Blood sugar spikes

Syeda zary

Hi there is it me or someone else also experience the same condition. My blood sugar goes from 70 to 300 in an hour or 2
Why does it keep increasing and when its low it keeps decreasing. Even i take insulin shoots
But its never stable

Reactions: Buzzer81

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
What type of diabetes do you have Syeda? What medication are you using? If you are type 1, are on MDI insulin or a pump?
Injected insulin does not match the food you are eating, it follows a fixed curve, so if you eat normally, you will spike. If you have dosed correctly for the CHO's you have eaten, it should return to your pre-meal levels 5 hours afterwards.
If type 1 and your basal dosage is correct, you should hold a flat line overnight and 5 hours after meals.

Last edited:

finsit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Depends upon what you had to eat. Your food content will warrant how high you can peak and then your medications will need to work accordingly.

Syeda zary

What type of diabetes do you have Syeda? What medication are you using? If you are type 1, are on MDI insulin or a pump?
Injected insulin does not match the food you are eating, it follows a fixed curve, so if you eat normally, you will spike. If you have dosed correctly for the CHO's you have eaten, it should return to your pre-meal levels 5 hours afterwards.
If type 1 and your basal dosage is correct, you should hold a flat line overnight and 5 hours after meals.
Yah thanks for the answer
I am type 1 diabetic .so you are saying thats it will cm back normal after few hours

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
If your dose is correct your blood sugars should return to where they started 4 to 5 hours with injected short-acting insulin. It's the basal that will hold the flat line. Are you on MDI or a pump?

Syeda zary

If your dose is correct your blood sugars should return to where they started 4 to 5 hours with injected short-acting insulin. It's the basal that will hold the flat line. Are you on MDI or a pump?
I am on MDI i take 3 shots before each meal i.e breakfast, lunch and dinner

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
You need to test your basal insulin, by meal skipping or eating no carbs, to see if you hold a flat blood sugar line. What basal are you taking?