLOR: Our patients felt 10 years younger after losing ...
upload_2021-1-27_9-28-5.png
www.dailymail.co.uk › debate › article-8683375 › RO..
[/URL]