Anyone been automatically put onto statins after type 1for 50 years?

Dianemacfaden

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ugliness
I have reached 50 years since diagnosis now aged 60
No complications other than background retinopathy and long term back pain - on pregabalin for that.
Cholesterol levels have been creeping up slowly around 5 but not dangerously high and blood pressure always ok.
Not sure what to do as don’t like the idea of having to take another tablet. I know statistics are all for statins and we are at greater risk of circulation problems. Any advice out there would be appreciated.

Reactions: DJTT1

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
No complications other than background retinopathy and long term back pain - on pregabalin for that.
Cholesterol levels have been creeping up slowly around 5 but not dangerously high and blood pressure always ok.
Not sure what to do as don’t like the idea of having to take another tablet. I know statistics are all for statins and we are at greater risk of circulation problems. Any advice out there would be appreciated.
The cholesterol number at which a diabetic is considered to benefit from statins is lower than that of non diabetics so at some point your number has triggered this 'offer' by your doctor who genuinely believes that because more diabetics get heart disease and heart disease is causally linked to higher ldl cholesterol that giving a drug that lowers that number will reduce your risk of disease.
It is up to you to decide just how at risk you are versus risk of statin side effects.
Lots here do not believe that statins offer benefits outweighing the risks so it is controversial and you may wish to find out a little more.
Personally I find it irritating to be automatically lumped into any group on account of diabetes e.g. 'vulnerable' and 'arteries must be furry' but that's just me.
My father age 70+ and overweight with type 2 takes the view that if he is told to take a tablet by his GP then that's good enough and he does take them and has had no side effects.

Reactions: LWA and Ledzeptt

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I don't know about 50 years of diabetes. But I had nearly 50 on this planet with over 40 years T1.
Then surprisingly I was offered them?!! "Gentleman of a certain age."

I made an informed decision & respectfully declined.

However my 87 year old non D mum is prescribed them. & don't seem to have "side effects."

Reactions: Dianemacfaden

35yearsofType1

Hi - I’ve had a recent conversation with my consultant - I’ve been diabetic for 36 years (I’m 37) cholesterol was 4.1 at my last appointment and he sent me a letter saying I needed to start statins - apparently there has been some guidance that anyone over 40 who has type 1 should take statins and that cholesterol should be under 4. I argued that I’m not 40 yet! So I’m holding off for a little while.

Also there is an algorithm they use to calculate your risk. It’s called QRISK2 and if you type it into google you can put your own data in - if I remember correctly if your result is less than 10 then there is much of a reason to take them. It calculates you risk of cardiovascular disease within the next 10 years.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed at 65 and prescribed Atorvastatin - one a day hit me like a quarter century and I was wandering around in a daze in just over a month.
Some people are fine but some are very very not so.
I have recovered, but I was preparing for one last Christmas (2016) until I realised I was not going senile and the tablets went into the bin.

Reactions: donnellysdogs

Peter03

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have been on statins for the last 26 years, do they help I don't know but I will carry on taking them, I have only had one doctor tell me to stop, his reason was they were American and he hated Americans so I ignored his advice in fact it was not not long after that, that I told him I did not like him much and changed doctors same practice different doctor, I enjoyed telling him how good my new doctor was and is

Reactions: 35yearsofType1

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
When I was the grand age of 32 my GP said I should start taking statins as I was approaching middle age :D
I took them for a year or so, with no side effects but haven't had my cholesterol tested since starting to know if it was worth it. I did stop taking them about a month ago, but that was mainly down to laziness. When I started them it was 22 years after diagnosis, I think the GP said they were recommended for people who have had diabetes for 10 years+

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I know last year when I went to annual diabetic review at the docs, my DN told me that all diabetics over 40 at the surgery were basically being advised to take statins, however she said that she presumed I'd want to decline them so had marked it as such before I even had to say anything :) - admittedly my total cholesterol of 2.9 may have made have helped in her decision to assume I would decline them

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I was prescribed statins when diagnosed with hba1c of 48 as I was told by my DN that “all diabetics should take statins”. My hba1c increased to 54 but when I came off the statins due to other side effects it dropped down to non diabetic levels where it has stayed ever since. A new GP at the practice has now put Statin intolerant on my records as neither of us want to take the risk of it happening again.

35yearsofType1

I know last year when I went to annual diabetic review at the docs, my DN told me that all diabetics over 40 at the surgery were basically being advised to take statins, however she said that she presumed I'd want to decline them so had marked it as such before I even had to say anything :) - admittedly my total cholesterol of 2.9 may have made have helped in her decision to assume I would decline them
What do you do to get your cholesterol to 2.9? I each mainly fruit/veg/lean meat and fibre. No processed food - hardly any snacks like crisps and biscuits (as in one packet of crisps a week) and I exercise - I’m not sure what else to do!

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What do you do to get your cholesterol to 2.9? I each mainly fruit/veg/lean meat and fibre. No processed food - hardly any snacks like crisps and biscuits (as in one packet of crisps a week) and I exercise - I’m not sure what else to do!
I think I just have a naturally low cholesterol to be honest, its never been over 3.4 in the last 10 years, afraid I do nothing special, my diet is quite limited because I'm very very very picky and eat very little in the way of fruit and veg - fruit just creates a huge blood sugar rise, veg I just don't like, but otherwise its probably just a bit less carby than your 'normal' person (bacon, eggs, meat, some bread (gluten-free), some rice, some milk chocolate (cant stand dark), some gluten-free cereal for breakfast, some biscuits, other stuff - the gluten free is not by choice)

Dianemacfaden

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ugliness
Hi - I’ve had a recent conversation with my consultant - I’ve been diabetic for 36 years (I’m 37) cholesterol was 4.1 at my last appointment and he sent me a letter saying I needed to start statins - apparently there has been some guidance that anyone over 40 who has type 1 should take statins and that cholesterol should be under 4. I argued that I’m not 40 yet! So I’m holding off for a little while.

Also there is an algorithm they use to calculate your risk. It’s called QRISK2 and if you type it into google you can put your own data in - if I remember correctly if your result is less than 10 then there is much of a reason to take them. It calculates you risk of cardiovascular disease within the next 10 years.
Thanks I will look at that

Dianemacfaden

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ugliness

Thanks I will look at that

bonerp

I was told best lower than 5. Been on avorstatin for 12 months and now 3.5 so worth having. I had been given them over 13 years ago but didn't get on with that one then so came off it and ate cholesterol Yogurt but that had limited effect.

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Can’t remember when I started on statins but it was a while ago , hmm wonders if bad memory is side affect lol ! To be honest it’s just one of the 5 tabs I take every day , not really noticed any side effects other than the usual underpants on the head and pencils up the nose lol

Reactions: Ledzeptt

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If statins had affected your memory and personality as they did mine, you would not be joking about memory or other mental issues.
There are several very long threads about statins on the forum, but I am uncertain which are most informative for somebody deciding whether to take them.

Autumn1987

They put me on statins at 39 despite cholesterol being about 3.2. Tried Atorvastatin first but couldn’t tolerate it. Changed to very low dose Rosuvastatin. So far no side affects during the last 9 months. Cholesterol now 1.4. No way of knowing if this will help in the future though.

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...
Frankly just a total cholesterol level is meaningless - at a minimum should have breakdown of HDL-C, LDL-C (this is derived), and triglycerides. Not a common test in UK, but apoprotein B is a better marker for cardiovascular risk than LDL-C. My total cholesterol is between 5.5 - 6 so always getting pushed statins (I always decline), but my last HDL-C was 2.8, higher than LDL-C of 2.7 and my Triglycerides 0.6...so all ratios super OK.

Statins only lower LDL levels, but may have some non-cholesterol related benefits as well, but this is non conclusive. When I have gone into the research, the longevity benefit of statins in postmenopausal women without previous CVD history is not demonstrated - yes LDL levels will decrease, but doesn't statistically suggest that this will help you live longer.

It's your choice.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
They put me on statins at 39 despite cholesterol being about 3.2. Tried Atorvastatin first but couldn’t tolerate it. Changed to very low dose Rosuvastatin. So far no side affects during the last 9 months. Cholesterol now 1.4. No way of knowing if this will help in the future though.

Low cholesterol can also be a problem. I warned my now husband about his low cholesterol. He had a heart attack 6 months later.

Unless you have family history of heart disease you do not need statins.. total cholesterol is rubbish too. You need to know what your ratio and triglycerides are.

I would be seriously worried if my total cholesterol was 1.4.

Please look at Aseem Malhotra advice about statins. If you eat right and not got heart probs in your family then being T1 does not mean you have to take statins. He says they are only reasons unless you have had a heart attack. The only reason to take them then is because of the anti inflammatory help they give the stents help to bed in.

Reactions: Daphne917

mansingh01

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Watch your diet and ask your doctor of you can try a lower first 10mg

Reactions: oldgreymare