Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cycling,
How do you train?

If so, what sort of training do you do.

How does it affect your blood sugar levels?

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Training as in exercise?
I'm in truly horrible shape, but I can still jump rope at high-intensity, and it drops my bg fast. If I have something bad, like macdonald's fries, my blood goes up to, say, 9.2- I will jump rope as fast as I can for 2 min (alternating feet style) then rest 1 min, then jump 2, and so on for as much as I can bear, and my blood usually goes back down to the 4's and 5's. Then problem being that I don't jump rope every time...

Reactions: Andy_Warlow

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would say unlike many people on here, i have dealt with my diabetes (to my current satisfaction) mostly by exercise and significant carb reduction but not removal. (~100 - 200g per day)

So i started, mostly using HIIT work outs, the theory of High intensity interval is that it helps force your body to burn its stores of glucose rapidly which helps clear our your stores and is supposed to be very effective at reducing fat in your liver. (all i can say is my liver was close to scaring and its now healthy)

HIIT is easy, and you can do it at home - although i used to like doing group classes at the gym best (stupid covid!). the idea is, that for 30 - 45 seconds you put your body into "running from a bear mode" where you give it everything you have - if you can talk your not going hard enough - then you get 15 to 30 seconds rest before going onto the next 30. It forces your body to draw on glucose reserves where as traditional fat burning exercise it can by pass some of the stores and go for your slow burn fat cells which means you loose weight but don't necessarily get rid of stored glucose.

HIIT also tends to be allot of body weight exercise stuff, squats, lunges, press up etc, this works and builds major muscle groups which also reduces insulin resistance.

I found i got really quite fit, quite quickly - which mean i got do other fat burning exercise much better. Like when i started i could barely run 1km, 3 months of Hitt and i went out and did a steady 5km run without any running training. Then built that up to half marathon distance in 6 months. Not because i did loads of running, but because i was getting fitter because of hitt.

Once i got the weight off, i have moved to a mix of cardio (running) Hiit (for core and cardio) and weight lifting to work major muscle groups.

Early on i found my bloods went high, to 8's or 9's on Hitt, as i cleared out all my stores i found that dropped to barely rising, to now where if im going to work hard i actually need to fuel up before or during to avoid crashing.

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
How do you train?

If so, what sort of training do you do.

How does it affect your blood sugar levels?

I do weight training five days a week, kind of an upper/lower body split routine. Sometimes heavy, sometimes I rep out. I end every set to failure. I train in the morning 8:30 to 11:30ish. I usually eat around 7:30am, to or three eggs and a cup of joe, I eat right after training

81966BD0-3789-49B9-9247-751B42826505.jpeg

nutribolt

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I do strength training mainly because combining strength training with fasting ensures lean mass and reduces potential muscle loss. I don't do heavy weights max 10 Kg.

Other than that I try doing cardio twice a week but I have seen cardio does result in a short spike in BG although with low carb / fasting it never crosses the danger threshold of 7.5 but before that it used to go all the way to 11 or even 13 at times.