Gastric sleeve

ShyLily

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

Has anyone had any weight loss surgery done such as gastric sleeve as I’m thinking about doing this. If so did it help with type 2 remission. I’d have to go private so will be researching and saving some money. I’m currently 13 stone and been diabetic since my first pregnancy in 2016. I’ve tried to lose weight control my diet finding it so hard I’m depressed and always in denial about my condition.

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I haven't personally had weight loss surgery. There was a time when I considered it, and was offered it on the NHS, but I did my research and realised that it's not for me. I have a couple of friends who have had the sleeve, and it's a long journey. Firstly, they had to prove that they were ideal candidates by living on an extremely low calorie pre-surgery diet for a set amount of time before hand. Following surgery, they were supposed to remain on a liquid and pureed diet for several weeks. One friend was texting people asking them to bring her a KFC whilst she was convalescing in hospital. As you can imagine, she did not maintain the required diet and several years on, the surgery is a failure. The other friend has done very well, but it's been a constant battle as she's had problems with nausea and sickness, hair loss, and has to take a really strict regime of vitamins to ensure that she gets all she needs. She went from about 25 stone to 14 stone, and is now training for half marathons.
It has really good results for some people, but it's certainly not an easy option.
If you are depressed, then I would suggest dedicating some time to counselling first. Get a good therapist who deals specifically with weight issues. I would invest time and money dealing with your self-image and denial of condition first, as part of the surgical process involves psychotherapy, so the more you do, the better position you will be in if you decide that surgery is the way forward for you.

Reactions: ShyLily

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

Has anyone had any weight loss surgery done such as gastric sleeve as I’m thinking about doing this. If so did it help with type 2 remission. I’d have to go private so will be researching and saving some money. I’m currently 13 stone and been diabetic since my first pregnancy in 2016. I’ve tried to lose weight control my diet finding it so hard I’m depressed and always in denial about my condition.

I seriously doubt that any reputable surgeon would operate on someone who is 13 stone in weight.
How much weight do you want to lose? Surgery seems a pretty radical method.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve tried to lose weight control my diet finding it so hard I’m depressed and always in denial about my condition.
As others have said success by surgery still needs success in addressing concerns like these and it is by no means free of dietary control afterwards.
What methods of weight loss, specifically what type of diets, have you tried? What has made them fail? What support did you have on any of them? What did you do well on them? And importantly what’s your diabetes control like? These two issues are massively linked.

Reactions: ShyLily

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Plain uncomplicated type twos can lower their blood glucose by eating low carb - weightloss often seems to happen as a result of restoring more normal metabolism, but that is not what causes the remission.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A friend had gastric by-pass when she was about 20 stone. Yes she lost about 9 stone very quickly, but less than 3 years later most of that weight is back on, even though most people say you can't gain weight after, but she does as her small portions are full of sugar and fats. She hasn't learned the lessons of what suits her body, or of the emotions surrounding her eating.

At only 13 stone I too doubt a surgeon would do it

I have gone from 13st to 10st in under 6 months by going very low carb. I am rarely hungry, do the same amount of exercise as before and eat good filling foods. My motivation was not letting diabetes complications ruin my eyesight ot cause me to lose a leg.
I don't think gastric surgieris are anywhere mnear as good in the long term as they purport to be.
I think you can do it, with support. There loads of info and support out there.

ShyLily

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I seriously doubt that any reputable surgeon would operate on someone who is 13 stone in weight.
How much weight do you want to lose? Surgery seems a pretty radical method.

Yeah your right, I want to lose 3 stone I just need to sort myself out. Feel so pathetic can’t even pull myself together and motivate myself to get healthier

ShyLily

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A friend had gastric by-pass when she was about 20 stone. Yes she lost about 9 stone very quickly, but less than 3 years later most of that weight is back on, even though most people say you can't gain weight after, but she does as her small portions are full of sugar and fats. She hasn't learned the lessons of what suits her body, or of the emotions surrounding her eating.

At only 13 stone I too doubt a surgeon would do it

I have gone from 13st to 10st in under 6 months by going very low carb. I am rarely hungry, do the same amount of exercise as before and eat good filling foods. My motivation was not letting diabetes complications ruin my eyesight ot cause me to lose a leg.
I don't think gastric surgieris are anywhere mnear as good in the long term as they purport to be.
I think you can do it, with support. There loads of info and support out there.

Ok thanks I’ve tried low carb just found it joyless need to sort my mindset out

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Its hard to find anything joyful when you are depressed. What is happening about that? Are you on medication? Did you know you can self refer for therapy without even contacting the doctor? Just Google "cbt" and your area and it should come up. Worth doing, it helped me

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...
Have you explored dietdoctor.com? Lots of tasty LC meals plans and recipes.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Interested why you find it joyless?

Many of us have found that it improves our health no end which provides a lot more joy than eating as entertainment.

For me it also marked an end to decades of food addiction problems.. is that something that you think you might have?

Reactions: Bridget66

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know what you mean. Some of us eat for pleasure as well as nourishment. Can you share the sort of foods you like and what you are currently eating? There are plenty of ways to have enjoyable foods and still be low carb.

Reactions: Bridget66