do you like Yogurt ?

Pura Vida

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The Surprising Effect Yogurt Has on Your Immune System, Says Science
Krissy Gasbarre 6 hrs ago
We think there's a lot to love about yogurt, from the calcium, probiotics, and high protein to the sheer ease of grabbing a scoop when you need something healthy, filling, and fast. One ongoing concern about dairy yogurt is that like some other products made from animal milk, it had been thought to cause inflammation in the body, which can lead to some infections, diseases, and disorders. Now, a study out of Israel has discovered that the probiotics in yogurt products may actually reduce inflammation to make the immune system stronger—including against COVID-19.

© Provided by Eat This, Not That! yogurt
There are certainly plenty of people who are sensitive to dairy or who have to avoid it entirely. For others, who can eat and enjoy it, there's been some debate in parts of the medical community in recent years. Some professionals have followed the debate in some
literature about whether consuming dairy can lead to a wide range of ails that include arthritis to depression, and even acne and more.

While there are studies that have found reason in some of this, it's no good for those who look to a food like yogurt for its role as a healthy, reliable diet staple. For that audience, now there's exciting news: two researchers who conducted
a university study in Israel have found that molecules from the probiotics in kefir (a liquid drink that's very similar to yogurt) significantly reduced the contagion level of the agent that causes cholera.

In a follow-up study, the scientists found that the same molecules also acted as an anti-inflammatory force against some viral disease models. This included the "cytokine storm," which is the immune response that has been discovered as a leading cause of death in COVID-19 patients. "Our research illuminates for the first time a mechanism by which milk fermented probiotics can protect against pathogenic infections and aid the immune system," said Professor Raz Jelinek, the Vice President of Research and Development at Ben Gurion University at the Negev.

This is likely to lead to more research for greater understanding… but in the meantime, this study's findings could be one more reason to grab a spoon.

We think there's a lot to love about yogurt, from the calcium, probiotics, and high protein to the sheer ease of grabbing a scoop when you need something healthy, filling, and fast. One ongoing concern about dairy yogurt is that like some other products made from animal milk, it had been thought to cause inflammation in the body, which can lead to some infections, diseases, and disorders. Now, a study out of Israel has discovered that the probiotics in yogurt products may actually reduce inflammation to make the immune system stronger—including against COVID-19.

BB1fw1Z2.img
© Provided by Eat This, Not That! yogurt
There are certainly plenty of people who are sensitive to dairy or who have to avoid it entirely. For others, who can eat and enjoy it, there's been some debate in parts of the medical community in recent years. Some professionals have followed the debate in some literature about whether consuming dairy can lead to a wide range of ails that include arthritis to depression, and even acne and more.

While there are studies that have found reason in some of this, it's no good for those who look to a food like yogurt for its role as a healthy, reliable diet staple. For that audience, now there's exciting news: two researchers who conducted a university study in Israel have found that molecules from the probiotics in kefir (a liquid drink that's very similar to yogurt) significantly reduced the contagion level of the agent that causes cholera.

In a follow-up study, the scientists found that the same molecules also acted as an anti-inflammatory force against some viral disease models. This included the "cytokine storm," which is the immune response that has been discovered as a leading cause of death in COVID-19 patients. "Our research illuminates for the first time a mechanism by which milk fermented probiotics can protect against pathogenic infections and aid the immune system," said Professor Raz Jelinek, the Vice President of Research and Development at Ben Gurion University at the Negev.

(Mod edits to remove irrelevant links)

Last edited by a moderator:

Bittern

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No I loath it and bear in mind that a lot of what is sold as yoghurt is not yoghurt but a concoction of corn flour, hydrators, mostly water and flavourings and apart from consistency and labelling has little to do with yoghurt.

Reactions: oldgreymare

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...
I love yogurt, but since diagnosis have stuck to Greek style plain full fat ones - ingredient is milk. I quite like it on its own, but occasionally add a few berries and/or nuts or add to soups, stews, salad dressings. Sometimes make tzatziki.

Reactions: Tophat1900

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
Yes but I have yet to find one that likes me

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A lot of what is sold as yoghurt is not healthy. Greek yogurt is good yoghurt.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Always amazes me that so many 'facts' are found to be no such thing when they are checked.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
I like plain full fat Greek yoghurt. Good source of calcium and protein. Great with curries, chilli etc or as a dessert with a few berries. Also good incorporated into dressings for salads.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I love yogurt, always have done. Lots of different yogurts with a big range in carbs, I always try to go for something under 10 catbs per pot. One of my favourites is Irish yogurt from Clonakilty West Cork, 4 pack variety & Gluten Free too :hungry:

ChristieM

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I love yogurt. I sometimes wonder if I eat too much of it. Can you? (Not in terms of carbs. I allow for that when counting carbs.)

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love yogurt. I sometimes wonder if I eat too much of it. Can you? (Not in terms of carbs. I allow for that when counting carbs.)
have you started to moo, bleat or crave grass? If not, I would say your yoghurt levels are ok : )

Pura Vida

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i have one small cup of home made yogurt a day ,made of 36% cream.,nuts and berries,

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Love a Greek yoghurt one large pot please with fresh Golden. Berries mmmmm mmmmmm

Judit@0514

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do and I love kefir as well. I like them plain or mixed with some berries (no sugar of course)
for some reason it spikes my sugar so I don’t have them anymore:(

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)
Yes very much so. As a treat I will sometimes put a very thin layer of double cream (adds a little sweetness) to cover the top of it and eat it from the pot. Mind you, any excuse for some double cream!

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes very much so. As a treat I will sometimes put a very thin layer of double cream (adds a little sweetness) to cover the top of it and eat it from the pot. Mind you, any excuse for some double cream!
Lidl does a creamy greek yoghurt that is 75% yoghurt, 25% cream... and its very nice and relatively cheap. Comes in huge pots too

Reactions: lucylocket61

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)
Lidl does a creamy greek yoghurt that is 75% yoghurt, 25% cream... and its very nice and relatively cheap. Comes in huge pots too

Sounds lovely. Never normally shop at Lidl but will have to give that yoghurt a try..