Tessbear

Hia
First time poster, long time lurker.
I’ve been diagnosed with type one for a year but due to poor mental and other physical health I’ve basically not engaged with anything other than the minimum things I need to do (insulin)
So I’m getting a freestyle libre this week (hopefully) and I was wondering what people’s advice was to things I need to know or buy? I saw that people use stickers and pic line covers to protect it.
Also should I use the reader and the app or one over the other? Do they sync up together?

Sorry for a million questions, I feel like I’m learning a lifetime of information!

thank you
Tess

Maco

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi. Sorry to hear about your struggles, I’m 26 and was diagnosed when I was 14. It’s not easy to deal with. My biggest piece of advice with Libre would be listen to your body & if it doesn’t seem right do a blood meter test. Libre can be known for being inaccurate so If you feel hypo but Libre says you are not then blood test. Likewise if you feel really high but Libre stays your fine then again blood test.

Tessbear

Hi. Sorry to hear about your struggles, I’m 26 and was diagnosed when I was 14. It’s not easy to deal with. My biggest piece of advice with Libre would be listen to your body & if it doesn’t seem right do a blood meter test. Libre can be known for being inaccurate so If you feel hypo but Libre says you are not then blood test. Likewise if you feel really high but Libre stays your fine then again blood test.

thank you! That sounds like really good advice. I have heard they can be inaccurate so I’ll be sure to check if I’m not feeling it.

Reactions: Maco

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hia
First time poster, long time lurker.
I’ve been diagnosed with type one for a year but due to poor mental and other physical health I’ve basically not engaged with anything other than the minimum things I need to do (insulin)
So I’m getting a freestyle libre this week (hopefully) and I was wondering what people’s advice was to things I need to know or buy? I saw that people use stickers and pic line covers to protect it.
Also should I use the reader and the app or one over the other? Do they sync up together?

Sorry for a million questions, I feel like I’m learning a lifetime of information!

thank you
Tess

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.
What took you so long to post..

I don't use the reader. The app "Librelink" when you setup an account it can be shared with your nurse or endo. (a little like a Drop box account.) sharing the info.
But you do need to regularly scan.

There are also a couple of good third party apps that can be calibrated to your meter for greater accuracy on the sensor.
But always back up any errant BGs using your meter to be sure.

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Tessbear, I buy stickers for my libre but they're for decoration rather than to help keep them on. I know some people have trouble keeping the sensors on, but others like me have trouble getting them off at the end of the 2 weeks, I think it depends on your skin type, mine is quite dry. Make sure you wash the area you're going to be applying the sensor, I usually give it a bit of an exfoliation too, but no moisturiser or anything like that and then make sure you use the alcohol wipe that comes in the box with the sensor. I apply mine 24 hours before the current one expires, they can take a while to settle down and may be inaccurate for the first day. Although Abbott say the sensor is to be placed on your arm many others put them in other places, including thighs, tummy and chest. I just use my arm and that works well for me. You need to be aware of "compression lows" too, especially during the night, if you lay on your sensor it may say you are hypo for an extended period of time but it may be where it is being squashed, it's best to check with a blood test if that is a problem for you. I tend to get a "lo" if I'm hypo and laying on the sensor which can be a bit worrying if you wake in the night :nailbiting:
I use the reader as it can read through several layers of clothing, when using my phone I have to put it directly on the sensor. The reader and your phone don't sync together, if you're uploading to libreview you need to upload from both your phone and your reader.
Sorry that's a bit of an essay, but it's all things I've learnt from the forum that I have found useful to know :)

Tessbear

Thank you that’s all super useful information!
I’ve bought some adhesive patches to preempt it, as I reckon it’ll probably not want to stay on for me.
Yeah the placement is something that worries me a little, as I’m a bit scared of wanging it off door frames and such if It’s on my arm. Maybe I’ll just play around with areas.

Thank you!

Reactions: sleepster

UK T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Tessbear, I buy stickers for my libre but they're for decoration rather than to help keep them on. I know some people have trouble keeping the sensors on, but others like me have trouble getting them off at the end of the 2 weeks, I think it depends on your skin type, mine is quite dry. Make sure you wash the area you're going to be applying the sensor, I usually give it a bit of an exfoliation too, but no moisturiser or anything like that and then make sure you use the alcohol wipe that comes in the box with the sensor. I apply mine 24 hours before the current one expires, they can take a while to settle down and may be inaccurate for the first day. Although Abbott say the sensor is to be placed on your arm many others put them in other places, including thighs, tummy and chest. I just use my arm and that works well for me. You need to be aware of "compression lows" too, especially during the night, if you lay on your sensor it may say you are hypo for an extended period of time but it may be where it is being squashed, it's best to check with a blood test if that is a problem for you. I tend to get a "lo" if I'm hypo and laying on the sensor which can be a bit worrying if you wake in the night :nailbiting:
I use the reader as it can read through several layers of clothing, when using my phone I have to put it directly on the sensor. The reader and your phone don't sync together, if you're uploading to libreview you need to upload from both your phone and your reader.
Sorry that's a bit of an essay, but it's all things I've learnt from the forum that I have found useful to know :)
Great advice here, totally agree.

I too struggle to get them off after two weeks so haven't had one come off early even when exercising. We were told to put our arm out straight in front of us (parallel to the floor) then bend so that your hand is almost touching the shoulder of that same arm. This means you can attach the sensor to the back of your arm more easily, slightly in towards your body. I havent had any issues with the sensor catching on doorways etc by placing it here (rather than on the outside of your arm as some pictures suggest).

I also find my phone scans fine through layers (even my thick winter padded coats) but I have to hold the phone still to deliberately scan so it sometimes takes a few seconds longer. But only seconds... with the reader I find you can just sort of swipe quickly and it will work, but I find it far more convenient to use the app on my phone and add notes etc on there that you can then edit later. My DSN was surprised when I told her both phones I've had since getting libre have scanned through clothes. As I say, just hold it still over the sensor rather than swipe. Hope that helps!

Reactions: sleepster

Tessbear

Great advice here, totally agree.

I too struggle to get them off after two weeks so haven't had one come off early even when exercising. We were told to put our arm out straight in front of us (parallel to the floor) then bend so that your hand is almost touching the shoulder of that same arm. This means you can attach the sensor to the back of your arm more easily, slightly in towards your body. I havent had any issues with the sensor catching on doorways etc by placing it here (rather than on the outside of your arm as some pictures suggest).

I also find my phone scans fine through layers (even my thick winter padded coats) but I have to hold the phone still to deliberately scan so it sometimes takes a few seconds longer. But only seconds... with the reader I find you can just sort of swipe quickly and it will work, but I find it far more convenient to use the app on my phone and add notes etc on there that you can then edit later. My DSN was surprised when I told her both phones I've had since getting libre have scanned through clothes. As I say, just hold it still over the sensor rather than swipe. Hope that helps!

thank you for that advice, I’ll definitely try that placement rather than the outside of the arm.
I hope my phone scans well too! I’m going to try both the reader and my phone, but I imagine I’ll end up using my phone just for practicality sake.

thank you!

Reactions: UK T1