Struggling and feeling a little overwhelmed

lechiffre1969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Diagnosed last week. Been doing ok, until just now.

Staring into the fridge, looking in the cupboards.

I just didn't know what I should/shouldn't be eating. Until now, I've been looking for anything very low on carbs and sugar.

Is there a guide somewhere that indicates how much carbs, how much sugar, how much fat, protein etc per day? At the moment I just simply don't know.

My 5pm test today was 13.2 mmol (down from 26 last Thursday on D Day). So I know I'm doing something right but I'm just feeling overwhelmed.

I feel like I need a little cry. :-(

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
www.dietdoctor.com is a great resource for carb info
Anything animal based is fairly low carb meat, fish and of course bacon.
Dairy is ok (maybe watch out for milk) green above ground vegetables should be ok if you go for that sort of thing.
If it comes in a packet with more than one ingredient then it's likely best avoided.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Always look at the back of food packs and 'Carbs & Cals' is one of the good books/Apps with pictures and portion sizes

lechiffre1969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
eggs, most cheese , meat and green leafy salats, nuts ....pork scrathings

Thank you! My vegetarianism is holding me back. My wife is keen for me to revert but I've been a vegetarian for 35 years! I need to know which quorn and plant-based and soya-protein meat substitutes I can rely on.

She's just made me an amazing salad of: cucumber, cherry tomatoes, avocado, red onion, emmenthal and it was amazing and now I'm feeling SO much better!

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you! My vegetarianism is holding me back. My wife is keen for me to revert but I've been a vegetarian for 35 years! I need to know which quorn and plant-based and soya-protein meat substitutes I can rely on.

She's just made me an amazing salad of: cucumber, cherry tomatoes, avocado, red onion, emmenthal and it was amazing and now I'm feeling SO much better!

Avocado is one of the greatest vegs for type 2 diabetes... nuts ... high protein and high fat-foods are to be prefered, but as you learn of a lot of different low carb / lower carb veg-foods it gets easier... I think there are many other vegetarians in here.. peanuts are also fine

but well it is much easier to be a meat and cheese lover

Reactions: Sad21+

OB87

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

A lot of the quorn meat substitutes can be low carb. I eat them regularly and don't have impact on blood sugars. The quorn fillets are low carb, as are the pieces and some of the deli slices. I have those in buttered low carb bread with salad and they are great! And less than 10g of carbs for the sandwich. I have other quorn foods too but some of more high carb so just have to check.

Best to test before your meal and after to see what kind of foods you can handle.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@lechiffre1969
Don't beat yourself up so. This is a lifestyle change, for life, and it does take time to understand and get used to. I'm 10 months in and still very much learning

andbreath

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Its a lot to take in at the start. For Quorn products I have: Meat Free Roast, Peppered Steaks, Swedish Style Balls, Bacon Style Rashers, Vegetarian Ham slices, Vegetarian Chicken Slices (the vegan versions of these slices are also fine carb wise, but not to my taste).
For other brands I have: Linda McCartney Sausages, Vivera Bacon Pieces and Vivera Greek Kebab. Tesco Meat Free Mince and Morrisons V Taste Meat Free Mince.
If you look on the packets anything with less than 5g of carbs per 100g is low carb. Some of the above are up to 7ish g per 100g, but that is still very good for a veggie product. You will get there.

Reactions: lechiffre1969

Taxus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Of an evening, treat yourself to a glass of wine while nibbling a few almonds and dipping into a bowl of olives. All low carb and lovely. Life is not so bad after all.

lechiffre1969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Of an evening, treat yourself to a glass of wine while nibbling a few almonds and dipping into a bowl of olives. All low carb and lovely. Life is not so bad after all.

Thanks! Good suggestion but no alcohol for me, completely teetotal - even before the diagnosis. I might switch it for a glass of low sugar orange squash!

Onlinecaroline

I just wanted to reply to say I felt the same a week ago. I’ve cried every night for a week, I cannot believe I’ve cried over bread. But it is getting a little easier everyday.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There are recipes for low carb bread - low carb lots of things, even crackers to have with cheese. Some of the substitutes seem to be better than the originals.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi,

If it's any help for you? The diet doctor site @bulkbiker mentioned does V recipies too. https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/meal-plans/vegetarian

Reactions: lechiffre1969