When you lose weight where does the fat go?

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
SO....i can get slimmer by breathing MORE often

good to know...;):D

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is written as a chemical process:
(C55 H104 O6) + 78 O2→55 CO2 + 52 H2O + energy,
but you can ignore this formula. The correct proportions of trygliceride (C55 H104 O6), oxygen (O2), carbon dioxide (CO2) and water (H2O) are however relevant and required if you want to make the following calculation yourself.

Think I’ll stick to counting carbs, thanks.

Lupf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@jjraak in principle you are correct. The conclusion of the papers says:
Our calculations show that the lungs are the primary excretory organ for fat.

Of course you also need to restrict intake of calories, but this is not easy as the human body is not a combustion engine. Calories are not all equal. Our metabolism is driven by hormones which regulate hunger and base metabolic rate (BMR). Eating less of the same does not work. it lowers your BMR and leaves you hungry. This is why most diets fail.

Thanks for the link to the very informative paper 12 points of evidence for LCHF
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0899900714003323#!

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@jjraak in principle you are correct. The conclusion of the papers says:
Our calculations show that the lungs are the primary excretory organ for fat.

Of course you also need to restrict intake of calories, but this is not easy as the human body is not a combustion engine. Calories are not all equal. Our metabolism is driven by hormones which regulate hunger and base metabolic rate (BMR). Eating less of the same does not work. it lowers your BMR and leaves you hungry. This is why most diets fail.

Thanks for the link to the very informative paper 12 points of evidence for LCHF
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0899900714003323#!

I was of course, taking a liberty and being rather flip ...my apologies

I read back on your early posts, great success, congratulations

Have to agree,. I had noticed on my journey, that some foods seemed to have more "value' keeping hunger at bay then others.

I ate the Eatwell diet for 8 weeks after DX, and like many was almost too worried to enjoy eating
I actually got worse which is when I searched and found this forum

So I can categorically agree with your summation about diets
I felt wretched, depressed and constantly hungry.
Not something I ever feel since changing diet.

Reading up, Dr Fung was an eye opener, and then the piece you mention stuck in my head.

While we're talking links ..

THIS
https://www.livingloud.org.uk/single-post/2018/12/14/International-Diabetes-Summit-2018

Was the most influential post I read that year.
I was able to watch the video, ( can't find it now)
And he had me cheering him on
SO spot on.

....Above all I am with the growing tide of thousands quietly getting on with saving their own lives.

Absolutely NAILED it for me

Worth a read

Last edited:
Reactions: Lupf and EllieM
D

Deleted member 543160

My fat often ends up transmogrified into ketones which go whizzing round and round in my brain until all dizzy and worn out with all that mental activity they end up being breathed out in the form of acetone - which is more environmental friendly I think than snorting out carbon dioxide! :wacky:

Reactions: lucylocket61

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Yes, This is a good thread to re-ignite.

I knew about the triglycerides, because when I went moderate low-carb immediately post diagnosis what feels like an age ago now, (I also walked - a LOT), my triglyceride numbers went up so high that they could not measure them. That was due to about 30kg worth of fat storage getting out of my fat cells into my blood stream... until it was "dealt to" in a month or so, and my triglycerides were a new healthy level. (I had better re-read that post to find out about the 'dealing to' :).)

My cholesterol is shot though, I need to add. I have dyslipidemia for sure. But I have had a good trig/HDL ratio ever since lowering my carbs. Never gained the 20-30kg back either. (I add that, as I didn't weigh myself before diabetes, or measure my waist, I am not so sure of how much I lost, hence the 10kg possible range.)

I am one of those people who would have to be real skinny to be resolved of the diabetes (I know from experimentation), and I can't do that, so here I am. Normal weighted. Definitely not skinny.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When you lose weight where does the fat go?
I believe it is going down the gurgler in to the sewerage system, where it is causing part of the fatberg problem. :D

Lupf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When discussing recently on another thread @aris pointed to a TEDx talk by Ruben Meerman, author of the paper

When somebody loses weight, where does the fat go?​

on which this thread was based on. While this discussion took place almost 3 years ago,
this is all still relevant, so for completeness I post the link here as well:
a) for the TEDx talk

b) and again the paper

Last edited:
Reactions: aris

Prancy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It’s funny my mom just asked this question of me yesterday. She said what happened….you had fat, then it‘s gone….to where?

Reactions: Lupf