Celebrating real foods

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lamb ribs today. Coated with lemon pepper and air fried. Then Nando’s for dinner.

2B3EBA7B-DF2D-4E25-965D-252E535BF3B1.jpeg

Reactions: Mbaker and DJC3

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ooh, gone a bit quiet in here.

Lunch today was 12% mince fried with onions and 2 eggs.
Dinner was a repeat of the lamb ribs pictured above, coated in lemon pepper and air fried.

Yoghurt supplies had vanished, so just popped out to buy a tub of Fage 0% for dessert.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
:D

Just doing the third of this week’s batch cooking. Lamb burglars, with mint.
The other 2 cook ups were butter chicken thighs and the prev mentioned pork, parsnip and pepper stew.
Am also trying out a new freezer labelling system, suggested by a friend. Masking tape with black indelible pen. Apparently it just rips off.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fathead pizzas made from scratch here today. I'm the only diabetic but have 2 men to feed as well. This was the first time I had done the fathead dough for all of us but it went down well. I've finally managed to convert a recipe to give 3 decent portions. We were all due in at different times tonight so this worked well with each needing just the final 10 minutes cooking on demand.

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Last night I did asparagus in the air fryer - bit of olive oil, salt and pepper, about 5 mins. Was delish! Had it with my crispy-skin chicken thighs which are a bit of a staple for me

Reactions: DJC3

Hotpepper20000

Last night I had Turkey Thigh skin on the BBQ with some roasted Aubergine and Kohlrabi.
Tonight it will be Ox tongue that I put in then slow cooker with some broth and onions. Mr Hotpepper isn’t a fan so I’ll have to find something for him.

Reactions: Brunneria

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was soooo hungry today. 3 meals!

Breakfast and dinner were air fried pork belly pieces coated in chilli oil and salt. Yum.
Lunch was the first Five Guys in a while. Bunless burger with grilled onions and bacon. Sat on a kerb in direct sun in Soho and used my rucksack as a ‘table’! Street had been closed to traffic so that local restaurants could put tables right across the road so a relatively quiet little spot to eat in central London.

03942E2F-6F5F-44D8-B7DE-15AC206A60FB.jpeg

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Seem to be having a hungry phase. This dinner should see me right for a bit - beef short rib and cauliflower cheese.

012AF233-6A2B-4B95-B830-8A1290721673.jpeg

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We had eggs benedict for breakfast. I skipped the bread part and relished the egg, ham, hollandaise vy itself. Delicious.
Still going strong on the pork stew, chicken curry, lamb burglar rotation :D

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Still trying to work through my stash of non-real foods so I can post here regularly. LoDough subscription cancelled, no more DGF cakes will be ordered ( still have a freezer shelf full though) My one vice will be SLC rolls as my Saturday post boot- camp treat of a bacon butty.
In between I’m very happy to have scaled back on the pretend imitation food. Sticking to local pastured beef. Local fish and eggs, and I’ve just found a local free range pig farm. I should be getting half a pig in the next week or two. Can’t wait.
This is such a wonderful way to eat, I’m actually excited by every meal. Does anyone else feel that? I really wouldn’t give a thank you for a beige carb now.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In between I’m very happy to have scaled back on the pretend imitation food. Sticking to local pastured beef. Local fish and eggs, and I’ve just found a local free range pig farm. I should be getting half a pig in the next week or two. Can’t wait.
This is such a wonderful way to eat, I’m actually excited by every meal. Does anyone else feel that? I really wouldn’t give a thank you for a beige carb now.

Couldn’t agree more. Somewhat jealous of your local sources of meat, especially the beef. Once space opens up in my freezer I’m thinking of ordering from the farm near you. Oh for space for a second freezer!

I’ve never tried lo-dough, but did see it (somewhat ironically) at the Real Food Rocks festival a couple of years ago. It looked like cardboard so declined it (was part of the free evening hog roast) and stuck to a larger portion of the pork, with some extra crackling!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Couldn’t agree more. Somewhat jealous of your local sources of meat, especially the beef. Once space opens up in my freezer I’m thinking of ordering from the farm near you. Oh for space for a second freezer!

I’ve never tried lo-dough, but did see it (somewhat ironically) at the Real Food Rocks festival a couple of years ago. It looked like cardboard so declined it (was part of the free evening hog roast) and stuck to a larger portion of the pork, with some extra crackling!

I’m getting a second freezer next week!
It’s daughter’s old one now she’s upgraded her kitchen, hopefully I’ll get it round here and into the garage before the half pig arrives.
Oxtail from the lovely beef farm is defrosting for tomorrow.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm a great believer in local and seasonal, but do need ideas please for rhubarb. Very difficult without sugar or sweeteners

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry @MrsA2 no rhubarb ideas from me. Never did like cooked fruit (it was always cake/ice cream rather than pies/crumbles in my carby days) and thinking about it can’t remember the last time any fruit passed my lips (aside from lime juice squeezed into water). Hopefully one or two of the others will have ideas.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm a great believer in local and seasonal, but do need ideas please for rhubarb. Very difficult without sugar or sweeteners
Rhubarb, I use with pork. Diced up and pork placed on top with seasonings to bake in the oven.
I tend not to use specific recipes, too much of a faff for a lazy cook like me. I did adapt this though, and added a squeeze of lime juice and some ginger.
https://swisspaleo.ch/prosciutto-wrapped-pork-filet-and-savory-rhubarb/
I liked it, and there were no complaints from Mr Pipp, either.

Reactions: DJC3 and MrsA2

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh for space for a second freezer!
Ooh I hired a skip over Easter and mucked out my garage which was floor-to-ceiling with 20-odd years’-worth of complete rubbish. I thought I might unearth some forgotten gem, but nope, all complete trash. However, I have also sorted the shelving I had in the utility room and moved it into the newly-empty garage, thus freeing up room for a second freezer!

Mostly for the frozen raw food I feed my cats, but room for me to stash some lovely stuff too. I am also thinking of placing a meat order when I get paid...

Reactions: DJC3 and Goonergal

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is freezer envy a thing? I’d need to move to get space for even a larger freezer!

Today’s mini celebration was finding a pack of perfect pork belly strips on Asda. By perfect I mean mostly fat, with just a bit of meat. Makes them deliciously crispy, juicy and moreish when chopped into pieces and air fried.

That was followed up by some chicken wings that had been brined. Air fried again.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is freezer envy a thing? I’d need to move to get space for even a larger freezer!

Today’s mini celebration was finding a pack of perfect pork belly strips on Asda. By perfect I mean mostly fat, with just a bit of meat. Makes them deliciously crispy, juicy and moreish when chopped into pieces and air fried.

That was followed up by some chicken wings that had been brined. Air fried again.

I'm drooling.

This week's bulk cooking is a batch of Sloppy Joes (in the instant pot as I type).
https://www.castironketo.net/blog/keto-sloppy-joe-skillet-dinner/
Taking a bit of a risk here, since it contains both green peppers and tomato as well as onion :nailbiting:

And then there will be chicken kebabs in lime, kefir, garlic, and maybe herbs. I shall mix all the meat and the seasonings, divide into portions and freeze. They will effectively marinate while freezing and defrosting. Then I will skewer them and cook them whenever needed.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A real food day today so I feel able to post here.
Lunch was Ham and eggs then a Fage yoghurt.
Dinner was airfried chicken breast stuffed with a lump of chorizo and wrapped in bacon. Salad leaves, 2 cherry toms, 1/2 avocado and h/m duck egg Mayo.
Glass of red - that is real food isn’t it?
Sorry no ideas about rhubarb @MrsA2 I’ve never been that keen on it. I like @Pipp ‘s idea of using it in a savoury dish as a change though.

Reactions: MrsA2

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We had pork belly tonight, but I do find it difficult to cook. I tried the airfryer tonight, 10 minutes on 200 then turn and another 5 minutes. But this lot had the rind on which came out chewy so the rind went back in while we ate. I think part of the trouble is the quantity. Feeding 2 non diabetic adult males as well as me tonight I was cooking 700g and there wasn't much air space.
Ideas?