Doom and Gloom

EmmyKittyPhoo

Hi there. I’m struggling really badly with my new diagnosis. TW for death mention and general existential dread.

This is now my third chronic condition. I’ve spent the last 20 years battling a severe and painful auto-immune condition which has left me disabled and for which I’ll be on medication the rest of my life. I have alopecia - probably caused by stress of the first condition. And most recently I’ve been diagnosed with T2 diabetes.

I think this diagnosis has pushed me over the edge. I’ve got no hope left. I’ve been fighting illness so hard for so long, and my reward is a Diabetes diagnosis. My life expectancy seems to get shorter every day and I find myself in tears because I won’t be there for my kids as they grow up. I just can’t shake the thought that I’m gonna die soon, or never live to see “old age” (I’m approaching 40). And it’s not just the diabetes complications that worry me, but I’m starting to feel like it’s a sure thing that I’ll probably get cancer or something in the next few years - my body just seems to be collecting serious diseases.

It’s paralysing. I can’t stop freaking out. I feel trapped in a body that’s poisonous. If I’m not crying, I’m making “jokes” about how I won’t be around to see things, or that I want this song at my funeral. Yesterday I was talking to my husband about how I’d want him to marry again. It all feels so inevitable. So utterly hopeless. And I’m furious and devastated all in one.

As many have experienced, I’ve had so little info or guidance from my Doctor that I feel completely cast adrift. Which is probably a major contributing factor to how I’m feeling. I just can’t get the thought that I’m gonna die soon off my mind.

Can anyone relate? Does it get better? I was diagnosed roughly 2 months ago and if anything my feelings of doom are getting worse.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Depending on what your other condition it there may be some chances of it getting much better on a low carb diet.
That will certainly help your T2 anyway so it could be a win win situation?

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
T2 in itself is not a death sentence it just takes controlling it

Which I can understand being difficult especially if you have other conditions

I didn’t feel anything when I got told and I don’t let it bother me now… because to be fair my job or my motorcycle will probably kill me before the diabetes

And if tomorrow is my day.. then let it be!

No one can say how long we will live. Not even you… so worrying about it is pointless…

I know it easy for me to say as I’m not in your situation, but worrying doesn’t help…. Try focusing on what you are going todo so it’s not a death sentence.

Good low carb diet is the first thing to consider

Good luck

Reactions: Struma and EllieM

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes the feeling of doom is common on diagnosis and it’s not helped by the lack of practical and helpful information provided at diagnosis, let alone the ****** outlook the media and even some drs give. It really doesn’t have to be that way. It’s perfectly possible for many if not most of us to be healthier post diagnosis than before as it makes us take control in a way we haven’t before. The whole progressive life shortening outlook is also outdated. This might have been the case a decade or two ago but since then science has learned it’s is possible to put type 2 into remission when they didn’t realise this before (and sadly some drs still do t know this!).

Take a look at the links in my signature below to help you understand how you can take control back and beat this diagnosis into the background. The way to do it is through changing the way you eat to avoid too many carbohydrates. It has the bonus of helping many other conditions too, so depending what your other main issue is there’s the possibility it might help manage that a little better too.

I had a spell a few years back where I had 5 surgeries, including one for a cancer scare losing half my thyroid, numerous admissions to A and E due to misdiagnosis of one of those conditions, a nasty disfiguring skin issue that fortunately passed after a few months and lost my father to a quick cancer - all within 18 months. Then got diagnosed type 2 at the end of it plus a few more minor issues in that time too. I understand the fear of where the next thing is coming from. But it doesn’t always come. And the longer it doesn’t come the better you’ll feel. The more you control the diabetes the better you’ll feel. And if you can’t get a handle on the fear then some counselling for health anxiety could help.

Lva1989

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there I’m a fellow Alopecian ♀️ also vitaligo. I have recently been diagnosed type 1 and underactive thyroid (all about 2 months ago) and I’m kinda living in the doom and gloom stage at the moment where I just feel like I can’t get a break! I feel like I’ve had to deal with loosing all my hair which was a big lifestyle change wearing wigs etc. And now this!

I totally get where your coming from, a have a couple of colleagues who are type 1 and have said that it can be such a shock and it does get easier! I’m just hoping that’s the case!

Hang on in there! This forum has done me wonders when I have abit of a meltdown

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
If you are able to with your other conditions do reduce the carbs in your diet. For many that can produce remission from T2 (not cure)

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Hi there. I’m struggling really badly with my new diagnosis. TW for death mention and general existential dread.

This is now my third chronic condition. I’ve spent the last 20 years battling a severe and painful auto-immune condition which has left me disabled and for which I’ll be on medication the rest of my life. I have alopecia - probably caused by stress of the first condition. And most recently I’ve been diagnosed with T2 diabetes.

I think this diagnosis has pushed me over the edge. I’ve got no hope left. I’ve been fighting illness so hard for so long, and my reward is a Diabetes diagnosis. My life expectancy seems to get shorter every day and I find myself in tears because I won’t be there for my kids as they grow up. I just can’t shake the thought that I’m gonna die soon, or never live to see “old age” (I’m approaching 40). And it’s not just the diabetes complications that worry me, but I’m starting to feel like it’s a sure thing that I’ll probably get cancer or something in the next few years - my body just seems to be collecting serious diseases.

It’s paralysing. I can’t stop freaking out. I feel trapped in a body that’s poisonous. If I’m not crying, I’m making “jokes” about how I won’t be around to see things, or that I want this song at my funeral. Yesterday I was talking to my husband about how I’d want him to marry again. It all feels so inevitable. So utterly hopeless. And I’m furious and devastated all in one.

As many have experienced, I’ve had so little info or guidance from my Doctor that I feel completely cast adrift. Which is probably a major contributing factor to how I’m feeling. I just can’t get the thought that I’m gonna die soon off my mind.

Can anyone relate? Does it get better? I was diagnosed roughly 2 months ago and if anything my feelings of doom are getting worse.
Hi @EmmyKittyPhoo I am copying one of my posts about life expectancy previously which might help with any luck:

All I can say is that at the age of 13, being Type1 for 12 years already, I was told I might make it to 20. In my early 20s my father was told by an actuary that statistically I had a chance of reaching 40 if I looked after myself. I am now 62! Is there any point in expectancy?

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Hi and welcome @EmmyKittyPhoo

Its understandable that you should feel so overwhelmed. Given the metal you have shown dealing with your other conditions for over 20 years I fell sure you can deal with your Type 2.

A couple of suggestions:

If you don't have one get a meter to test your blood sugar levels so you can control your T2.

Reduce your carb intake in the short term while you read and seek advice from this forum to map out your new journey

As mentioned in an earlier post you may find that in dealing with your type 2 it may have benefits for your other conditions

Best wishes and keep posting

Reactions: oldgreymare

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome

I completely understand the feeling of doom. It took me more than 2 weeks after diagnosis before I didn't cry every day about it. A lot longer before not crying at all about it. 2 years in and there are still the occasional time I feel down about it but on the whole life is good.

A couple of things- have they done the tests to make sure you have type 2 not type 1 or LADA. You mention you have another auto-immune condition so it may be worth exploring. The second thing is that you may find going low carb may help with other things. Going very low carb has meant that my asthma has completely gone. On the occasions where I would have ended up in hospital in the past not even a cough.

As @muzza3 said if you haven't already got a meter get one. It is the single most useful tool you will have in dealing with diabetes.

The second thing that I found helpful is to focus on the food which have very little or no carbs. These are the things that are not going to spike your blood sugar levels. They include eggs, cheese, cream, butter, meat, chicken, fish including shellfish.
I found that by focusing on them I could not have to count the carbs or weigh them or anything. This was particularly important for me immediately following g my diagnosis as I felt too overwhelmed to deal with anything more.

Let us know how we can help.

Good luck and welcome.