Just been diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes and Fatty Liver - Feeling a bit overwhelmed

RachelW

Hello and welcome,

I agree that there is no point in blaming yourself. I too went on many low calorie diets without much success unless I did an insane amount of exercise. I have lost weight going low carb.

There feels like a lot to learn at the beginning. You will get your head around it and there are many people on this site who are helpful.

As a fellow emotional eater I agree with @TriciaWs - lots of great ideas there. I have diet jelly- usually with a bit of double cream which them makes it a bit more filling.

I would ask your doctor for a change to try to manage the diabetes on either just diet or diet and metformin (and while you are at it ask for the slow release version of metformin as more people seem to tolerate that without symptoms.

Good luck and welcome.
I am a comfort eater with 5 stones to lose. I also have liver issues. Do I need to be in ketosis to lose weight? Or is low carb enough? I want to reduce liver fat as well as losing weight/putting type 2 into remission. Thanks

Judit@0514

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was recently diagnosed with T2.
Medication was offered by my GP but I told her I want to try to manage it myself. I had covid last October followed by an accident and I gained weight. I was an emotional eater. My thing was the bread. I’m a nurse, had a very stressful job in the emergency room. I know about medications, poking my fingers is no fun so I’ve decided I will turn my life around and will not take meds but fight myself.
I gradually cut out everything I loved and by the middle of the second week I started to feel better. I’m on 1200 calorie diet with 50-60 carb, fasting 15 hours a day and exercising daily. I am not a gym torture person so I ride my bike, walk or go to play golf with my hubby (picking up the golf balls mostly;)
I’m loosing weight, sleep good, never hungry and my fasting sugar went from 11 to 7.
I changed jobs eliminating the major stress in my life, exercise regularly and my mood is much better.
I found this forum very helpful with tons of great information and nice supporting people.
Hope you find support in this journey, it is very possible that you can beat it. :)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am a comfort eater with 5 stones to lose. I also have liver issues. Do I need to be in ketosis to lose weight? Or is low carb enough? I want to reduce liver fat as well as losing weight/putting type 2 into remission. Thanks

Hi there. You may do better for responses with your own thread. Having said that, manybpeople lose significant weight through low carb without going fully ‘keto’.

Is there any reason you don’t want to be in ketosis and do you have diabetes/ take any medication for diabetes?

Roggg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My own opinion and experience is keto is actually easier and more sustainable (again, for me) than "low carb" after an initial adaptation period. When you are low enough to be in ketosis consistently, your body uses fat as fuel more easily. A body burning fat will burn stored fat just as easily as dietary fat, so it helps to moderate hunger. When I am merely low carb, but not close to keto (say 50-100g daily carbs), I find I get all the hungers and cravings that result from the blood sugar swings of a carb based diet.

Reactions: VashtiB

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Low carb means being in ketosis - it is just that someone labelled their way of eating KETO and probably wrote a book on the subject.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Low carb means being in ketosis - it is just that someone labelled their way of eating KETO and probably wrote a book on the subject.
I dont think so. I am under the impression that keto is very low carb and you have to be very low carb (under 30g a day?) to be doing keto.

I cold be wrong : )

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I dont think so. I am under the impression that keto is very low carb and you have to be very low carb (under 30g a day?) to be doing keto.

I cold be wrong : )
There is a KETO diet, with rules and it is low carb, but most people burn fat at some point in each 24 hours, so they are in ketosis - even if they are not eating low carb.