what are your sources of fats(ketogenic diet)

Drfarxan

Even if you eat a fatty meat or a veg with fats like an avocado,the fats are is usually 40% and the rest being mostly protein or carbs. Like for a fatty meat it would be 40% fats and 40% protein(which can raise your insulin). So what do you eat to make up fr the 75% fat nee in a ketogenic diet.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you looking at the macros by weight? Or by energy?

the last time I looked up the macros of a ribeye steak, they were almost spot on keto. Around 80% of energy from fat, the rest (20%) protein.

It is easy to make foods such as salad keto simply by not eating carbs, and by adding a dab of Mayo or having coleslaw. Green veg are nice with melting butter. :wacky:
Of course the choice of fat or oil is something else to consider. :)

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Meats, dairy, eggs, butter, that sort of stuff.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
These days I tend to stick to natural fats attached to animal foods, rather than adding fats to what I eat. So fats on meat, fish, eggs.

This has been an evolution and am currently limiting dairy and prioritising protein as I’m working on changing body composition/dropping some weight that has crept on over an 18 month period. Seems to be having the desired effect.

In my opinion it’s not helpful to ‘chase’ macros. Rather, identify ‘safe’ (from a blood glucose perspective) and eat them to satiety. As with everything, it depends what your goals are.

This video (about an hour, but worth it) contains an interesting perspective on the protein vs fat / raising insulin issue. My n=1 concurs with the view in the video, but as with everything it depends on the individual:

https://highintensityhealth.com/why-high-protein-diets-help-you-lose-fat-w-dr-ted-naiman/

Editing to say there is an annoying ad at the start that can’t just be skipped through, but it is the only one. None pop up later!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I rarely need to add any fat - I don't track anything but carbs though.
The fat in my diet comes from meat fish eggs cheese, a little from the butter I use to cook scrambled eggs, and I use an oil and vinegar salad dressing and there is the coleslaw - and the cream in my coffee - I use a double teaspoon in a large mug.

Reactions: Drfarxan

Roggg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
An avocado has about 20g of fat, 3g protein, 2g net carbs. Roughly. So as far as macros go, it'd 80/12/8 BY MASS. But we dont go by mass... we go by calories, and fat is more than twice as calorie dense as the other two, so in actuality it's more like 90/6/4. Which not only fits in keto, but allows room for some other carb-carrying keto friendly foods.

This is using a net carb model of course. An avocado also has 10g of fiber. I guess if you're tracking total carb this might be a challenge. Things like avocados are why I use net carbs and not total carb for tracking.

I dont find it hard getting my fats. I eat a lot of bacon and eggs with butter and cheese. My carbs come mostly from nuts and compatible veg like cauliflower and romaine lettuce. Lettuce is always served with Caesar dressing which also bumps up the fat.

Some days I'm close to carnivore. Today breakfast and lunch were full carnivore. I've had pot roast, eggs, bacon, and sausages. For dinner I'm having cauliflower rice beef risotto. It has cream cheese, and heavy cream in it. I'm pretty sure my macros will be spot on at the end of the day.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Fats from cream, butter, oils mainly.
Eggs and cheese.
Fat included with meat.
Mayo now and then.

Drfarxan

Are you looking at the macros by weight? Or by energy?

the last time I looked up the macros of a ribeye steak, they were almost spot on keto. Around 80% of energy from fat, the rest (20%) protein.

It is easy to make foods such as salad keto simply by not eating carbs, and by adding a dab of Mayo or having coleslaw. Green veg are nice with melting butter. :wacky:
Of course the choice of fat or oil is something else to consider. :)
Am i getting this wrong then? cause below even for a rib eye steak it says only 33% is from fats while 48% is from protein. I am new to nutrition but it seems to me you need something fatty to eat with your rib eye steak to get into ketosis
upload_2021-3-26_10-21-29.png

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Am i getting this wrong then? cause below even for a rib eye steak it says only 33% is from fats while 48% is from protein. I am new to nutrition but it seems to me you need something fatty to eat with your rib eye steak to get into ketosis
View attachment 48342
Yes,

you are looking at the weight of the fat and the protein.

you should be looking at the energy values of the fat and the protein.
Remember that carbs have half the energy (calories) as fat does per gram.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
started using alot of mayo as a side dish lately especially when eating chicken breasts which has little fats
Maybe eat the whole chicken - not all at once - but cooking swede and mushrooms in the juice from the roasting seems more normal to me - mayonnaise is often made from seed oils.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
View attachment 48342

Yes, the macro percentages are calculated using the calories from each source. Ribeye (Waitrose) as below (ignore the stray ‘256’ in the far right column). It’s actually (from personal experience) pretty hard to match protein to fats 1:1 as one gram of fat has more than double (9 v 4) the calories of one gram of protein.

FE1334AA-C625-45B8-8E2A-88D39BBD4768.jpeg

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Never been a kitchen guy guess i have to learn. Which oil do you use? olive oil?
Personally I rarely if ever use mayo so never bothered with it.
But there is avocado oil, olive oil or various nut oils that you could use some even use bacon fat for baconaisse.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've always eaten normal full fat food (for over 70 years before I was diagnosed T2) so I just tend to eat a bit more of the same. So full fat dairy products, fattier meats, oily fish, chicken with skin on, nuts in various forms, oils, olives, avocados.... I try to eat enough of these to keep me from feeling hungry, and have never never actually bothered with macros. My protein consumption hasn't really changed, it's just been a carbs & fats balancing act, and my meter and body tell me how well I'm doing (or not).

Apart from going very low cab (based on original Atkins induction phase 20-25g carbs) for a few weeks and long enough to confirm I was keto/fat adapted I've simply eaten a very low carb diet with an approx maximum 50g carbs a day, sometimes a bit more or sometimes quite a lot less.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Never been a kitchen guy guess i have to learn. Which oil do you use? olive oil?
Start with simple wins, I can now cook up a meal which others will eat. A quick alternative to mayo is to whisk some avocado with Greek yogurt and salt, or Greek yogurt, add some melted cheddar and dash of hot pepper sauce.

Reactions: PiersAaron