Is there a high GI food that doesn't spike you ?

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've noticed recently that bread barely moves my meter at all.
Standard sandwich, 2 slices, 30g of carbs.
I've even been naughty and had a large deli baguette, 80g of carbs and only saw 1mmol/L rise at one hour.

Has anyone else found that one of the foods on the banned list don't spike them ?

OB87

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Pasta doesn't spike me much but I always have it with cheese on top! I have tested it at various times after and recently saw 5.8 at 2 hours and then lower by 3 hours then normal fasting. I have a small portion compared to what I used to have though. Bread used to spike me, I haven't had it since I was first diagnosed as I find the low carb alternatives nice enough. My insulin resistance seems to have improved but not too fussed about trying bread again yet.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
No!
Tried everything, never a flat line!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I've been teetotal since Christmas 2005, and I never liked wine of any sort, not even champagne!
Exercise, I would like to say I do exercise but only walking now, I can run, but if I did, I would get a liver dump which would trigger the insulin response.
I have learned that lesson in the past. I done too much and I had a huge headache and other symptoms because of it! Swimming would be ok, but I always walk in the morning, then after my first meal I wait fifteen minutes, then go for another walk for at least fifteen minutes.
Because of covid, I do all my chores in the morning, then plan around which meals I'm going to cook,, always meat involved. Never do carbs as much as possible.
I used to walk regularly over 20000 steps daily when I was working. Which really helped with my health and well-being.

Hope that helps

Keep safe.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No. Not only all the usual suspects cause me spikes but some usually considered 'safe' as well.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Pasta (if it’s cooked, cooked and reheated), jacket potatoes, some breads and I even experimented with dates over Christmas, which is something I hadn’t had since being diagnosed, and I was ok after I had 3 of them. However I do seem to be lucky in that I am able to tolerate more carbs than many on the forum.

Reactions: OB87

DarrenW29

BANNED
Gluten free pasta doesn’t spike me that high without insulin metformin only 9.6 2 hours post meal

only begun using some insulin and it keeps me in the 4.8-5 range

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I boil the kettle twice & rinse the pasta before eating.
Do you ever notice the gloopy starch in the bottom of the pot
I boil it then put it in a colander and run it under the cold tap for about 10 mins so don’t notice anything. I always peel my potatoes about 2 hours in advance and keep them in cold water and there’s quite a bit of starch left in the bottom of the pan when I change the water prior to cooking.

Donought

Nothing :-( Same as Lamont D - actually I've been really naughty recently as I went hypo after a G&T so I've used that to lower my blood sugar if I've eaten something that's spiked me. Anything that even sniffs of a carb spikes me - last night ate a teeny tiny portion of rice - 10.1 at 2.5 hrs post meal and high this morning. Walking raises my blood sugar when done before food but lowers it after food. Why is this all so complicated!?!?