Lifting weights, spiking levels HELP

ChewyChewy

Hi, i have recently started lifting weights. Not excessively but I have noticed when I do my levels spike upto towards the 20s. I have spoken to my diabetes nurse and had a few things suggested such as eating before, doing some cardio mixed in with the lifting or doing it after to help balance it out with idea of cardio bringing down the levels. All abit trial and error, wondering if anyone had similar problems and how they conquered it, or just any ideas really. Cheers

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, i have recently started lifting weights. Not excessively but I have noticed when I do my levels spike upto towards the 20s. I have spoken to my diabetes nurse and had a few things suggested such as eating before, doing some cardio mixed in with the lifting or doing it after to help balance it out with idea of cardio bringing down the levels. All abit trial and error, wondering if anyone had similar problems and how they conquered it, or just any ideas really. Cheers
Hi… this is an off topic forum so doesn’t alert people to new posts, there is a more specific forum that might be better for you? I can move this post there if you like?

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/weight-loss-and-dieting.27/

Edit: was in off topic, have moved but leaving this post to keep thread making sense

Last edited:

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
HI @ChewyChewy , what type of diabetes do you have? What medication are you on, if any?

This makes a massive difference to any advice given, as T1ers can do correction doses of insulin to cope with certain types of exercise....

And welcome to the forums.

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “

I’m T2 and am totally into weightlifting, first time I tested after a workout, I was quite shocked at how high my BG shot up, then how low it went in the next hours

It’s your liver and muscles dumping glycogen .., bro science lol.

As I started packing on the muscle, it seems that I’ve become insulin sensitive, or I’m overtraining and I’m not recovering lol, anyway the spikes were more tame after a few months.

Reactions: ChewyChewy

ChewyChewy

HI @ChewyChewy , what type of diabetes do you have? What medication are you on, if any?

This makes a massive difference to any advice given, as T1ers can do correction doses of insulin to cope with certain types of exercise....

And welcome to the forums.
Hi, i am type 1, on humalog via pump. Ive tried increasing my basal yesterday by 50% for 4 hours, and did seem to have an impact, but im all ears for suggestions. Thank you