Covid vaccine

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm a 78 year old T2 with currently rather too high blood pressure and I had my first (Pfizer) vaccination a week ago yesterday. So far, only a very short term achey arm for a few hours overnight afterwards. No increase in glucose levels, but I have had a bit of a headache & been feeling tired over the last couple of days which I expect is a normal reaction.

Same age, non diabetic, high BP, husband vaccinated at the same time is also still alive and kicking...

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Was treated with care and compassion at the vaccine centre, by staff and volunteers who were very thorough in checking my health records and selecting the most appropriate vaccine for my needs.
Do you mean they had more than one type of vaccine? What sort of needs?

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do you mean they had more than one type of vaccine? What sort of needs?
Yes, they had the Pfizer, which they were giving as standard, but due to my medical conditions they considered information in records and my own information from my medical advisers, and decided to use the Oxford AZ one.I did not have a choice.

Reactions: zand

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My husband and I just booked for this coming Thursday.
We are both under 70.
The jabs are being done a couple of miles away.
My brother in law who is the same age as me has also booked a jab, but will have to travel to a site 10 miles away. He lives in South Yorkshire and I am on the Dorset coast.
My sister, older than my husband, has not been contacted.
I know that the powers that be are still advising caution, but it will be a huge relief - though even more so when the second one comes around.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Had the Oxford vaccine yesterday am 61. Done 10 mins from house at local GP. Had a bad night with aches and pains. Felt cold and shivery and was delirious, probably due to a high temperature. Today aching arm but absolutely fine. To be honest I felt good it’s working.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Had the Oxford vaccine yesterday am 61. Done 10 mins from house at local GP. Had a bad night with aches and pains. Felt cold and shivery and was delirious, probably due to a high temperature. Today aching arm but absolutely fine. To be honest I felt good it’s working.
Did your Type1 move you up the priority?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Morning, I received my first vaccine yesterday, Pfizer.
Very nice friendly and helpful staff too. It all went like clockwork, we are given a card with the date of vaccine, the batch number and the date of the second one, same time same place.
A taxi company in my town was giving free taxi rides to the cantre, free of charge, which was great as it was too far for me to walk and some buses have changed their route and times too.
Side affects : I have a sore arm and had nausea late last night, but still here alive and kicking.

Reactions: Dudette1
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

I had the pfizer jab, like you I'm in my 60's, 63 in a couple of weeks.

Reactions: Dudette1

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wouldn't of thought so. The only thing that moved up was my BG, but that was hours later !!
I think diabetes has moved you from group 7 to group 6. I was interested because my wife is 69 and in group 5 and they haven't started that group yet in my area. I have had my jab but it doesn't make any practical difference until my wife has her's.

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
Surely pushing a 1 inch long needle into your arm would cause a little bit of pain afterwards no matter if it contained a vaccine or not !

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think diabetes has moved you from group 7 to group 6. I was interested because my wife is 69 and in group 5 and they haven't started that group yet in my area. I have had my jab but it doesn't make any practical difference until my wife has her's.
Yes diabetes with no other conditions is group 6 which is after all over 65s are done. But I believe it may be area dependent so some areas may be further ahead now

John2003

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Had my Astra Zeneca first jab yesterday, 8th Feb. Other than slight tenderness at the site of the injection I've had no ill effects. Is this good? Do 'flu like symptoms indicate the body is reacting to the vaccine and building an immune response? Have I not reacted to the presence of the vaccine in my system - not sure what to think.

65yrs old, T2D since 2003.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Surely pushing a 1 inch long needle into your arm would cause a little bit of pain afterwards no matter if it contained a vaccine or not !
Yes, I agree, I don't know why a sore arm is thought to be a side effect of the vaccine.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Some might find this enlightening too.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...-of-yellow-card-reporting#yellow-card-reports

Annex 1 contains the accumulated results so far.
Very informative, thank you. With any Yellow card reporting I find this partof the blurb a significant consideration:

When viewing the vaccine analysis print you should remember that:

• Reporters are asked to submit Yellow Card reports even if they only have a suspicion that the medicine may have caused the adverse reaction. The existence of an adverse reaction report in the print does not necessarily mean that the vaccine has caused the suspected reaction.
  • It may be difficult to tell the difference between something that has occurred naturally and a suspected adverse reaction. Sometimes these events can be part of the condition being treated rather than being caused by the vaccine.
  • Many factors have to be considered when assessing whether the vaccine has caused a reported adverse reaction. When monitoring the safety of vaccines and medicines, MHRA staff carry out careful analysis of these factors.

Reactions: Dark Horse

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes diabetes with no other conditions is group 6 which is after all over 65s are done. But I believe it may be area dependent so some areas may be further ahead now
Add in the factor of demographic age and health differences, plus the adverse weather currently, and it is hardly surprising that there are some regional variations in progress through the priority groups. Encouraging that to ensure people don’t get left behind , those over 70 are now being told contact NHS if they have not been invited to have a jab.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

I personally think the vaccination is now more in front in some area's, so that could be why I was given it earlier than I thought.
I am in group 6.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

I'm group 6.