1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Vegan/Vegetarian Products You Love and Recommend Trying!

Discussion in 'Vegetarian Diet Forum' started by Marie 2, Jul 10, 2019.

1. VioletFoxtrot

VioletFoxtrot Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I quite like the Barilla red lentil and chickpea pastas, but then, I've never met a pasta I didn't like. :)

More Australian pasta info...

The Slendier one is 14.7% protein and 3.4% carb (there are black bean and soy bean varieties as well as edamame).

Vetta also do high protein pasta that tastes just like the regular kind, if a little more al dente, and that's 24.9% protein and 50.5% carb. They also have a high fibre variety.

Coles Wellness Road has three Asian-style noodles. Brown, black or red rice with chia. They are delicious, but much lower protein - around 8% and 70% carb. I find they don't spike my BGL like regular rice noodles, so I have them occasionally. They also do two risoni/orzo type pastas that they market as a higher protein rice substitute - one lentil, pea cauliflower, and the other lentil, pea, sweet potato. They're 22.5% protein and 56.5% carb.

Being a big lover of Asian food, I also use soba, bean thread and sweet potato noodles, but only in small amounts, and Doongara rice is a low GI sub for jasmine rice. When I make sushi I use half sushi rice and half red quinoa which holds together well and is also really pretty!

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Beating-My-Betes

Beating-My-Betes · Well-Known Member

Thanks for the detailed answer. Seems Australia is ahead of Spain when it comes to such products. Perhaps I should look into sourcing them from a larger city, or online. Barilla is a brand that I have access to, but I've not seen their non-wheat pastas on the shelves.

I think that, at least for the moment, that I need to use lentil pasta in the same way I'd use lentils i.e as a protein source that'll accompany the 'normal' stuff. If I account the differences in cooking times, it should be quite easy to get a hearty mea out of one boiling pan.

And thanks for the ideas Asian-themed ideas. I bought a sushi kit, a while back, but still haven't got around to experimenting. Sweet potato noodles is definitely something I'd want to try, though. MMMM!!

Thanks, again :)

• Like Like x 2
  3. ALtsMagent

ALtsMagent · Member

Great thread, thank you for your suggestions.:happy:

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook