Celebrating real foods

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
My lovely wife made the Sage Butter Chicken with Lemony Spring Greens (minus peas for my portion). I did the air fried popcorn chicken and prawns done the same way
upload_2021-4-28_18-4-54.png

Reactions: DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My lovely wife made the Sage Butter Chicken with Lemony Spring Greens (minus peas for my portion). I did the air fried popcorn chicken and prawns done the same way
View attachment 49135

Looks wonderful. How do you make the popcorn chicken? Is it just coated with oil, s&p or do you have a specific seasoning mix?

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Looks wonderful. How do you make the popcorn chicken? Is it just coated with oil, s&p or do you have a specific seasoning mix?
What I do is put the air fryer on high, cut up 2 chicken breasts into chunks, put in a mixing bowl, sprinkle with cayenne pepper, sweet smoked paprika and fajita seasoning. I mix together. Then put into the warmed air fryer. I sprinkle some more fajita seasoning lightly and cook, turning intuitively once with another light sprinkle of fajita. When it looks right I take a large chunk out, cut in half to ensure cooked.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This thread is turning into another version of Carnivore Corner. Isn't there any vegetarian real food?

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A veggie lunch for me today @Mr_Pot and a carni dinner!
Lunch was roast veg: aubergine, courgette, red pepper and mushrooms with grated Parmesan , followed by 100g Fage yoghurt.
Dinner was a h/m bacon cheeseburger ( did have a bit of salad with it so not entirely carni) Red wine also.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What I do is put the air fryer on high, cut up 2 chicken breasts into chunks, put in a mixing bowl, sprinkle with cayenne pepper, sweet smoked paprika and fajita seasoning. I mix together. Then put into the warmed air fryer. I sprinkle some more fajita seasoning lightly and cook, turning intuitively once with another light sprinkle of fajita. When it looks right I take a large chunk out, cut in half to ensure cooked.

Thank you. Sounds and looks great. No oil though? I’d have expected it to dry out a bit.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Carni all the way for me, @DJC3 but I almost bought a salad at the salad bar in Morrison’s as they looked really fresh. Stuck to the rotisserie chicken. That was dinner.
Brunch was mince fried with onions and 2 eggs.

Oh, I did have some nuts on the train to Brum :D

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thank you. Sounds and looks great. No oil though? I’d have expected it to dry out a bit.
No oil. It is important to watch the cooking time, I just go on instinct and testing.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I seem to be eating loads at the moment. I blame the weather today - too horrible to be outside much.
Started with Ham, eggs and kimchi.
Lunch Fage yoghurt and a handful of 100% cocoa chocolate drops.
Diner was roast leg of pork from a local farm. I don’t know whether to feel proud or ashamed that Paul and I I ate the whole 3lb joint between us. There was a bone in it but I can’t pretend the bone weighed 2lb! I chucked 1/2 courgette and some aubergine in to cook in the pork fat towards the end.

Reactions: Riva_Roxaban

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
don’t know whether to feel proud or ashamed that Paul and I I ate the whole 3lb joint between us.

Definitely proud! Sounds very tasty.

Here lunch was 20% mince fried with onions and 2 large eggs.

Dinner - despite the closeness of Nando’s to my Airbnb, the weather meant I opted for delivery. Laziness in the extreme, but tasty wings and Halloumi arrived for consumption!

Hotpepper20000

Yesterday was a couple of ribeyes steaks, crab and cream cheese stuffed mushrooms made on the BBQ.
Today I have boneless chicken thighs
With roasted eggplants.
I’ve been really hungry in the last few weeks. I think it’s been all the work in garden and green house, and finally being able to go cycling on a regular basis.
Trying to make sure to eat enough protein to help build muscles. I’ve been off dairy for the most part except cream in my coffee. The cream cheese yesterday was unusual.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ribeye and crab sounds good @Hotpepper20000

I’ve been on reduced dairy too. Just bought some 0% Fage today to test a theory - that it’s causing gut issues. Have been off the other suspects for over a week, so hopefully a fair trial!

On the move today. Had 4 Nando’s wings leftover from yesterday for my train journey, but decided they weren’t enough. Picked up a bunless bacon burger with grilled onions at Five Guys on the station and some Serious Pig snacking cheese. Delighted to find that the snacking cheese has a PE value of just over 1 due to the type of cheese used. Yay!

Dinner once home was mince fried with onions and 2 eggs. Just followed up with some Fage 0%.

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I made a tasty turkey mince curry at the weekend. It was supposed to be chinese-dumpling style cabbage rolls but I forgot my plans and got some home-made tomato sauce out of the freezer, so curry it became. With aubergine and courgette, and some of the aforementioned cabbage instead of rice.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ribeye and crab sounds good @Hotpepper20000

I’ve been on reduced dairy too. Just bought some 0% Fage today to test a theory - that it’s causing gut issues. Have been off the other suspects for over a week, so hopefully a fair trial!

On the move today. Had 4 Nando’s wings leftover from yesterday for my train journey, but decided they weren’t enough. Picked up a bunless bacon burger with grilled onions at Five Guys on the station and some Serious Pig snacking cheese. Delighted to find that the snacking cheese has a PE value of just over 1 due to the type of cheese used. Yay!

Dinner once home was mince fried with onions and 2 eggs. Just followed up with some Fage 0%.

Hope the 0% Fage isn’t the cause of the gut issues, I know you enjoy it. I stopped eating the full fat Greek because of exactly that, I’m finding the 0% one is generally ok though, provided I don’t go mad with it.

Reactions: Goonergal

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hope the 0% Fage isn’t the cause of the gut issues, I know you enjoy it. I stopped eating the full fat Greek because of exactly that, I’m finding the 0% one is generally ok though, provided I don’t go mad with it.

To be honest, it may need to go anyway as I massively overeat it. Just want to know whether it’s got to go for physical reasons or not!

Reactions: elleyouer and DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
To be honest, it may need to go anyway as I massively overeat it. Just want to know whether it’s got to go for physical reasons or not!

Fair enough. It’s easy to overeat as I’m finding out!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I’m celebrating being back with my air fryer after a few days away. Used twice today.

Lunch was some magnificent lamb ribs coated in lemon pepper and dinner was pork belly pieces coated in chilli oil and salt. Too much Fage 0% after both!

9D650152-E94B-4508-991C-B7015A35FF62.jpeg

Reactions: Riva_Roxaban

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lunch today was chicken and salad ( mostly leaves and celery) with h/m mayo. 0% Fage yoghurt to follow.
Dinner was minute steak and more salad plus celeriac chips done in the airfryer. Great success! First time I’ve actually had crispy celeriac chips.
A bit later I had a handful of 100% cocoa chocolate drops.

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Last night was a pork steak bashed out thin with a rolling pin. I find it much easier and quicker to cook this way so it stays juicy and tender. With some buttered flat beans and courgette, then berries and cream....