HELP PLEASE

greensquares

I have an absolute craving for something sweet but very low carb - anyone got any ideas please? I've had a cup of tea to try and take the edge off but it hasn't worked.

I feel like taking a sleeping tablet to get away from it all.

Not stable.

mazza 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Greensquares, how about some raspberries with cream, coffee with cream. I get like that sometimes so I make some low carb biscuits or chocolate mug cake (receipt on diet doctor). It seems to help. I'm sure other members will have some better suggestions. Chin up, it will pass. Sleep well.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
dark chocolate with or without peanut butter on top
sugar free jelly with or without double cream on top

Reactions: Pura Vida

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A square of dark chocolate chopped up into cream then in microwave just for a few seconds. Warm, tasty and very satisfying.

Much better than sleeping tablet

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
An egg with 60gm of mozzarella cheese, blend, pour into a bowl and add a teaspoon of psyllium powder, stir and melt some butter in a frying pan - make into small pancakes. Cook gently as they are rather fragile and flip with a fish slice (that is why they should be small). Keep them warm in a low oven, then eat with lemon juice and granular sweetener.

greensquares

An egg with 60gm of mozzarella cheese, blend, pour into a bowl and add a teaspoon of psyllium powder, stir and melt some butter in a frying pan - make into small pancakes. Cook gently as they are rather fragile and flip with a fish slice (that is why they should be small). Keep them warm in a low oven, then eat with lemon juice and granular sweetener.
what is psyllium powder please - i'm in the UK.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Diabetic means you are unable to deal with carbohydrates, which are starches and sugars.
You can get some useful things off Amazon or other mail order firms.
I get various flours, and nuts to grind up.
Psyllium comes as either husk or flour. It is fibre and it makes the pancake batter gloopy.
I get coconut flour, ground almonds, soy flour (which I use sparingly) xanthan gum, which makes baking more like things done with wheat flour. I use wheat gluten to make bread rise using yeast (otherwise the gas escapes). The particular batch of psyllium I have turns purple if heated, but I add milled seeds to most things so it isn't too startling.

mazza 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A lot of people go low carb to control their diabetes which can also aid weight loss if you need to lose a few pounds. What sort of diet are you on. A good website for a low carb diet is diet doctor.com. Have a look and your'll find loads of lovely recipes and snacks.

Pete_

Have nothing to add to this topic but I'm taking loads from it. When I saw "psyllium powder", I thought it might be mushrooms. Not even close! But you should try a mushroom omelette for breakfast. Mushrooms count as protein in your diet. Not to mention the Selenium, antioxidants and other micronutrients. If you get bored with mushrooms, try smoked haddock as an alternate. Cut a standard portion in half though and no more than 5 button or 3 large mushrooms. No Butter in the frying pan, get a small non-stick frying pan, instead.
I can suggest cocoa, made with milk, for the last drink of the day. I don't buy semi or full skimmed milk for this, as it destroys what you want. I can hear the cries of NOOOOO! but to them I say, sleep is guaranteed, which is what you want. You're not going to put on pounds/kilos on, just by having a really good nights sleep. And anyway, things always look better in the morning...P.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
"
[QUOTE="Pete_, post: 2376491, member: 539181
. And anyway, things always look better in the morning...P.[/QUOTE]

I Don't!

To add: I use artificial sweeteners. The one I have of choice is Sucralose, but Stevia is a natural low-carb sweetener. These are others, but some give gastric after burns, so beware. Some are a hazard to furballs and hounds, and treat with care (use the same precautions as chocolate for humans)

Last edited:

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I saw "fat bombs" mentioned a while back when I was lurking on the forum, I cannot remember the members name to tag though.

But here is a link for them to get you satisfying your cravings.

tasty-banana-cupcakes-with-peanut-butter-frosting-picture-id521988066-1-752x401.jpg

https://www.bulletproof.com/recipes/keto-recipes/fat-bombs-recipes-1b2b3c4b4t/

JMoli

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a few squares of Pure chocolate, it’s a dairy free chocolate bar and lower carb - it tastes so good! I think it featured on dragons den, it’s a bit pricey but lovely for a treat as it tastes just like ordinary milk chocolate and comes in lots of flavours

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Lots of great ideas here - I also try diet jelly with some cream, also some peanut butter with or without cream. I use one which is made with the skin on and has very low carbs. I am strict with it as it is delicious.