EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
My T2 dad has been in lock down for the last year. accompanied by my brother, who has been cooking low carb evening meals while he works from home. But when things open up a bit more and my brother has had his second innoculation, he'll be in London for a couple of days a week while my dad fends for himself.

Pre-covid, this was fine, and my dad got by with mostly one person frozen foods from places such as wiltshire farm foods. But their meals are a little carby for him (needs to keep under 30g and would probably be better with less) so can anyone recommend some ready made meals that he can either buy online or buy from Waitrose (he's really looking forward to getting back there after a year of food deliveries)?

Anyway, my dad's cooking has now deteriorated to either reheating something or making omelets, so any suggestions are welcome.

ps MODs, feel free to move this to the low carb diet forum if it fits better there.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@EllieM

I will move it, but only because I think more people will see it there.

I believe @ianpspurs has recently sourced/tried some low carb ready meals. Pretty sure it was him - apologies if not.

I used to buy a ready made lamb kleftico from Waitrose (they changed the recipe and I no longer like it). It’s fairly large and just spiced meat, so it depends on your dad’s definition of a meal! For a carnivore it’s perfect. Could be heated more than once though. How they reckon it feeds 4, I’ll never know! https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/waitrose-slow-cooked-lamb-kleftico/787694-665131-665132

Reactions: EllieM

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @EllieM ,

I'm familiar with Wiltshire farm foods. & agree didn't help my dad either, on the carb count front.
Though my elderly mum could cook & is still a completer finisher with the Alzhiemers. (Oddly. Though even more basic.)
Off the top of my head.
What is your dad like with fry ups? (minus the usual suspects.)

There are some quite nice ready to cook frozen cauliflower hash browns that can be had on the frozen aisles..

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@EllieM

I will move it, but only because I think more people will see it there.

I believe @ianpspurs has recently sourced/tried some low carb ready meals. Pretty sure it was him - apologies if not.

I used to buy a ready made lamb kleftico from Waitrose (they changed the recipe and I no longer like it). It’s fairly large and just spiced meat, so it depends on your dad’s definition of a meal! For a carnivore it’s perfect. Could be heated more than once though. How they reckon it feeds 4, I’ll never know! https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/waitrose-slow-cooked-lamb-kleftico/787694-665131-665132
Hi @EllieM. This is the source for the ready meals I have once again bought. https://lowcarbfood.co/shop-category/ready-meals/
I tried some when my wife was away as even I don't always want salad in winter - weak willed but there ya go. I read the nutritional analysis and even taken with a pinch of salt they seem as close to clean eating as I will come without rearing and growing my own. Over 6 months the range has widened and most are now able to be cooked from frozen in a microwave. I bought some more because these worked well enough and I have a grand daughter in Southampton who I need to see at some point soon so I can take my own food. Hope this is useful. Tastes vary but I was happy enough with them. Thanks for the tag @Goonergal

Last edited:

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I used this company a couple of times during lockdown, they are tasty if a little expensive but they do a 14 and 28 day meal plan which can work out cheaper and I think they have an offer of 25% of your first meal plan. You can buy individually and there’s no tie inThe beauty of them may be for your dad is they are an ambient product and have a very long shelf life so if he’s only using them a couple of times a week they may be very cost effective. He may want to cook sides to go with them, I just used frozen cauliflower rice from Asda but most supermarkets do it

https://www.naturalketosis.co.uk/de...Z-rXVIZtq4piBAHIwPDaghCzWGAz14zoaAgxzEALw_wcB

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
You can buy individually and there’s no tie in

That looks interesting but I don't see where you can buy stuff individually - they seem very determined to make you buy 3 meal/snacks a day?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi @EllieM ,

I'm familiar with Wiltshire farm foods. & agree didn't help my dad either, on the carb count front.
Though my elderly mum could cook & is still a completer finisher with the Alzhiemers. (Oddly. Though even more basic.)
Off the top of my head.
What is your dad like with fry ups? (minus the usual suspects.)

There are some quite nice ready to cook frozen cauliflower hash browns that can be had on the frozen aisles..

Will definitely suggest those. If he can do omelets he should be OK on hash browns.

Thanks

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
It just an idea but batch cooking and freeze might work perhaps?

Yes and no. I think he's beyond cooking up big pots of stew etc now, though he was a decent cook even 5 years ago. Mind you, his mind is fine so there's no real reason why not, but he's physically pretty frail, so he may not even be up to chopping stuff up now..... I will suggest it though.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Could your brother do some batch cooking and freeze some meals for your dad to have, when your brother is in London?

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That looks interesting but I don't see where you can buy stuff individually - they seem very determined to make you buy 3 meal/snacks a day?
My apologies - I think you have to be a member and you become that after your first order - you could always try calling them see if they can help you. I’m sure they have a sister company where you can buy the meals by themselves - just can’t recall the name at the moment, will have a think

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks very much, that site looks excellent. Have you tried the bread? My dad talks wistfully about bread and that looks quite doable.

Ellie a number of members use a company called Seriously Low Carb for bread and rolls. Not cheap and I’ve not tried them myself, but on the ‘What Have You Eaten Today’ thread they’re much discussed and eaten!

Similarly Deliciously Guilt Free for keto cakes. They are good, but I no longer buy as they’re too moreish!

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Ellie a number of members use a company called Seriously Low Carb for bread and rolls. Not cheap and I’ve not tried them myself, but on the ‘What Have You Eaten Today’ thread they’re much discussed and eaten!
Thanks, that was the next thing I was going to ask....

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks very much, that site looks excellent. Have you tried the bread? My dad talks wistfully about bread and that looks quite doable.
You're welcome - I'm turning into Maui. I've tried their bread and making our own using their flour. Personally not impressed for sandwiches or toast but filling with the few cooked meals I ate this winter. We have a bread maker so that makes things easier. Also tried Seriously Low Carb bread - also unimpressed but their rolls are ok. My personal view is lc and bread aren't compatible really but tastes vary.

Swillbos

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Very little experience of ready meals, but Waitrose do stock Livlife bread, 3.8g per slice (nb high in gluten in case that is an issue). Some people say it toasts well, this is not my experience, but fine in sandwiches and for some reason seems to fry very well (fried cheese & onion sandwiches - yum!). Also freezes fine. OH picked up a duck confit and Puy lentil ready meal, slightly random purchase in order to get a 'free' newspaper.....he complained about the lack of lentils, but the upside for me was was <20g per portion (serves two) would be good with some pre-prepared cabbage. Think Waitrose has a good range of pre-prepared veg sides, inc cauliflower cheese which can also be a main.

M&S also great for ready meals, most not suitable, but I can vouch for creamy pesto chicken on courgetti (serves one and from memory <10g?)

Hope all goes well x

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
and just putting another slant on it...
At 90 maybe he can relax lc a bit as any complications he's trying to avoid would still be10-20 years off. A couple of higher carb days a week might just make an older man very happy...
Just a suggestion , please don't shoot the messenger

Reactions: EllieM and KK123