Help again

Sad21+

Hello guys I asked a question regarding my mother who has pain using the lancets.

A bunch of lovely folks told me about Accu-check. I was looking at them and a bit overwhelmed.

So the question is should I just buy the Accu-check Lancet and needles. And still use her old glucose monitor from a different company.

Or should I buy the whole Accu-check monitor,lancets , needles etc?
Thank you so much.

kvetiny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Accu chek mobile is a good machine. Convenient and painless.

Reactions: Sad21+

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Hello guys I asked a question regarding my mother who has pain using the lancets.

A bunch of lovely folks told me about Accu-check. I was looking at them and a bit overwhelmed.

So the question is should I just buy the Accu-check Lancet and needles. And still use her old glucose monitor from a different company.

Thank you so much.

Sensible to get the whole lot together.
Some BG monitors require a larger blood sample than others.

I use an Abbott Freestyle Lite which allegedly requires a very small drop of blood, so my lancing device might not draw enough for some other monitors.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Thank you so much.
All you need is the lancet and needles - I use it when testing on both my Accu-chec Nano and Contour Next

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just buy the finger pricker and lancets, as using them you can get enough blood for any blood glucose machine. The finger pricker and blood glucose machine don't have to come from the same company.

Sad21+

Just buy the finger pricker and lancets, as using them you can get enough blood for any blood glucose machine. The finger pricker and blood glucose machine don't have to come from the same company.
Ok thank you. I'm getting different comments that contradict. I'm not sure now. But your comment did help. I appreciate this.

Reactions: Hopeful34

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Thank you so much this helps alot. I've seen comments to do this. Thank you.

Most lancet kits have the ability to adjust the pricking depth of the lancet so as to cope with the different thicknesses of people's fingers. I can't see why you'd have to use the kit supplied by the same company as the meter. Personally, I don't bother with a kit at all, I just use a lancet on its own, which means I don't have to worry what brand the lancet is and I also minimise the amount of equipment I need, but then I've been pricking my fingers for 40 years and remember pre glucometers and used to use syringes for my insulin instead of insulin pens :).

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
From personal experience, I can confirm you do not need to use the lancet that comes with the meter. Anyone who suggests otherwise is being unnecessarily overly cautious and may not understand how to prick their finger. They all do the same thing - make a hole in your finger. As others have said, they all allow you to choose how deep the hole is.
Recently, I used my stabbed recently for a non diabetes blood test that needed more blood. It worked perfectly and was easier to hold and control than the stabbed that came with the kit.

If you make sure your mother’s fingers are warm when you prick them, blood will flow easier. I often hold a cup of hot tea for a few minutes.

Reactions: luceeloo and Sad21+

Sad21+

I use an Abbott Freestyle Lite which allegedly requires a very small drop of blood, so my lancing device might not draw enough for some other monitors.
Oh wow thank you for your advice. I didn't know that. Thanks

Sad21+

Oh wow thank you for your advice. I didn't know that. Thanks

Sad21+

Most lancet kits have the ability to adjust the pricking depth of the lancet so as to cope with the different thicknesses of people's fingers. I can't see why you'd have to use the kit supplied by the same company as the meter. Personally, I don't bother with a kit at all, I just use a lancet on its own, which means I don't have to worry what brand the lancet is and I also minimise the amount of equipment I need, but then I've been pricking my fingers for 40 years and remember pre glucometers and used to use syringes for my insulin instead of insulin pens :).
Thank you for your comment. It's very helpful. Thank you for your kindness. Oh wow its amazing how times have changed. Thank you.

Sad21+

From personal experience, I can confirm you do not need to use the lancet that comes with the meter. Anyone who suggests otherwise is being unnecessarily overly cautious and may not understand how to prick their finger. They all do the same thing - make a hole in your finger. As others have said, they all allow you to choose how deep the hole is.
Recently, I used my stabbed recently for a non diabetes blood test that needed more blood. It worked perfectly and was easier to hold and control than the stabbed that came with the kit.

If you make sure your mother’s fingers are warm when you prick them, blood will flow easier. I often hold a cup of hot tea for a few minutes.
This is brilliant. I really do appreciate this. And thank you for the helpful advice. This whole situation has been so overwhelming. And everyone here are so lovely. Thank you.

Reactions: VashtiB

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have used my Accu-Chek Fastclix lancing device with three different brands of meters, I have had no problems with blood sample size with any of them.

Reactions: EllieM and Sad21+

UK T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, completely agree with others - I have chosen to keep my lancing device and lancets from an old meter as I liked the size of the device and found those lancets the least painful to use and it has worked without issue with 3 different meter brands.

I'd also suggest if you're happy with the meter you have, and know how to use it confidently then no reason to change? You can see how you get on with the current meter and if you do have issues change at a later date?

Good tips on making sure fingers are warm before testing, I sometimes shake my hand a bit, sort of flicking in a downwards motion if I've been out in the cold.

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...
You can use lancing devices and lancets from any providers, but it is the case some meters require a bigger blood sample than others. All lancing devices I've had allow you to adjust the depth of the skin prick to aid sample size.

But probably the most useful thing to alleviate pain and difficulty with finger pricks is making sure fingers are very warm before testing. Never had much issue in Singapore and Thailand re blood pricks, but oh the pain when trying on cold fingers back in temperate UK!

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
I also use the accu check Lancet and needles and find them excellent and kept them after moving on to another meter

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I also use the accu check Lancet and needles and find them excellent and kept them after moving on to another meter
I used to use a Multiclix,as it was my original lancer, it got damaged by my chair when I dropped it. Could not get another one there's still a couple of lancet drums in the drawer.

Using the lancers from Abbot and Ascencia is like using a nail gun compared to Accu-Chek products. :meh: