1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

50 years and counting

Discussion in 'Success Stories and Testimonials' started by Chas C, Dec 1, 2020.

1. Chas C

Chas C Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Just did a bit of checking dates and history to discover that I'd passed the 50 year milestone in December 2020, so this month its 50 years.

Its amazing how life has changed over this time, from glass syringes, stainless needles and chemical kit for testing urine to today where I've got a CGM and pump that adjusts itself based upon my glucose levels.

In the 1970's/80's I took part in lots of research that resulted in the pens and blood test strips plus meters we have today.

I'm just in the process of gathering the evidence to pass on to Diabetes UK for my Alan Nabarro medal.

• Winner Winner x 12
    • Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    #1 Chas C, Dec 1, 2020 at 2:07 PM
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
  2. MeiChanski

MeiChanski Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hello what a fantastic milestone! are you celebrating tonight? I got the drinks ready, mostly gin with diet lemonade or tonic water. :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Chas C

Yep g&t is definitely ready to go :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

Fantastic news, well done @Chas C it's lovely to read such an inspirational and positive post ⭐:)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Grant_Vicat

Grant_Vicat Don't have diabetes · Well-Known Member

Congratulations - the average person has no idea what this truly means! I'm amazed you weren't contacted at the time - that's what used to happen. Keep up the excellent work and good luck

• Like Like x 1
  6. barbarapreston

barbarapreston Type 1 · Member

Congratulations join the club.I'm celebrating today 67 years since I was diagnosed aged 10 ,I've already got the 50 and 60 year medals am aiming for the 70 now. Had my vaccine 9 days ago, Pfizer one,and no after effects at all.

• Like Like x 3
  7. dani96xx

dani96xx Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Congratulations, this is what every type 1 diabetic likes to see

• Like Like x 2
  8. dani96xx

dani96xx Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Wow, congratulations and of course you will hit the 70

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. HomerSimpson

HomerSimpson Type 1 · Active Member

Congratulations!

• Like Like x 2
  10. Ushthetaff

Ushthetaff Type 1 · Well-Known Member

A massive well done to you 40 years here yep. I remember all the glass and metal syringes , chemical set for testing urine . Portions,
    Well done to you here’s to the next 40 years

• Like Like x 3
  11. Tony337

Tony337 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Fantastic
    Only 47 years for me but I too remember clinitest tablets and line diets.
    If ever I come across a time machine i'm going forward to see if we ever find a cure.
    When I look back to what I did then i'm amazed i'm still alive so good for you.

good luck
    tony

• Like Like x 2
  12. zamalik

zamalik Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Wow, well done. Would you through a little light on your journey, how your a1c have been throughout these years and complication or reversal. Just gathering data to understand correlation among diabetes length, BG levels (a1c) and complications, so it will be really helpful.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Glucobabu

Glucobabu Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Me 46 years and still plodding on. And yes I have kept my momentos of glass syringe, needles, test tube etc. It’s all gone by so fast!

• Like Like x 2
  14. Ushthetaff

Ushthetaff Type 1 · Well-Known Member

A little light on my journey , absolutely rubbish control for over 20 years Hb 1ac always in the 90s! Result below knee amputation in 2014! Was diagnosed in. 1980 . Heart attack with stent fitted in 2010 so to be honest have used up most if not all plus a few more of my 9 lives , but still here living the dream ! Far better controlled now Hb1ac now in very low
    50s thanks to the Libre .no other serious complications

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Chas C

Based on a request, earlier today posted a brief history but the original requestor decided it deserved an "optimistic" rating which seemed quite rude to me so I've removed my post, seems you can get them everywhere.

• Hug Hug x 1
  16. zamalik

zamalik Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi @Chase C , Im not sure if you are referring to me for some sort of rating i gave. If it is so, then please understand it must be a mistake on my part because im new to these symbols, or just a wrong click while doing it on useful. My apologies if it offended you, but not that i meant to click on that. Cheers.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. Chas C

Well it took 50 yrs to get one but it arrived today :) 7BE5A821-9416-48AF-8A6C-AB5E49D72044_1_105_c.jpeg

• Winner Winner x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook