Carnivore Corner

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3, @Brunneria, and @Goonergal

I found this photo of the the two skirts I was thinking of, the top part is the diaphragm shirt which is more tender than the bottom part which is flank skirt which needs a slower cooking method.

skirt-steak-vs-flank-steak.png

Ah thank you for clearing that up. The flank skirt must be what I remember as being the tougher cut.
Diaphragm skirt doesn’t sound quite so appealing as bavette steak somehow,

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Interesting piece by Nina Teicholz looking at the biases against red meat in dietary guidelines.

Reactions: DJC3

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, but shipping carcases halfway around the world in refrigerated cargo holds is not exactly helping the environment especially as marine crude oil is the most polluting fuel they could ever use. The animals give out the same amount of GHG wherever they are farmed, so no benefit in that respect either. UK farmland used for livestock tends to be non-productive for Agri farming, so to glibly claim that this land will support an equivalent amount of human food stock in plant based foods is nonsense.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Here, in the Hebrides, it is difficult to grow any crop other than grass (soil, temperature, rainfall etc). We are a perfect example of the kind of farmland that can only be used to raise livestock - no animals to be kept = land eventually returning to the wild. The place might become a kind of tourist attraction for those wanting to visit wild places and enjoy having holidays in the wintry conditions we enjoy in the summer (not very many). Anyway, how will this improve the lot of all those animals that will no longer be farmed? Nobody will keep totally unproductive flocks of sheep and they would all be slaughtered.

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Singapore gets a lot of its meat from AUS, it’s pretty good, NZ is ok too but I think they must have skinny cows. A NZ porterhouse is 1/2 the size of USDA.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good news for meat eaters in the UK, a free trade agreement has been agreed between Australia and the UK and will mean more meat coming your way.

https://www.dfat.gov.au/trade/agree...uk-fta-negotiations-agreement-principle#goods

Edit: Typos
There was a time before the EU stopped it. when the UK imported loads of antipodean goods. Beef, Lamb, coal, butter and Fosters. We in turn replied with guided missiles and bombs (remember Blue Streak, Woomera?), and then AUS fired back by sending us The Murdochs, Kylie, and Jason. Yes, some we won, some we lost. The ones I think that are relevant here are the barbie, and the tinnie.

Reactions: DJC3

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Any tips on cooking a (very large) tomahawk steak? Have one coming to room temperature on the kitchen counter. Am thinking reverse sear, but open to other ideas!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Any tips on cooking a (very large) tomahawk steak? Have one coming to room temperature on the kitchen counter. Am thinking reverse sear, but open to other ideas!
I'd reverse sear but a bit depending on thickness maybe?

Reactions: Annb

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I’d reverse sear too, I want to see a photo at the end, sounds delicious.

Reactions: Goonergal