1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Vegan/Vegetarian Products You Love and Recommend Trying!

Discussion in 'Vegetarian Diet Forum' started by Marie 2, Jul 10, 2019.

1. therower

therower Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I felt putting vegan in the main title was in some ways alienating it.
    Flatbread v or ve seemed a better option. Just curios what people here thought.

• Like Like x 1
  2. LooperCat

LooperCat Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Sometimes it’s nice that something is made obviously plant based, tbh. Saves rummaging through everything in the list and still having to ask a waiter...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

I have to ask for the' allergy menu, we did at a new eatery Saturday night and was given the allergy free menu and a Vegan menu too, so it is popula/ Curry was on the allergy free menu, but when we double checked I couldn't eat it !! so frustrating, It's a brand new pub, 2 months old, Marstons pubs, also, a blog called Vegan Womble.

This quote is confusing ;
    Quotes 'It's unusual to find a pub chain where you don't have to ask for their allergens information before ordering vegan food' '
    We have to congratulate Marston’s on introducing a vegan menu that is different to most that we come across. Not only that, but their partnership with Moving Mountains is an incredibly strong move. I only wish we could buy those burgers in our supermarkets because it was wow in a bun.
    What I will say is the menu is slightly confusing. They have placed vegan marks for some of the meals but all are suitable for vegans. I think there might be a graphic designer somewhere who went a bit icon happy '

• Like Like x 2
    #83 Robinredbreast, Jul 14, 2019 at 10:55 PM
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  4. Marie 2

Marie 2 LADA · Well-Known Member

@therower
    Like @Mel dCP, says, it makes it easier to find it. A percentage of the restaurants in the US will label items, V, Vegan, vegan optional etc. It will vary area to area. I don't think I have ever heard it being a detriment, I think it's pretty accepted and considered a plus. There is a huge increase of vegans and vegetarians here, plus a lot of people that eat vegan/vege just because they want to some of the time .

t

• Like Like x 1
  5. Marie 2

Walnut Acres Baked Beans with onion and maple! Delicious with fake hot dogs cut in it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Marie 2

This is really good with veggies or pasta. Low carb too!

upload_2019-7-17_20-47-37.png upload_2019-7-17_20-48-2.png

• Like Like x 2
  7. LooperCat

LooperCat Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I’m not sure the name “Nutcheese” would sell very well here in the U.K... :hilarious:

• Funny Funny x 6
  8. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

9. WuTwo

WuTwo Type 1 · Well-Known Member

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  10. WuTwo

WuTwo Type 1 · Well-Known Member

You have a filthy low mind but I gotta say I laughed a very Sid James laugh when I read your comment.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Rylando88

Rylando88 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

These are great especially when they’re on offer in Asda ☺️

• Like Like x 2
  12. Marie 2

Parmela -It’s not a cheap item even when you find it in stores. Lucky Vitamins online is where I get it from now.. They make cheeses too that some people really love, smaller company that started expanding a few years ago from southern California area.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Rylando88

Rylando88 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

In Asda they do frozen bags of small micro packs of caulirice for £2 and u get 4 packs in each, these are great!!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Ricky

Ricky Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

New one I found - it may have been in Waitrose - not cheap . Move Over Meat was the brand and I tried the Revolution burgers and they actually tasted like meat - low carb.
    BTW I wouldn't touch most vegan cheese as it is just carbs and oil and so little protein.
    I also like Vivera products - stir fry the shwarma with stir fry veg- delish.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Walking Girl

Walking Girl Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I just had these! I decided to dive in and order off of Amazon and hope I wasn’t wasting money. Yummy! The noodles had a great “al dente” texture. While they don’t have quite as much flavor as regular pasta (does that really have much flavor anyway?), if you like a tasty sauce you will not notice the difference. I tested 2 hours after eating. I didn’t test before I ate, but I was 99 (5.4) at 2 hours so I feel comfortable with the carb count on the box. I don’t know what countries you can get them in...

https://www.amazon.com/Explore-Cuisine-Organic-Edamame-Fettuccine/dp/B004UB9P38/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=Explore+Cuisine&qid=1564440250&s=gateway&sr=8-3&th=1

• Like Like x 1
  16. Marie 2

@Walking Girl Those look like they have a great profile thanks!

17. Walking Girl

@Marie 2

They were very good. I’m kind of used to either springy or mushy texture when I try to recreate pasta, but the texture was perfect. I made a chunky pesto with pine nuts and a two huge handfuls of basil from the garden, blistered a large handful of cherry tomatoes and...ate :)

By the way, I’m awaiting delivery of NutCheese (LOL) from vegan essentials. That’s an interesting (and random) website. So, thank you for posting that!

• Like Like x 1
  18. ohmylex

ohmylex · Member

vegan!! i really love alpro caramel latte iced coffee!! also any violife cheese is lovely

• Like Like x 1
  19. Marie 2

Thank You!!! I posted the picture of Nutcheese, but WuTwo posted the link to Vegan Essentials. I do order off and on from them as they carry some stuff that is harder to get.

I don't know how anyone charges for shipping to where you live, since we moved I always get charged shipping now. I am in the states but on an island. But here are some ideas.

I get misc food items from the list below, possible sources of US brands

Lucky Vitamins, it will vary by weight. They carry the most variety it seems, but their rewards program isn't that great and be careful of buying something "autoship" most expensive on shipping for me,
    Vitacost, which is better because it has a flat rate shipping charge for non continental US, UK I don't know?
    iherb, which doesn't carry as much food but adjusts the charges by weight and you get shipping charges lowered if you are buying supplements which net them more of a profit so they discount the shipping. Plus with iherb if you have an account you get 5-10% back on most purchases towards your next purchase. There again,this could be a US thing.
    Amazon, who has the biggest range, but not always has everything and not always the cheapest.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Walking Girl

Whoops.

Well then thank you @WuTwo for the link to the Vegan Essentials website!

• Like Like x 2
    #100 Walking Girl, Aug 1, 2019 at 12:01 AM
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook