Do you ALWAYS carry your diabetes gear? (insulin and glucose meter)

corbanwolf

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey. Even since I was diagnosed with diabetes I started carrying a backpack with me. I started carrying my insulin and my blood glucose meter with me everywhere. Even to the local shop which is 5 minutes away. And since I started carrying a backpack, I also filled it with unnecessary items like spare phone charger, wallet, tissues, pens (writing ones, not insulin ones, lol), glucotabs, pouch with insulin pens (shape and size of a pouch for glasses), and suddenly my backpack starts to be heavy (not super heavy, but the fact that there is a backpack). And recently I started running. When I run I only carry a glucotabs with me, phone and keys. I am not planning to eat when I run so I do not need to carry an insulin with me (which would be a bad idea anyway because the shakes and shock on insulin caused by running may damage it or something) I feel free like a bird again. And when I am going out not running I carry a heavy backpack with me again. Even when I am going to Morrisons or Tesco I have a backpack with all this stuff, which is helpful when doing shopping, but annoying when just going out. I like urban walks, I like having a long walks around London, and even tho I am not planning to eat. I still carry everything with me because, what if, what if i get to eat something, what if I get hungry and got no insulin on me.

So, do you carry your insulin with you? Do you have a backpack, or some waist pack or something on your hip? Best way to carry your stuff but doesn't put weight on your back.

Btw, I do not mean that the backpack is heavy, but when I wear a backpack, I feel like I am limited in some kind of way. Like I got some weight on my shoulders which I need to carry. It is weird to explain.

Also I mean in a way of meeting with friends, go clubbing, go partying. You wouldn't show up at a party or a club with backpack.
####################################################################################################

Also my question number 2.
How do you carry your gear when going clubbing.
When you are at the club you probably are gonna drink something. Beer, vodka, gin, cider etc. With some mixers, possibly pepsi zero or other zero sugar mixers. But beer itself increases glucose level and alcohol too. When if you need to inject insulin in a club. (let's assume you are lucky and have free style libre or similar), and no need to prick finger, but need to inject insulin. Do you ask a clothier to give you a backpack to get one thing and then you proceed to the bathroom? Or how to actually cope with that? What if you get refused to enter because you carry a needles which may pose a harm? How do you diabetics party?

(Mod edit).

Last edited by a moderator:

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Things have improved since I got a pump and Libre.
Both can be controlled by my phone so for a short trip, I just take my phone and a tube of GlucoTabs.
Right from the start, I ditched the case my blood sugar meter came in to minimise what I carried. I dislike all the waste that comes with my individually wrapped test strips but it dies mean I cam shove a strip of test strips in my pocket or purse rather than the full tub. Unless I was going to be out overnight, I only took my bolus insulin with me. This meant my basal was sometimes taken a bit late but as those nights coincided with a night of drinking, that wasn’t a terrible thing.

If I am out for a few hours and not within walking distance from home, I take more but avoid carrying the kitchen sink as my Mum used to do with her handbag.

I am sure I should take more and my DSN would be shocked to learn how little I carry but it has never been a problem for me not having a backup for my backup with me every time I leave the house.

Reactions: EllieM

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
I try to keep things simple and light. If going out for a meal or into town when we might perhaps decide to have a meal I carry my bolus insulin pen, reader and glucose tabs or jelly babies in a small shoulder bag. If heading out for a bike ride I carry just glucose, some form of protein bar and my reader in a belly bag.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Yes & no

If you drive you are required to have monitoring equipment with you.. As you are required to test prior to driving

If I'm out to eat or drink then yes I have it

If I'm out walking the dog I may only have my glocotabs with me... (Pre pump)

I now have a pump and dexcom so in that sense yes I always have it..

Even Pre pump it was never far away

As for what I carry it in... A small pencil case type bag

Reactions: EllieM

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Yeah, i got my "day pack." served me for over 20 years..

2021-02-15 16.25.09.jpg

I'll always have hypo treatment with me in my pockets. (Pretty much loaded up like a "pack mule" with that as a kid?)
But to be fair i only load what i need? if i was heading out for a short mission down the shop, i Just take my hypo stuff.
I wear a sensor these days which helps. However i do take my meter & bolus pen with me to work. (The day job.)
If i happen to be out on a hot day, my insulin pen goes in a Frio wallet to help keep it within temperature & not spoil..

OK. the "night scene?"

Personally i've never had issue with security. (They hear diabetic, go all "PC" hold their hands up & stand back like you had pulled a gun?) ;)
I do wear cargo trousers alot which also helps with the "stuff." So does something like a jacket with zip pockets you can throw over a chair?
Though clubs with a "dress code." will need planning.

I actually work in clubs as part of the "outsourced" entertainment as a member of a band, so the bag you see above it just part of the band gear loaded in for a gig.. Though i have been known to throw my stuff into my mic box too?

@corbanwolf , your party daze are not over.... :cool:

Reactions: ert and EllieM

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I always have glucotabs, and now a tester because I self fund a dexcom and take my phone. If it's only a short trip. I don't bother with a humalog pen, otherwise I have that too.

I recently invested in a fitbit watch which can pick up the readings from my phone, so I don't have to keep fishing my phone out when I'm on a walk, but I still have to have it on me. I have a tiny (18cm square) handbag which fits my phone, insulin pen and glucose and nothing else, so I've taken to carrying that, but in winter I'll put my gear in a zip up pocket in my coat. (Still too warm for a coat).

But when I was using a meter, and it was only a short walk, I'd sometimes only take my glucotabs. (I have a test before ever leaving the house policy.)

But yes, I'd love to be able to go out without my gear (including my phone) and welcome suggestions on how to carry it without excessively weighing down my pockets. Is there some kind of fa**ypack that would fit a phone, glucotabs, insulin pen?

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I fast until the afternoon so only take my hypo kit with me to work. I wear a Libre sensor.

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
I have an under-the-clothes belt with a couple of lycra pockets in it. It takes my pump, reader and emergency glucose. I have been known to forget I'm wearing it. Of course, I have an option you don't(sorry) - shove it all in the bra cleavage - disclaimer, only works above a certain cup size.

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Well I live in Scotland so a coat is not optional, i always carry my quick actin insulin if I’m out along with my phone ( use libre ) if I’m out walking the hills I use a back pack but around town I just carry some jelly baby’s and insulin pen it’s just hypos I watch for really My car well always has mini cans of diet cola spare needles , jelly babies and insulin cartridges and pens , insulin and sugary sweets are now like mobile phone car keys the moon and sun ... always there ,

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'd love to go out with nothing but my keys, but instead always carry everything. Meter, test strips, finger pricker, pen, needles, gluco juice, jelly babies, sensor reader, phone, tissues, purse, and of course nowadays a mask or two!!
When I was 20 I'd go to a night club with a small bag with tissues, money and my house key, and never came to any harm, but of course that was before blood glucose machines and insulin pens etc, so wouldn't do it now!!

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It depends where I'm going and how long I'm going to be out. I have a pump and a libre so that does reduce the amount of items needed. If I'm going for a walk around the block I take jelly babies and my libre reader, if I'm going to be out all day (doesn't happen now with covid though) I take BG meter, strips, lancets, spare cannula, ketone strips. If I'm away overnight I take back up pens, batteries for pump and meter, plus all the other stuff. More than one night adds even more stuff! I don't travel lightly and like to cover all eventualities :D

UK T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I now also have a libre so if I know I'm only out of the house briefly and am not planning on eating I'll just take my phone and some glucose tablets eg for a 20 min walk round the block. Will scan first to know I'm OK.

You can use the libre readings for driving but I'll always take my meter and novorapid if I'm doing any car journey just in case. I've got various small bags/running belts/hand bags depending on the situation and try to not have too much. I've put my meter, glucose testing strips, lancets, lancing device, novorapid insulin pen, dextro tablets and needles (and emergency £5 for more hypo treatment) in one pencil case which takes up less space than the holders they all originally came in. Depending on your coat pockets it might fit in those though (women's clothes seem to always have irritatingly small pockets?).

As for a night out, I'd go for a small over shoulder bag. I always do my basal when I get back in, so don't need to take it out with me. I might now be tempted just to take my bolus insulin, dextro and some needles now I have the libre. As long as I could get to my meter reasonable easily if I needed to.

I've had my bag searched at various security entrances (inc embassies) and the insulin and needles have never been an issue.

The frio is a good shout if you're out in boiling hot weather!

UK T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It depends where I'm going and how long I'm going to be out. I have a pump and a libre so that does reduce the amount of items needed. If I'm going for a walk around the block I take jelly babies and my libre reader, if I'm going to be out all day (doesn't happen now with covid though) I take BG meter, strips, lancets, spare cannula, ketone strips. If I'm away overnight I take back up pens, batteries for pump and meter, plus all the other stuff. More than one night adds even more stuff! I don't travel lightly and like to cover all eventualities :D
I think that sounds quite sensible! I was told to take enough overnight supplies to cover twice your length of stay anywhere. So for a weeks holiday away (ha, those were the days!) I always took two weeks worth of supplies.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I think that sounds quite sensible! I was told to take enough overnight supplies to cover twice your length of stay anywhere. So for a weeks holiday away (ha, those were the days!) I always took two weeks worth of supplies.

So in my case that's 1 lancet 1needle and my pen :)

I regularly spend a few days away and only took what I need but I do read on Facebook groups a lot of people are away and 1 of something short can some one help type messages

Thing to remember it's your life you can do as you wish but if you are out and don't have a plan on what to do if something doesn't goto plan then you are the only one at blame. And life doesn't always goto plan :-(

jackois

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I only take insulin out with me if I'll be eating out. The only thing I always take are jelly babies in my pocket. I have the Dexcom G6 which covers testing for driving and also provides a trend.

If eating out, I take a novorapid pen, pre-fitted with needle, although carb calculation is generally tricky.

Staying away ramps up the kit, spare sensor, both types of insulin pen, manual test kit and so on.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd like to point out man bags are available...

I often joke that I have a man bag
7edceda011cab15f5b1f65c450a63f02.jpg
edc55194089a5e5246853bf049f2526d.jpg
My dad (t2 on insulin) always used a camera bag to carry his kit about. Quite similar to this and the padding protected the contents well.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
My dad (t2 on insulin) always used a camera bag to carry his kit about. Quite similar to this and the padding protected the contents well.

I have a makeup/toiletry bag plain black looks like a camera bag but has straps and pockets for makeup etc. Which I use for longer times away keeps all the pump supplies organised