1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Blood sugar spikes

Discussion in 'Young People/Adults' started by Syeda zary, Mar 28, 2021.

1. Syeda zary

Syeda zary · Newbie

Hi there is it me or someone else also experience the same condition. My blood sugar goes from 70 to 300 in an hour or 2
    Why does it keep increasing and when its low it keeps decreasing. Even i take insulin shoots
    But its never stable

• Like Like x 1
  2. ert

ert Type 1 · Well-Known Member

What type of diabetes do you have Syeda? What medication are you using? If you are type 1, are on MDI insulin or a pump?
    Injected insulin does not match the food you are eating, it follows a fixed curve, so if you eat normally, you will spike. If you have dosed correctly for the CHO's you have eaten, it should return to your pre-meal levels 5 hours afterwards.
    If type 1 and your basal dosage is correct, you should hold a flat line overnight and 5 hours after meals.

• Agree Agree x 1
    #2 ert, Mar 28, 2021 at 3:30 PM
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
  3. finsit

finsit Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Depends upon what you had to eat. Your food content will warrant how high you can peak and then your medications will need to work accordingly.

4. Syeda zary

Syeda zary · Newbie

Yah thanks for the answer
    I am type 1 diabetic .so you are saying thats it will cm back normal after few hours

5. ert

If your dose is correct your blood sugars should return to where they started 4 to 5 hours with injected short-acting insulin. It's the basal that will hold the flat line. Are you on MDI or a pump?

6. Syeda zary

Syeda zary · Newbie

I am on MDI i take 3 shots before each meal i.e breakfast, lunch and dinner

7. ert

You need to test your basal insulin, by meal skipping or eating no carbs, to see if you hold a flat blood sugar line. What basal are you taking?

8. Syeda zary

Syeda zary · Newbie

I m taking lantus glargine

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook