Vegan/Vegetarian Products You Love and Recommend Trying!

VioletFoxtrot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sounds great! I've tried lentil pasta, but wasn't so enamoured. Would be nice to have a higher-protein pasta that didn't taste as strong as the lentil stuff that I've tried.

I quite like the Barilla red lentil and chickpea pastas, but then, I've never met a pasta I didn't like. :)

More Australian pasta info...

The Slendier one is 14.7% protein and 3.4% carb (there are black bean and soy bean varieties as well as edamame).

Vetta also do high protein pasta that tastes just like the regular kind, if a little more al dente, and that's 24.9% protein and 50.5% carb. They also have a high fibre variety.

Coles Wellness Road has three Asian-style noodles. Brown, black or red rice with chia. They are delicious, but much lower protein - around 8% and 70% carb. I find they don't spike my BGL like regular rice noodles, so I have them occasionally. They also do two risoni/orzo type pastas that they market as a higher protein rice substitute - one lentil, pea cauliflower, and the other lentil, pea, sweet potato. They're 22.5% protein and 56.5% carb.

Being a big lover of Asian food, I also use soba, bean thread and sweet potato noodles, but only in small amounts, and Doongara rice is a low GI sub for jasmine rice. When I make sushi I use half sushi rice and half red quinoa which holds together well and is also really pretty!

Reactions: tobythekid123

Beating-My-Betes

I quite like the Barilla red lentil and chickpea pastas, but then, I've never met a pasta I didn't like. :)

More Australian pasta info...

The Slendier one is 14.7% protein and 3.4% carb (there are black bean and soy bean varieties as well as edamame).

Vetta also do high protein pasta that tastes just like the regular kind, if a little more al dente, and that's 24.9% protein and 50.5% carb. They also have a high fibre variety.

Coles Wellness Road has three Asian-style noodles. Brown, black or red rice with chia. They are delicious, but much lower protein - around 8% and 70% carb. I find they don't spike my BGL like regular rice noodles, so I have them occasionally. They also do two risoni/orzo type pastas that they market as a higher protein rice substitute - one lentil, pea cauliflower, and the other lentil, pea, sweet potato. They're 22.5% protein and 56.5% carb.

Being a big lover of Asian food, I also use soba, bean thread and sweet potato noodles, but only in small amounts, and Doongara rice is a low GI sub for jasmine rice. When I make sushi I use half sushi rice and half red quinoa which holds together well and is also really pretty!

Thanks for the detailed answer. Seems Australia is ahead of Spain when it comes to such products. Perhaps I should look into sourcing them from a larger city, or online. Barilla is a brand that I have access to, but I've not seen their non-wheat pastas on the shelves.

I think that, at least for the moment, that I need to use lentil pasta in the same way I'd use lentils i.e as a protein source that'll accompany the 'normal' stuff. If I account the differences in cooking times, it should be quite easy to get a hearty mea out of one boiling pan.

And thanks for the ideas Asian-themed ideas. I bought a sushi kit, a while back, but still haven't got around to experimenting. Sweet potato noodles is definitely something I'd want to try, though. MMMM!!

Thanks, again :)

Mr Doggy

Wanting to make a perfect tasting mini chimichanga or enchilada, or want a BBQ tasting hot sauce to take around with you and use instead of a ketchup? An all round winner is Salsa Valentina. There's two types the normal and extra hot.

It has just Water, Chili Peppers, Vinegar, Salt, Spices, 0.1% Sodium Benzoate as a Preservative. The preservative is very good as typically I use both varieties as a base sauce for fermented chillis ranging from sweet tasting red ones to more bitter and exceedingly hot carolina reaper mixes. Also, it keeps my other chillis being mixed in from going off

Serving Size 1.00 tsp(5g)
Serving Per Container 74.0000
Amount Per Serving Calories 0
Total Carbohydrate 0g
Protein 0g
Vitamin A 2%

For a quick sauce for anything Mexican, you can add it to a vegetable broth and it'll take on a paprika like smoky taste. I'd put in 2-3 table spoons for a meal for two. You can also use liquid smoke if you don't want the extra heat. Basically it just speeds up the process without having to add in a lot of other herbs and spices.

As a ketchup it's probably the best option for any eating out experience.

Mr Doggy

Thanks for the detailed answer. Seems Australia is ahead of Spain when it comes to such products. Perhaps I should look into sourcing them from a larger city, or online. Barilla is a brand that I have access to, but I've not seen their non-wheat pastas on the shelves.

I think that, at least for the moment, that I need to use lentil pasta in the same way I'd use lentils i.e as a protein source that'll accompany the 'normal' stuff. If I account the differences in cooking times, it should be quite easy to get a hearty mea out of one boiling pan.

And thanks for the ideas Asian-themed ideas. I bought a sushi kit, a while back, but still haven't got around to experimenting. Sweet potato noodles is definitely something I'd want to try, though. MMMM!!

Sweet potato noodles are a nice option and you can make them yourself getting your hands on a Spiralizer. It's a Handheld Spiralizer Vegetable Slicer. You can find that in every country or Alibaba / Amazon. Typically I use it with courgette but you can do it with any dense vegetable. Steaming is a good way to cook it but I'd set a raw half aside for the crunch. Potato can be fried if you cut it slightly thicker or use a variable width spiral cutter. Using this will make you look like Jamie without even trying hard :D

I find with sweet potato noodles it depends on how sweet they are and then you have to balance that with other things your cooking. Using a ponzo Sause (literally water, lemon and Japanese soy sauce. You can add in a little garlic or dried chilli if you want heat) should give it a salty and citric balance.

For low carb you might want to try Shirataki Noodles. Basically they are carb free and per serving around 1 GBP a packet from a good Asian foodshop. Typically its sold in more Chinese food-stores who seem to do the end fulfilment. Personally I prefer the dry over liquid packets especially if you're aiming for pasta like meals.

There are some which taste almost the same as 'pasta' and others which are more 'noodle'. I find that the texture is a big player for people so it's best to buy and try various brands and not give up with the first one you try which might feel like eating rubber or plastic. Basically I'm saying buy a range and try them out or eat out somewhere which has it on the menu and ask the restaurant for the one you liked.

Here's a link to a store so you can see examples. I don't use this store or vouch for it. https://starrymart.co.uk/noodles-rice/dry-noodles/konnyaku-noodles.html

Beating-My-Betes

Wanting to make a perfect tasting mini chimichanga or enchilada, or want a BBQ tasting hot sauce to take around with you and use instead of a ketchup? An all round winner is Salsa Valentina. There's two types the normal and extra hot.

It has just Water, Chili Peppers, Vinegar, Salt, Spices, 0.1% Sodium Benzoate as a Preservative. The preservative is very good as typically I use both varieties as a base sauce for fermented chillis ranging from sweet tasting red ones to more bitter and exceedingly hot carolina reaper mixes. Also, it keeps my other chillis being mixed in from going off

Serving Size 1.00 tsp(5g)
Serving Per Container 74.0000
Amount Per Serving Calories 0
Total Carbohydrate 0g
Protein 0g
Vitamin A 2%

For a quick sauce for anything Mexican, you can add it to a vegetable broth and it'll take on a paprika like smoky taste. I'd put in 2-3 table spoons for a meal for two. You can also use liquid smoke if you don't want the extra heat. Basically it just speeds up the process without having to add in a lot of other herbs and spices.

As a ketchup it's probably the best option for any eating out experience.

Love me some Salsa Valentina. A mí me gusta más el 'Muy Picante!". I prefer hotter, but it also contains less salt than the regular flavour.

Reactions: Marie 2

Beating-My-Betes

Sweet potato noodles are a nice option and you can make them yourself getting your hands on a Spiralizer. It's a Handheld Spiralizer Vegetable Slicer. You can find that in every country or Alibaba / Amazon. Typically I use it with courgette but you can do it with any dense vegetable. Steaming is a good way to cook it but I'd set a raw half aside for the crunch. Potato can be fried if you cut it slightly thicker or use a variable width spiral cutter. Using this will make you look like Jamie without even trying hard :D

I find with sweet potato noodles it depends on how sweet they are and then you have to balance that with other things your cooking. Using a ponzo Sause (literally water, lemon and Japanese soy sauce. You can add in a little garlic or dried chilli if you want heat) should give it a salty and citric balance.

For low carb you might want to try Shirataki Noodles. Basically they are carb free and per serving around 1 GBP a packet from a good Asian foodshop. Typically its sold in more Chinese food-stores who seem to do the end fulfilment. Personally I prefer the dry over liquid packets especially if you're aiming for pasta like meals.

There are some which taste almost the same as 'pasta' and others which are more 'noodle'. I find that the texture is a big player for people so it's best to buy and try various brands and not give up with the first one you try which might feel like eating rubber or plastic. Basically I'm saying buy a range and try them out or eat out somewhere which has it on the menu and ask the restaurant for the one you liked.

Here's a link to a store so you can see examples. I don't use this store or vouch for it. https://starrymart.co.uk/noodles-rice/dry-noodles/konnyaku-noodles.html

Thanks! I do have a spiraliser, and use it for spiralising carrots and courgette. I like them in salads, rather than as a substitute for pasta.

I've given up on the idea of legume pasta, as the price is just too high. But I'm not low-carb, anyway. So when i want pasta, I'll just go for the real thing ;)

Reactions: Marie 2