Eating Out Normally Again Is Something I Dream Of

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In my head, I wonder, can I find a way to manage this that nobody else has? ……Have I stumbled on to a new approach ? Has medical science got it wrong and are too tick box focused? Or am I completely barking mad ? I don't wat to be held ransom to this disease but I don't want to lose any more to it, now or in the future either. I am going to make it my mission ... time permitting... to discover a new way to deal with this where people us can have our cake and eat it. If by some miracle I can come up with another way….

honestly I wouldn’t be so harsh as to saying barking mad, just in the early diagnosis stage of denial that almost all of us went through. Some (many in here) adjust to a new normal and hate it less as time goes by and even come to enjoy many aspects. Others struggle and fall off the wagon and usually continue to struggle managing their levels and complications too. It also seems you are “punishing” yourself by making things far more bland than they need to be

Reactions: lucylocket61

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
being diagnosed with a condition like this can lead to the stages of grief, which are interchangeable and dont follow a linear pattern, but can got backwards and forwards for a time until we accept and adjust to our change or loss.

The five stages, denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance are a part of the framework that makes up our learning to live with the loss, or changes which are hard or major.

Reactions: Sad21+ and If_only

Beating-My-Betes

If you drive at 10mph some of the time it doesn't make driving at 90mph the rest of the time less dangerous.

Not sure this analogy works. What you are alluding to involves constants. However, if the diabetes protocol one is following helps to increase insulin sensitivity over time, then it should follow that with time off-plan meals would make less of an impact, due to that extra sensitivity.

Reactions: If_only

Hotpepper20000

Not sure this analogy works. What you are alluding to involves constants. However, if the diabetes protocol one is following helps to increase insulin sensitivity over time, then it should follow that with time off-plan meals would make less of an impact, due to that extra sensitivity.
That would be good in theory but refined carbs are very addictive for many of us. As well as higher glucose levels, even if not really high can cause cravings.

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Carb creep is a real & present danger.
Another slice of toast here, another few spuds, a pack of crisps . . . next thing you know you've fallen off the wagon & your BG is only going one way.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Some posts have been deleted for derailing the thread.

The thread has meandered a little, but generally in response to points raised by the OP. However, please bear in mind the topic of the thread and refrain from unnecessary divergence into other issues. A new thread can always be started to continue or follow up on points not of direct relevance here.

Further derailing posts will also be deleted.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I can sympathise with a lot of what has been said. My taste buds missed the memo on changing after almost 2 years very low carb. I do still find eating out challenging. I think I even posted on a thread last week where someone had posted a menu and asked for some suggestions. When I looked at the menu all I could see was the food I would love but can't eat. It was enlightening to me what others saw. It really helped me and I wasn't the on e going out.

For me eating out was something I used to really enjoy. Much less so now. I avoided it completely now I am more selective with where I won't go. I won't go where there are no options and at times I won't go if it will cause me too much upset.

Like @JoKalsbeek I had a high tea (for my 50th) and loved it- not possible to do it again and I find that sad.

Having said that I am able to go out as long as I am selective. I stick to Diet Coke with either rum or vodka rather than my preferred cocktails and I stick to what I know is safe.

I don't 'cheat'. It's my body- don't want diabetic complications and really really don't want to go through keto flu again. I want to k now that I have done the best to avoid complications. You are even younger than me so consider them.

However- sorry for the long post. You need to find a point that works for you. I can't 'cheat' because getting back on the wagon would be too hard. I never met a carb I didn't love. Most- over 90% of the time I am completely resigned and don't stress about it. For the first year it was almost all I thought about. Find a solution that works for you.

Use this forum. It has made all the difference to me.

Good luck! ! and virtual hugs.

Reactions: Antje77

jenfoolery

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I'm only just now starting to venture back out to restaurant-world and menus are definitely kind of daunting. My strategy so far is to just not agree to go to places that won't have anything safe, and also to get over myself and disclose my diagnosis to my friends. I had been avoiding that. But my friends love me and want me to do well, and having them on my side is great for supporting good decisions as well as sharing food. Like, take all of my rice if I can have some of your tofu.

Munkki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, what a great post, I can identify with a lot people have written, but I also got good ideas for restaurant requests. In six years, I got my fair share of experiences and I am eating out regularly whenever I can. What I miss is to just order and eat what I like, try foods others recommend (from their home country, or home made etc) and to eat classic specialities (Stollen, Sacher Torte etc) and childhood favourites. I have struggled more during and after pregnancy, as I sometimes just want something quick and simple like a slice of bread. I am eating well though and usually don't feel deprived. On the contrary, I don't feel like I have to stick to light and low fat options, and can indulge in steak and cheese. The starchy foods are often the cheap and low quality foods and they wouldn't taste good anymore to me. When eating out, I have had bad experiences, with misunderstandings (no potatoes = new potatoes, and many of them), unexpected sugar in the dish, tiny portions and plain disrespect, but I have also had many good experiences with tasty, high quality options, helpful staff, and even envy from non diabetics (especially at work events, when I get a massive meat and cheese plate or the only non vegetarian plate...) It is sad that this way of eating is still quite niche and I still haven't found out whether mentioning my diabetes actually helps or not.

Reactions: Antje77

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Having been moderately low carb for the past 5 years I am used to navigating eating out. I don't have a problem with breakfast, I have full English, or cheese, ham, hardboiled egg etc. Evening meals I avoid chinese or the sort of Italian that only do pizza and pasta. Other than that I can always choose something that's ok or just leave some of it. Lunch is the pain, sometimes I would just like roll or a sandwich, something I can hold in my hand and eat with no fuss. Of course some will say go without lunch or take cheese or other snacks with you. There are solutions but it would be nice not to have to think of them.

Reactions: Sad21+ and Dudette1

1970clea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A short rant - been invited to end of school year staff lunch - I would like to go. Food choices? Fish and chips or pizza and chips. So I had to respectfully decline. But it makes me both mad and sad.

1970clea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Having been moderately low carb for the past 5 years I am used to navigating eating out. I don't have a problem with breakfast, I have full English, or cheese, ham, hardboiled egg etc. Evening meals I avoid chinese or the sort of Italian that only do pizza and pasta. Other than that I can always choose something that's ok or just leave some of it. Lunch is the pain, sometimes I would just like roll or a sandwich, something I can hold in my hand and eat with no fuss. Of course some will say go without lunch or take cheese or other snacks with you. There are solutions but it would be nice not to have to think of them.

The low carb tortilla wraps from Carbzone have completely solved portable lunches for me - taste just like non LC too.

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Excited, a new Korean BBQ joint just opened near my house. Slabs of meat and kimchi

Reactions: Sad21+ and Antje77

Haddo16

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not many
Whilst not exactly the same, I had something very similar when I suddenly found out I was gluten intolerant (after 30 years of happily eating plenty of gluten-y things).
The conversation would sometimes go like this:
Me: have you got anything gluten free I could have
Them: Um, well we have some salads
My thoughts: Did I say I was a rabbit???? I said gluten free not everything else free as well!
Me (actual reply): ok thanks
Promptly followed by myself and the friends/family I'd gone with leaving to find somewhere that could do something better.

But yes for my issue (which I realise isn't the same) I have to be strict otherwise it will make me ill, but I just find other places to go to that could do me something nice for me, most now-a-days will try and help and find something suitable for me (I'm also really picky as well and said pickiness started well before I got the gluten intolerance problem)
I was diagnosed type 2 a year ago today with a HBA1c of 78 I’ve lost 5 stone in weight and last three readings for my HAB1c have been 38 and less I’ve cut down on carbs but not completely I have oats or weetabix for breakfast I have 1 wholemeal bread role for lunch still have sweet potatoes fries when out with no spikes have the odd tipple most weeks, life hasn’t changed that much which made me think my diabetes was weight related, My point being that you need to know what works for you it’s not all doom and gloom as a lot on here think it is it’s just a new way of live that takes a bit of getting used too, this is only my opinion and I’m sure there will be a lot of negative comments but all I can say is work at it it gets easier and good luck.

Reactions: Dudette1

1970clea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Agreed, but I'm a diabetic who spikes at at all the things you have said you are lucky enough to still be eating. So I have to be a lot stricter to stay in the same place and therefore feel entitled to feel a little hard done by at times ;)

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
The most simple foods can make me spike , If I have a burger in a bun I might spike at 10 , if I put ketchup on it i'll shoot up to 16 , A similar thing happens if I have coleslaw with a salad !

If_only

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The thought of vegetables day after day after day for all eternity
That is what I hope to achieve

If_only

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Agreed, but I'm a diabetic who spikes at at all the things you have said you are lucky enough to still be eating. So I have to be a lot stricter to stay in the same place and therefore feel entitled to feel a little hard done by at times ;)
Hi, I do really feel for everyone who has tackled this and is tackling this horrible disease and I hope things improve and someday we can all enjoy what we want to have.

Reactions: Sad21+

If_only

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Well since I started my strict regime I am finding I don't want breakfast. A lot of days I don't want dinner either and feel quite comfortable on just a lunch and some healthy snacks during the day. I still want to believe that I can "bank" carbs over a month and allow a meal out thats not a salad now and again. I don't notice any physical side effects such as going hypo or hyper. Maybe this is not good but I'll use it to my advantage if its safe. I am still going through that phase of this is a sentence now and then but I have got it down to maybe feeling this way a couple of times a week. I'm not going to give in to myself but I still believe there is a way to have my cake and eat it ... maybe thats not the best saying for a diabetic.