Covid vaccine

Nicole T

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is getting stranger and stranger, tonight I heard about 2 friends in their late 30s, no health conditions, perfectly healthy and both been invited for their jabs! Separate health centres, both in Hampshire! Starting to wonder if I’ve not been put on the list ;-) oh well back to waiting for the postman :)
I e-mailed my GP surgery yesterday and they rang me this morning. The good news is that I am listed as cohort 6, and they've got through roughly half of the list in the last 10 days. The bad news is that my local centre has a shortage of vaccine, and isn't taking new bookings right now, with no information on how long it's going to be before they resume. So I'm back in limbo. Meanwhile, it seems that the JCVI is adding new groups to cohort 6, meaning that it'll take even longer to get through. Severe learning disabilities now qualifies, because people who have them have much higher than average fatality stats. I don't begrudge them being prioritised, but it feels like I'm going backwards in the queue all of the time. All having watched people younger than me without clinical vulnerabilities post "Yay! Got my jab!" on social media.

I've seen an e-mail from my son's school that invites parents to register as 'care workers' via the NHS booking site if they receive carer's allowance for a vulnerable individual. My ex is getting it because she receives the allowance for our autistic son. The irony being that he's lived with me throughout most of the pandemic. She's neither over 50 nor on the vulnerable list, so that could explain why the 30+ year olds are getting it.

If you still haven't heard anything, then I suggest you e-mail your GP for confirmation that you're listed as cohort 6 (any form and severity of diabetes, including diet managed, should qualify.) It's also worth putting your booking details into the NHS site daily. If they've added you to the list but forgotten or been unable to contact you, you should still be able to book your appointment on there. If your turn hasn't come around yet, then it will simply refuse your booking.

https://www.nhs.uk/book-a-coronavirus-vaccination/

Reactions: Daisychain1

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just learned in Ireland those between 16-64 with underlying conditions were being prioritised. Then I saw the list, only those with "uncontrolled diabetes" were being moved up. Ooooh la de da . . . the lucky ducks. Here's me low carbing & exercising like a fool.

Reactions: Dudette1

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just learned in Ireland those between 16-64 with underlying conditions were being prioritised. Then I saw the list, only those with "uncontrolled diabetes" were being moved up. Ooooh la de da . . . the lucky ducks. Here's me low carbing & exercising like a fool.
Did they give any indication what "uncontrolled" meant?

Buzzer81

Over 24 hours now since Pfizer jab. Sore arm continues although it really is mild, I wouldn’t lay on it tho. I feel very tired suddenly last night but that only lasted 2 hours and when it came to bedtime, I just could not sleep at all! Struggled to nod off but I have to say, so far today I feel pretty good. Fingers crossed I’m through the worst :) especially as my area has just widened surge testing for the South African variant

Daisychain1

Now hearing of several under 50s no health issues all having had their jabs I was starting to feel like maybe my health record wasn’t up to date? Anyway got the courage to phone my gp and asked if I was in group 6 as I am diabetic and a carer? The receptionist said well if you’d have listened to the message before speaking to me you would know not to phone and ask me anything about covid, but as you’re now on the phone I’ll look, yes you are group 6 but it will be a few weeks yet before you are contacted! Ooookaaaaaay, Thank you for checking for me (that told me didn’t it) :)

Reactions: Dudette1

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Jab 9 days ago.
London expected group 6
60+ t2d +asthma

Pfizer, ..straight forward.
The tiniest of tenderness around site if I raised arm above head height
otherwise. Nothing.

felt fine that day and since

Nicole T

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My autistic son's school came through for me yesterday: put me on the system as a carer in the morning, and got me an appointment for the same afternoon. AstraZeneca. I was advised to have it in the arm I don't usually lie on in bed, which happens to be my right, even though I'm right handed. Some tiredness, slight dizziness and a migraine style headache last night. The headache improved with taking paracetamol and keeping my eyes shut. This morning, I've got an ache in my arm which is comparable with a new Libre sensor. And in roughly the same place.

I still think questions need to be answered. Certainly in my area. It's supposed to be Cheshire and Merseyside Partnership, and their mission statement is to 'combat inequalities in healthcare across Cheshire and Merseyside.' So it's incredulous that they've run this as a postcode lottery, with Merseyside doing cohort 6 before the 15th, telling people accompanying the elderly "we might as well do yours now" and very obviously going right the way to cohort 9 from the 15th, while Cheshire has been left with a vaccine shortage half way through cohort 6, 10 days later.

Hats off to the people on the ground, making this happen. Heads need to roll, higher up the chain.

Blood sugar 8.1 this morning. I've been running 6's to low 7's since Christmas (when I've been bothering to test) so this is an abnormally high one for me. It could be coincidence, or could still be the tail end of sleep loss over the last few days. Worst case scenario, it's spiked me around 1 to 1.5 mmol/L, which I doubt is really a short term concern for anyone unless they have very high figures to start with.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

To be fair, 'uncontrolled' doesn't mean these people are gorging on a 1000 carbs a day or totally not trying to manage their condition or throwing caution to the wind. There are many reasons a person's hb1ac may be raised for example and the term used is 'controlled or uncontrolled'. It would include all diabetics as well so some are far more likely to have higher hb1ac's anyway. They're hardly 'lucky' to have a higher hb1ac.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thing is... so you and I are both making positive changes to our lives and health. This will help offset our risk in general. Personally I now do have controlled bloods and good BMI, at the start I didn’t.

would you rather be at more risk by being in the higher danger zone but higher priority for vaccine potentially or be healthier and wait a little longer

now, I have no idea how my decade+ of diabetes as impacted so do think I am more at risk and so should be in cohort 6, but all in all I think we did the right thing

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thing is... so you and I are both making positive changes to our lives and health. This will help offset our risk in general. Personally I now do have controlled bloods and good BMI, at the start I didn’t.

would you rather be at more risk by being in the higher danger zone but higher priority for vaccine potentially or be healthier and wait a little longer

now, I have no idea how my decade+ of diabetes as impacted so do think I am more at risk and so should be in cohort 6, but all in all I think we did the right thing

Yep, I was a little tongue in cheek about it . . just having a laugh.
I'd definately put up with a 3 month vaccine delay, small price to pay for being controlled.

Reactions: KK123

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My BGs were well controlled until I caught Covid-19. I have just had my worst HbA1c result ever. Glad to have had the vaccine now.

Daisychain1

Yay! Just got my letter! Booked for Monday, didn’t get it for diabetes though, got it for being a carer, got to admit I’m really nervous and I know it’s stupid being a bit scared of the needle as I inject everyday, but keep thinking ‘it’s a bigger needle!’ Sure it’s all in my head so I’ll be ok :) just feeling really grateful:)

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yay! Just got my letter! Booked for Monday, didn’t get it for diabetes though, got it for being a carer, got to admit I’m really nervous and I know it’s stupid being a bit scared of the needle as I inject everyday, but keep thinking ‘it’s a bigger needle!’ Sure it’s all in my head so I’ll be ok :) just feeling really grateful:)
Don’t know if it helps Daisy but me and OH had ours yesterday and we both agreed we felt it much less than the flu jab and that was hardly at all.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had the AZ, didn't feel the needle at all, must be very fine, no sore arm or other side effects. My wife had the Pfizer, she was the same, not even a tiny mark and she bruises very easily due to taking blood thinners.

Buzzer81

I honestly didn’t even know I’d had mine! I looked away and the woman had to tell me it was over! I was anxious about it as well so I totally can relate!