My Son travelling around the world by push bike

Rosejingles

My son is type 1, I am proud of him as he has always tried not to let his diabetes get in the way of his life. And he has gone through many challenges . He has succeeded in solo skydiving. Deep sea diving . Wild camping , rock climbing and white water kayaking. He has an insulin pump. He is my hero, I just wanted to post this, to give anyone that needs it a little boost and inspiration ti say you can do as oppose to you cant do. In a few days he will be flying to Puerto Rico with his pushbike and enough insulin to last one year . He Hope's to stay travel for five years and cycle around the world. He is on Instagram for this adventure. Stay positive and have yourselves an adventure too

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In a few days he will be flying to Puerto Rico with his pushbike and enough insulin to last one year . He Hope's to stay travel for five years and cycle around the world.
Bets of luck getting permissions to enter countries that have Covid 19 non essential travel restrictions.

He might find it almost impossible to get into Australia to ride a bike around here.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
He might find it almost impossible to get into Australia to ride a bike around here.

Hopefully he'll be alright if he doesn't do it till year 2 or 3 of the trip?
What I'm really curious about is how he's managing to transport a year's worth of insulin supplies...

Reactions: Rosejingles

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What I'm really curious about is how he's managing to transport a year's worth of insulin supplies...

With the best will in the world. That sorta mystifies me too..
& I've been around about a bit touring fronting a band?

But I don't wish to worry his mum.. I know my mum was when I planned doing India.. :)

But hey. I'm still here. :D

Rosejingles

Hi Ellie .
So he has taken the vials out of the boxes . And the ones for the insulin pump are quite small. He is putting them in a waterproof Biffy bag. With reusable ice packs that last 18 hours. If he finds this is too much space . He will take six months. And then I will need to send some to him . He would need to stay for a few days at a place for me to do this . His plan is for five years so he will stay I guess for a person if time in each country to enjoy . Lee will need to refreeze the ice packs. Hopefully finding a kind hotel etc for him to be able to do this . I will post now and again to let all know how he is doing. As I find my son can help others to say 'I Can Do. ' and over come obstacles. X

Reactions: EllieM

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Ellie .
So he has taken the vials out of the boxes . And the ones for the insulin pump are quite small. He is putting them in a waterproof Biffy bag. With reusable ice packs that last 18 hours. If he finds this is too much space . He will take six months. And then I will need to send some to him . He would need to stay for a few days at a place for me to do this . His plan is for five years so he will stay I guess for a person if time in each country to enjoy . Lee will need to refreeze the ice packs. Hopefully finding a kind hotel etc for him to be able to do this . I will post now and again to let all know how he is doing. As I find my son can help others to say 'I Can Do. ' and over come obstacles. X

All I can say is "brilliant". I've been all over Africa and India white water kayaking but not for as long as your son plans to travel, insulin is easily available in most large towns and cities and surprisingly cheap too. I had a friend who did a round the world kayaking trip with her boyfriend (now husband) for just over a year, she is a diabetic and likely travelled to most of the places your son is going and had no issues getting supplies either locally or shipped to her.

There will always be those who will say you shouldn't, don't go, travel restrictions etc but these likely never left their sofa. Pass on my best wishes and really look forward to him sharing his journey.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Ellie .

Rose, wow, he sounds like a fabulous son. As others have said, if you procrastinate too much about what you should and shouldn't do because you have diabetes you'd do nothing. Good for him, I am sure that any issues he comes across he will find a solution for, after all there are diabetics all over the world. Please DO come back and give us an update, we love reading success stories. x

Rosejingles

Bets of luck getting permissions to enter countries that have Covid 19 non essential travel restrictions.

Hi . Lee will travel at first to countries he is allowed in. As his plan is over 5 years

Reactions: KK123

Rosejingles

All I can say is "brilliant". I've been all over Africa and India white water kayaking but not for as long as your son plans to travel, insulin is easily available in most large towns and cities and surprisingly cheap too. I had a friend who did a round the world kayaking trip with her boyfriend (now husband) for just over a year, she is a diabetic and likely travelled to most of the places your son is going and had no issues getting supplies either locally or shipped to her.

There will always be those who will say you shouldn't, don't go, travel restrictions etc but these likely never left their sofa. Pass on my best wishes and really look forward to him sharing his journey.
Thank you for your positive message . I am interested to know what countries does any one know that the insulin for the pumps are easy ans cheap to.obtain ?

Rosejingles

My son is type 1, I am proud of him as he has always tried not to let his diabetes get in the way of his life. And he has gone through many challenges . He has succeeded in solo skydiving. Deep sea diving . Wild camping , rock climbing and white water kayaking. He has an insulin pump. He is my hero, I just wanted to post this, to give anyone that needs it a little boost and inspiration ti say you can do as oppose to you cant do. In a few days he will be flying to Puerto Rico with his pushbike and enough insulin to last one year . He Hope's to stay travel for five years and cycle around the world. He is on Instagram for this adventure. Stay positive and have yourselves an adventure too
This is lee bike he is taking . He has bought everything light weight . Including bags and tent and clothes . I send a photos of his bike packed. If lee has a practise. I am sure he will. He is leaving 23rd June 3am in morning .
20210620_103517.jpg

Rosejingles

My Son is also a Vegan . And has made his own sunscreens and insect repellant sprays as he like natural ingredients. He admits he may need to adapt his eating habits according to countries visited . He is a minimalistic person now. And has practically sold his old life in a car boot sale he held . He says letting go of the old and starting a new life is the key to his freedom .

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My Son is also a Vegan . And has made his own sunscreens and insect repellant sprays as he like natural ingredients. He admits he may need to adapt his eating habits according to countries visited . He is a minimalistic person now. And has practically sold his old life in a car boot sale he held . He says letting go of the old and starting a new life is the key to his freedom .

Hi,

How old is your son?

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you for your positive message . I am interested to know what countries does any one know that the insulin for the pumps are easy ans cheap to.obtain ?

Insulin for pumps is the same as it is for pens, only difference is the pump cartridges and if these are refillable or not. Diabetes is global so availability should not be too difficult. I spoke to the UK embassy in India (Delhi) when I got stuck there due to the Icelandic volcano (stopping europe flights) they were very helpful as a few of there staff where diabetics. If in any doubt on countries I'd start by calling the local UK embassy for advice.