Birthday advice

Sad21+

Hello I care for my mother who is newly diagnosed type 2 diabetic. I will propbably write a more detailed longer comment about our situation another day.

It's her birthday tomorrow and I have no idea what to give her. I know it can't be high sugar or carbs. I feel awful she's not going to have much of a birthday with the pandemic, not being able to see family and now this. Thinking about it is stressful.

She looks so sad. What can I give her to eat ? how do y'all celebrate your birthday's ?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Odd.. its mine soon too.. I'm having a big fat juicy wagyu sirloin steak.

Reactions: Sad21+

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Probably the simplest recipe I make is a low carb chocolate pudding with double cream, some 90% chocolate and a little sweetener such as truvia (stevia based). Whip the cream, stir in some melted chocolate, sweeten to taste, put in fridge for a couple of hours - serve with a few fresh raspberries.
There are several low carb cake recipes around, just make sure to follow the recipe exactly if you have never made cake with ground almonds or coconut flour before - and yes you do need those extra eggs! The easiest recipes are probably lemon cakes, or chocolate cake.
You can make chocolate covered marzipan - just mix ground almonds, sweetener and almond essence with a few drops of water, mould into balls and cover with a good quality dark chocolate.
If you are providing a meal, choose a good cut of meat or fresh salmon for the main course, served with a variety of green veg and with either cauliflower rice or cauliflower mash?
If you don't want to do cake just yet, real full fat greek yogurt is nice, mash in fresh raspberries or blueberries. You can even put some double cream on top.

Don't worry about adding cream, oil, butter, etc - if she cuts down on carbs extra fats are needed and will not cause cholesterol issues. (Some research on rodents showed the worse thing for weight gain and bad cholesterol was mixing processed fats plus carbs, eg doughnuts and most junk foods, not fat on its own.)

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello I care for my mother who is newly diagnosed type 2 diabetic. I will propbably write a more detailed longer comment about our situation another day.

It's her birthday tomorrow and I have no idea what to give her. I know it can't be high sugar or carbs. I feel awful she's not going to have much of a birthday with the pandemic, not being able to see family and now this. Thinking about it is stressful.

She looks so sad. What can I give her to eat ? how do y'all celebrate your birthday's ?
Are chocolatiers open where you are, or do they have a website where you can order, like the labooko sugar free bars or praline's with sweetener? Some carry chocolate without sugar in, you could give them a shout and see what they have. Is all else fails, try amazon. I celebrate my birthday with a lot of good meat these days, a mixed grill from a restaurant or something made at home. (Home made being likely this year...). But there's cake recipes online, just google cake and keto and see what comes up. All in all though.... This past Christmas I got a lot of foods I can actually eat. Extra dark chocolate, dried sausage, hard cheeses, low carb truffles, which were home-made by a friend... I doubt my birthday'll be much different, now that people are finally getting the idea that my "fad" diets aren't going anywhere. ;)

A speciality tea might do well too... I know a hot cup and some chocolate always cheer me up. That, and cats, but I don't now whether she's already got one. ;)
Jo

Reactions: Sad21+ and EllieM

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Look into savoury luxuries rather than sweet replacements so perhaps a really good or expensive steak or fish, or prawns or lobster. A different or unusual cheese.
A French restaurant near us does a special takeaway 3 course meal each Saturday a. I just ask them to replace my dessert with a selection of cheese.
Also treats don't need to be food or drink.
Have a bunch of flowers delivered
We arranged a zoom party of my husband's birthday where 5 of our family and friend all dialled in at the same time and played games together. They had sent his presents by post in advance so they could watch him open them. It went really well and was special because it was different from all our other days
Hope some of these ideas help

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Google keto chocolate mug cake. The recipe is good for 2 portions split between 2 ramekins. There are variations, lava cake interior etc.

Google keto fat bombs. Keto muffins. I made some bounty bars. I Personally don't have a sweet tooth but the keto community are a creative bunch.

Never thought in a million years that I would use pork scratchings instead of breadcrumbs, and the improvement in flavour is outstanding.

Reactions: Sad21+ and EllieM

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Why does it have to involve food? Your possible treats are limited due to covid but you could give her a pamper session or a non food gift. Watch a film together or cook a lovely low carb meal. Pleasure shouldn’t necessarily involve sweetness..... apart of course your being sweet. Hope she has a lovely day.

Reactions: Sad21+

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
I eat cake for birthdays , I did pretty good with cheese cake, I do ok with a small slice of chocolate cake. It’s only one day, just keep the portion down

Fruitella

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
If by care ;you mean that you help her in daily living including toileting etc. then I would avoid a sudden increase in all the dark chocolate and sweeteners. Nice slice of birthday cake without a thick layer of icing will be fine for a day, then decide between you what changes are practical for her depending on what medication mum is on. I've not had potatoes or pasta for months, much prefer butternut squash and cauli rice.

Sad21+

Probably the simplest recipe I make is a low carb chocolate pudding with double cream, some 90% chocolate and a little sweetener such as truvia (stevia based). Whip the cream, stir in some melted chocolate, sweeten to taste, put in fridge for a couple of hours - serve with a few fresh raspberries.
There are several low carb cake recipes around, just make sure to follow the recipe exactly if you have never made cake with ground almonds or coconut flour before - and yes you do need those extra eggs! The easiest recipes are probably lemon cakes, or chocolate cake.
You can make chocolate covered marzipan - just mix ground almonds, sweetener and almond essence with a few drops of water, mould into balls and cover with a good quality dark chocolate.
If you are providing a meal, choose a good cut of meat or fresh salmon for the main course, served with a variety of green veg and with either cauliflower rice or cauliflower mash?
If you don't want to do cake just yet, real full fat greek yogurt is nice, mash in fresh raspberries or blueberries. You can even put some double cream on top.

Don't worry about adding cream, oil, butter, etc - if she cuts down on carbs extra fats are needed and will not cause cholesterol issues. (Some research on rodents showed the worse thing for weight gain and bad cholesterol was mixing processed fats plus carbs, eg doughnuts and most junk foods, not fat on its own.)
Thank you so much. You advice was very helpful. Great tips.

Sad21+

Are chocolatiers open where you are, or do they have a website where you can order, like the labooko sugar free bars or praline's with sweetener? Some carry chocolate without sugar in, you could give them a shout and see what they have. Is all else fails, try amazon. I celebrate my birthday with a lot of good meat these days, a mixed grill from a restaurant or something made at home. (Home made being likely this year...). But there's cake recipes online, just google cake and keto and see what comes up. All in all though.... This past Christmas I got a lot of foods I can actually eat. Extra dark chocolate, dried sausage, hard cheeses, low carb truffles, which were home-made by a friend... I doubt my birthday'll be much different, now that people are finally getting the idea that my "fad" diets aren't going anywhere. ;)

A speciality tea might do well too... I know a hot cup and some chocolate always cheer me up. That, and cats, but I don't now whether she's already got one. ;)
Jo
Thank you so much. I did buy dark chocolate but I was unsure to give it to her. Thank you so much. I was pretty unprepared. I should of baked her a cake. Thank you so much will definitely look into your tips.

Sad21+

Look into savoury luxuries rather than sweet replacements so perhaps a really good or expensive steak or fish, or prawns or lobster. A different or unusual cheese.
A French restaurant near us does a special takeaway 3 course meal each Saturday a. I just ask them to replace my dessert with a selection of cheese.
Also treats don't need to be food or drink.
Have a bunch of flowers delivered
We arranged a zoom party of my husband's birthday where 5 of our family and friend all dialled in at the same time and played games together. They had sent his presents by post in advance so they could watch him open them. It went really well and was special because it was different from all our other days
Hope some of these ideas help
Yes your ideas are very helpful thank you so much. You're so kind and thoughtful.

Sad21+

Google keto chocolate mug cake. The recipe is good for 2 portions split between 2 ramekins. There are variations, lava cake interior etc.

Google keto fat bombs. Keto muffins. I made some bounty bars. I Personally don't have a sweet tooth but the keto community are a creative bunch.

Never thought in a million years that I would use pork scratchings instead of breadcrumbs, and the improvement in flavour is outstanding.
Oh wow thank you. I wish I commented on here earlier. Thank you so much.

Sad21+

Why does it have to involve food? Your possible treats are limited due to covid but you could give her a pamper session or a non food gift. Watch a film together or cook a lovely low carb meal. Pleasure shouldn’t necessarily involve sweetness..... apart of course your being sweet. Hope she has a lovely day.
Thank you, you are right.

Sad21+

If by care ;you mean that you help her in daily living including toileting etc. then I would avoid a sudden increase in all the dark chocolate and sweeteners. Nice slice of birthday cake without a thick layer of icing will be fine for a day, then decide between you what changes are practical for her depending on what medication mum is on. I've not had potatoes or pasta for months, much prefer butternut squash and cauli rice.
Yes i do help her with daily living. Ok thank you so much. Great advice.