NHS Data grab/GPDPR

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can you give an example of how it might actually be used though?

When your mental health and criminal record (if you have one) can be linked into a digital currency that you might only be allowed to spend on certain things.. just for one example.

Also the sale of large parts of the NHS database will be a boon for insurance companies and actuaries. So for example your ability to get life assurance could be based on your BMI and changes over time monitored.

Your vaccination status could become common knowledge and those who haven't had certain boosters or jabs could be excluded from society... need I go on?

Reactions: urbanracer

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That doesn't really answer my question. I am not saying sharing data is a good idea but I was hoping to get some suggestions as to how the data might be used to my detriment. Everyone seems to talk about vague concepts of privacy without giving any examples.
Life insurance premiums and or their acceptance criteria, DVLA licence renewal especially with regard to hypo awareness and eyesight. Targeted advertising (as Jaylee pointed out both of us get frequent ED advertising. I am getting Care Home and Retirement offers already due to my age I presume). We already get something like 6 or more phishing phone calls a a day from already hacked internet data. But I can see the data in this database being used by legitimate companies gaining legal access to do targeted advertising of their own on top of the guff I already receive.

The major one which I currently avoid is having that data being used by companies that I may have applied for employment with, in much the same way that our social media data seems to be scanned. Any mental health issues or depression treatment could be used against applicants.

Visa applications and work abroad could be affected too. Holiday insurance is one that currently gets affected by medical issues, and this database could be checked to ensure our applications for cover are not hiding previously undeclared conditions.

Lastly, pension plans that use annuity insurance could be affected by pre-existing medical history. We do not know how our records could be interpreted, and unaware of how early life events may be taken into account. Most of these currently require us to sign a release for medical record access, so we remain in control. This database with backdoor access could be used without our knowledge or permission. By persons unknown or identifiable by us, Hospital admissions for drug misuse or alcohol abuse at any time can bar entry into the USA for example, and prevent the use of hire cars abroad. It only needs to happen once in your lifetime.

This database only covers the last 10 years as planned, but how will they sift out the date-expired info on time to ensure this is strictly adhered to? I get the impression it may only apply to the primary upload in September.

Reactions: urbanracer

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Can you give an example of how it might actually be used though?
As @bulkbiker and @Oldvatr have highlighted there are many issues and you might say that as it’s none specific to you that this might not affect you

research could be powerful, that higher prevelance of illnesses could raise alarms and find problems we didn’t know about. But this data isn’t pure research, it appears any company can pay for access

But when an insurance company determines a higher prevalence of illnesses in your postcode and makes an assumption and increases your premiums. Or lesser so, targeted advertising to your sky

plus, the data isn’t truly anonymous. If that data on your history leaks into the internet and the key is disclosed…

I’m sure it’s unlikely but it’s not impossible and we have a history in this country (and to be fair elsewhere) or major data breaches

The main thing is very much that the government tried to hide this. That’s the alarm bells.

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just opted out online, it was vey simple. You just need your NHS number. Deadline is now September.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wonder how they did that calculation.
Surely the argument is about anonymity. It seems sensible to collect data from medical records, I am sure they do it now. For example they know what percentage of various age groups have been vaccinated. What is not acceptable is for external organisations to be able to link data to individuals.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
After a PPG meeting yesterday found out the the opt out date has been changed to 25th August.
And the commencement date for the data grab has been postponed.

This was the letter forwarded to me by our local Practice Manager (which he allowed me to share)..

Screenshot 2021-07-21 at 16.43.30.png
Screenshot 2021-07-21 at 16.43.38.png

Seems some of the docs also have concerns and not just the patients...

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
After a PPG meeting yesterday found out the the opt out date has been changed to 25th August.
And the commencement date for the data grab has been postponed.

This was the letter forwarded to me by our local Practice Manager (which he allowed me to share)..

View attachment 50537 View attachment 50538

Seems some of the docs also have concerns and not just the patients...
Wondering if this is Javid attempting to undo some of the damage that Hancock had instigated?
Letter dated 20th July...

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Whoever is in charge, and Javid is a former chancellor, the cost of social care has to get funded. Its a can that can't be kicked further down the road. Overt additions to NI are regressive and hit the poorest and youngest the hardest so not politically viable. Income tax hikes may be fairer but still unpopular. So maybe there is a covert ay of doing it cloaked in a public health or research defence?
My husband, someone selling data analysis software, feels this is mere luddism given the constraints that GDPR puts on the NHS, which tends to operate in disease and regional silos, and pre covid I might have agreed with him. But after this I just can't trust their motives but mainly their competency to use my data properly so I have opted out.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Thanks for starting this thread. I wouldn’t have acted without the info from you.

Need to stay alert though, I'm thinking 'they' will be trying to find a way around it.

Reactions: lucylocket61

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What happens in respect of children’s data. Anyone know?

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
That’s the cool part about being an expat, my home country has no health records on me for the last 15 years. But I’ve been getting advertisements for diabetes stuff, so I guess google and Facebook, and some groups of hackers know

Reactions: OrsonKartt