Home HbA1c tests

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It has been over a year since my last diabetes review. Surgery overwhelmed and not offering blood tests unless emergency. Although I am using a meter regularly, with average readings over last 3 months of 5.6, I am interested to know HbA1c.

Anyone used home HbA1c tests? Worth the effort, and expense? Any experiences good or bad to help me make up mind whether or not to order some. Or do I just wait until surgery can accommodate the need, as there are the other general blood tests outstanding too?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don’t have any personal experience of these type of tests, but I’ll tag in @Debandez , who I know has experience of them.

Reactions: Debandez

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you @Antje77 and @Rachox .
I am ashamed to say I did a search for previous threads on the subject, but couldn’t find them.
The words are rather short for our search bar, which doesn't like short words and doesn't seem to understand you put words in a certain order because you want to search for them in this order :facepalm:.
The trick in this case was remembering the name of someone having used those test, so I searched for 'posted by' :D

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The words are rather short for our search bar, which doesn't like short words and doesn't seem to understand you put words in a certain order because you want to search for them in this order :facepalm:.
The trick in this case was remembering the name of someone having used those test, so I searched for 'posted by' :D
To add to my angst I seemed to think it had been a mod, but couldn’t remember.
This is very useful, though. Thanks again, and thanks to that font of knowledge @DCUKMod . :)

Reactions: Antje77

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Pipp I recently used Monitor My Health. It’s an NHS lab that does the home testing ‘out of hours’. Very reasonable and fast service, although the lancets are brutal!

I’ve also used A1C now - ordered from here: https://home.bhr.co.uk/a1cnowr-self-check-4-test-pack-cardiochek - the result was within 0.1 of the Monitor My Health results around the same time (and a less traumatic lancet), although both were 3 points above the venous blood draw I had at my GPs (thrown in with some more urgent tests) about a month or so later.

Reactions: Rachox

OB87

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been thinking about getting one for my hba1c as doc isn't wanting to do another one for quite awhile. I used these home tests in the past for something other than diabetes. They are very quick to come in the post and results were back quickly. The problem I had was filling the tube with a finger prick test. I followed all the instructions they gave but found it very difficult to get enough blood. One of my tests was unreadable. So overall I wasn't too impressed. But I do really want to know my hba1c so I am considering it again and hopefully this time I'm better at the finger pricks!

Reactions: Pipp

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Pipp I recently used Monitor My Health. It’s an NHS lab that does the home testing ‘out of hours’. Very reasonable and fast service, although the lancets are brutal!

I’ve also used A1C now - ordered from here: https://home.bhr.co.uk/a1cnowr-self-check-4-test-pack-cardiochek - the result was within 0.1 of the Monitor My Health results around the same time (and a less traumatic lancet), although both were 3 points above the venous blood draw I had at my GPs (thrown in with some more urgent tests) about a month or so later.
Thanks, @Goonergal .
Of course, I will use home testing as an interim measure until GP servic3 is resumed, because other blood work is needed, too.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Rachox thanks for the tag.

I've used various methods of tracking my a1c.

When I was first diagnosed I tracked it with the mysugr app.

I find the mysugr app very accurate - when I put a good few readings a day in. But it does mean lots of finger pricking to get a very accurate reading as you know!

I have used a libre sensor for about 18 months. Self funded so expensive, and I find the first day or so it reads lower than actual, and last day also. This, over the months, has brought down my estimated a1c considerably (see below).

I've used Thriva (fab service). I found this a1c test extremely accurate. Swift turn around too.

i had my annual bloods done at my surgery September '20. I did an a1cnow test earlier in the morning so I could compare results. I had used Thriva for hba1c a few days before (I'm a little obsessive!). Thriva results were almost identical to my actuals for every test I requested (I asked for other tests too).

A1c - for info:

21/9 - GP - 36 (5.4)
21/9 - A1CNOW - 27 (4.6)
10/9 - thriva - 33 (5.2)
Libre sensor was 30 (4.9)

I usually buy 10 x a1cnow tests at a time. I do one a month. The expiry date is 6 months (120 days) so I'm pushing my luck but the results seem in range even past this date.

I usually buy 10 for about £115 from:

https://www.medisave.co.uk/bhr-a1cnow-hba1c-blood-testing-system-with-10-tests.html?

Or

https://millermedicalsupplies.com/a1cnowr-hba1c-whole-blood-tester.html

Hope this helps. If you have any other questions please fire away.

Reactions: Rachox

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Apologies for late response.
Thank you @Debandez for your detailed info.
It was the home A1c test I was interested in, and have ordered that online. I would be happier if my GP was doing my reviews, but that is not currently happening.

I have found the mysugr app to underestimate HbA1c in the past, and I am not able to use CGM due to other health conditions. Though I am sure others will find the info you have provided useful.

Reactions: Debandez

SMS1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Debandez would you know of a stockist in mainland europe who has these HbA1c meters?thanks

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Debandez would you know of a stockist in mainland europe who has these HbA1c meters?thanks

I'm so sorry I don't and would suggest a quick Google. I order from medisave, maybe they ship to mainland Europe. I find them reasonable. 10 tests for £125. You can pay that for just 4 with other companies!

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just an update, and thanks to all who offered advice.
Following @Goonergal ’s recommendation, I ordered a pack of 4 tests from this site:

https://www.bhr.co.uk/

cost £73.74

reading was 5.9%
Willbe interested to see comparison when I can get a GP test.
@Pipp was it easy to do and was the amount of blood required the same as an ordinary meter reading as I often have problems getting enough for that!

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Pipp was it easy to do and was the amount of blood required the same as an ordinary meter reading as I often have problems getting enough for that!
Yes, @Daphne917 , it was quite simple to use. In fact I found the blood sample collecting easier than usual. The kit includes everything you need. The lancet was particularly easy to use, then the blood collector tool drew up the amount of blood required.. The video explains all.
https://ptsdiagnostics.com/a1cnow-self-check/

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Fingers crossed for you @Pipp that it is accurate. I didn't have such luck when I did one about 3 years ago. (A1cNow) It came out at 33 or 5.2%. A week later my normal HbA1c came out at 43 or 6.1%. That is what started my GP on the "let's try a different lab" journey, and that's when there was a 4 point difference in two labs from the same vial of blood - one was 40 and one was 44. I then lost all faith in HbA1c tests and prefer results from my finger pricking.