COVID vaccine and extremely high blood sugars

Peter03

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
After reading posts on this forum, I upped my Basel this morning to 160% of normal Basel, staying level so far so hopefully increase in basel will do the trick have hospital appointment on Wednesday so I will report what I have read about problems with some diabetics in the UK, not that I am saying this is what anybody else should do
Still okay I am staying optimistic

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
@ glitter queen I’ve also found the one that was referred to in the brief webmd report; it goes into more detail and looks at what might be causing blood sugar rises. I think one of the things that may have come out of these early studies is that we need to keep our blood sugars well controlled if we hope to escape covid’s scythe. As an oldie I’m also reluctant to change my lockdown, mask, distance etc behaviour even when I’ve had the second jab of the AZ.
Since having the first I’ve needed to increase basal by a unit for daytime and a unit for nighttime.

StewM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It does certainly read like the Vaccine essentially gives you a 'mild' version of the Covid effect on Blood Sugar readings. Also from reading through the forum posts on this topic, it seems like Veteran Diabetics are getting hit harder than Newbies (regardless of actual age). So, based on that, if you're having a bad reaction to the Vaccine you probably want to everything you can to avoid any further risk.

Obviously, all speculation on my part.

Jumping in to add, I received my 2nd dose of AZ on the 14th April 2021 and have been having stubborn episodes of high blood glucose levels, which require way more insulin than normal to bring down. usually can't get them down for a few hours. Still experiencing these episodes 4-5 days later.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@ glitter queen I’ve also found the one that was referred to in the brief webmd report; it goes into more detail and looks at what might be causing blood sugar rises. I think one of the things that may have come out of these early studies is that we need to keep our blood sugars well controlled if we hope to escape covid’s scythe. As an oldie I’m also reluctant to change my lockdown, mask, distance etc behaviour even when I’ve had the second jab of the AZ.
Since having the first I’ve needed to increase basal by a unit for daytime and a unit for nighttime.

Hi,

I wouldn't disagree regarding the "hands, face, space" protocol.
I have a second AZ lined up in mid May. Haven't heard anything else from my surgury like I did with the first.
I just registered my NHS number on the gov.uk site & got a slot at a center set up on a race course near my home city.

My personal view is it won't make me immune, or a non asymtomatic. But the vaccine should soften the blow if it should decide to show..?

Peter03

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I hope this does not last too long its been six weeks now for me, yes it better than having covid but it cannot be good to keep having high bg,s, I am at least now how to control my bg,s with increased Basel and bolus but those that don't control their bg,s all the time could be suffering without knowing

smcc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had my first AZ dode on Feb 6 and had no upset at all. The second dose was 2 days ago, April 18. Since yesterday morning, 18 hours after the second dose, My BG levels have been high despite increased doses of Tresiba and Humalog insulin and I have added a few extra doses of Humalog to keep things on an even keel. I feel perfectly well and I can only hope that this situation will not last too long.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Adverts, EU, Brussel Sprouts, Ginge & Winge.
My BS is a bit more stable now, thankfully. I've increased my Basal by 25%, to 40u injection per day. I do this in the mornings for obvious reasons. I split the injection into 4, so 10u each one, 1 to left arm, 1 to right arm, 1 to left thigh and 1 to right thigh. I do the same for any Bolus more than 10u. My 2nd Pfizer is this Friday, so expecting another spike as my antibodies will be increased I suspect.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I had the second dose yesterday and my blood sugars are raised today but that may also be because I’ve got the lightheaded reaction, again, and am mostly staying still. It doesn’t help that it’s a lovely day and I’d really like to be out and about. Tomorrow WILL be better.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Due my second AZ at 5pm. Fingers crossed I am not as poorly as last time. Have paracetamol ready. Plus a newly primed pen of Fiasp just in case.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Due my second AZ at 5pm. Fingers crossed I am not as poorly as last time. Have paracetamol ready. Plus a newly primed pen of Fiasp just in case.
Hope you don’t get a nasty reaction tomorrow!!!
I’m feeling much better now, it hasn’t lasted as long as after the first dose but will wait to see when blood sugars settle down.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Blood sugars are still swooping high two days after the second jab of the AZ, it’s really annoying as they’d just begun to settle well again although on higher doses of insulin than before the vaccine. It’ll be interesting to see if the increased insulin need is permanent though I’m optimistic that the current rollercoasting seesaw will eventually settle.

Peter03

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Blood sugars are still swooping high two days after the second jab of the AZ, it’s really annoying as they’d just begun to settle well again although on higher doses of insulin than before the vaccine. It’ll be interesting to see if the increased insulin need is permanent though I’m optimistic that the current rollercoasting seesaw will eventually settle.
I will say no they will not remain high, although I know it feels like it's lasting forever, mine are at last returning to something like normal but I'm not there yet, so I hope your bg,s get back to normal soon

Reactions: Fairygodmother

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hope they soon settle @Fairygodmother. Take care, it can make you feel really off it when your blood sugars are running high.

Reactions: Fairygodmother