50 years and counting

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just did a bit of checking dates and history to discover that I'd passed the 50 year milestone in December 2020, so this month its 50 years.

Its amazing how life has changed over this time, from glass syringes, stainless needles and chemical kit for testing urine to today where I've got a CGM and pump that adjusts itself based upon my glucose levels.

In the 1970's/80's I took part in lots of research that resulted in the pens and blood test strips plus meters we have today.

I'm just in the process of gathering the evidence to pass on to Diabetes UK for my Alan Nabarro medal.

Last edited:

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello what a fantastic milestone! are you celebrating tonight? I got the drinks ready, mostly gin with diet lemonade or tonic water. :)

Reactions: Chas C
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Fantastic news, well done @Chas C it's lovely to read such an inspirational and positive post ⭐:)

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Just did a bit of checking dates and history to discover that I'd passed the 50 year milestone in December 2019, so this month its 51 years.

Its amazing how life has changed over this time, from glass syringes, stainless needles and chemical kit for testing urine to today where I've got a CGM and pump that adjusts itself based upon my glucose levels.

In the 1970's/80's I took part in lots of research that resulted in the pens and blood test strips plus meters we have today.

I'm just in the process of gathering the evidence to pass on to Diabetes UK for my Alan Nabarro medal.
Congratulations - the average person has no idea what this truly means! I'm amazed you weren't contacted at the time - that's what used to happen. Keep up the excellent work and good luck

barbarapreston

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Large dogs, loud music and bad language
Congratulations join the club.I'm celebrating today 67 years since I was diagnosed aged 10 ,I've already got the 50 and 60 year medals am aiming for the 70 now. Had my vaccine 9 days ago, Pfizer one,and no after effects at all.

dani96xx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Just did a bit of checking dates and history to discover that I'd passed the 50 year milestone in December 2019, so this month its 51 years.

Congratulations, this is what every type 1 diabetic likes to see

dani96xx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Congratulations join the club.I'm celebrating today 67 years since I was diagnosed aged 10 ,I've already got the 50 and 60 year medals am aiming for the 70 now. Had my vaccine 9 days ago, Pfizer one,and no after effects at all.
Wow, congratulations and of course you will hit the 70

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
A massive well done to you 40 years here yep. I remember all the glass and metal syringes , chemical set for testing urine . Portions,
Well done to you here’s to the next 40 years

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
Fantastic
Only 47 years for me but I too remember clinitest tablets and line diets.
If ever I come across a time machine i'm going forward to see if we ever find a cure.
When I look back to what I did then i'm amazed i'm still alive so good for you.

good luck
tony

finsit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow, well done. Would you through a little light on your journey, how your a1c have been throughout these years and complication or reversal. Just gathering data to understand correlation among diabetes length, BG levels (a1c) and complications, so it will be really helpful.

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

Glucobabu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Fantastic
Only 47 years for me but I too remember clinitest tablets and line diets.
If ever I come across a time machine i'm going forward to see if we ever find a cure.
When I look back to what I did then i'm amazed i'm still alive so good for you.

good luck
tony
Me 46 years and still plodding on. And yes I have kept my momentos of glass syringe, needles, test tube etc. It’s all gone by so fast!

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Wow, well done. Would you through a little light on your journey, how your a1c have been throughout these years and complication or reversal. Just gathering data to understand correlation among diabetes length, BG levels (a1c) and complications, so it will be really helpful.
A little light on my journey , absolutely rubbish control for over 20 years Hb 1ac always in the 90s! Result below knee amputation in 2014! Was diagnosed in. 1980 . Heart attack with stent fitted in 2010 so to be honest have used up most if not all plus a few more of my 9 lives , but still here living the dream ! Far better controlled now Hb1ac now in very low
50s thanks to the Libre .no other serious complications

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Based on a request, earlier today posted a brief history but the original requestor decided it deserved an "optimistic" rating which seemed quite rude to me so I've removed my post, seems you can get them everywhere.

finsit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Based on a request, earlier today posted a brief history but the original requestor decided it deserved an "optimistic" rating which seemed quite rude to me so I've removed my post, seems you can get them everywhere.
Hi @Chase C , Im not sure if you are referring to me for some sort of rating i gave. If it is so, then please understand it must be a mistake on my part because im new to these symbols, or just a wrong click while doing it on useful. My apologies if it offended you, but not that i meant to click on that. Cheers.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well it took 50 yrs to get one but it arrived today :)
7BE5A821-9416-48AF-8A6C-AB5E49D72044_1_105_c.jpeg