New Member and Just Diagnosed Type 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hipsters :D
Hi All,

New here, 42 from Scotland and just diagnosed type 2 around a month ago.

Started on Glimipride but after a couple of weeks was causing my blood sugar to go too low, so GP told me to stop and now on Metformin for 1 week so far (1 x 500mg non-SR per day with main meal) and then step up to twice daily after 2 weeks.

Whilst on the glimipride I was fine apart from the occasional low reading, most of the time it was normal, but on the metformin I've had real tummy issues and generally feeing ill, no motivation.

I changed my diet drastically when I found out and started on low GI foods, and while on the glimipride everything was back to normal levels, but since being on the Metformin I am really getting odd readings!

Scrambled eggs with brown toast this morning changed my BS from 7.4 to 10.5, when before on the glimipride it stayed sub 8.0. A boiled egg with brown toast yesterday send my BS up to 9.9, whereas on the glimipride it was all normal.

Yet a takeaway I had on Saturday night (Birthday Treat) takes my BS from 7.2 to 8.1.

So starting to feel really confused, because foods I was able to tolerate before and low GI now seem to be putting my bs higher than it was before.

Could the medication be the issue?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @the_lorne_ranger , and welcome to the forum!
Glimepiride works completely different from metformin, in that it forces your pancreas to produce more insulin. Metformin doesn't do this.
I think your numbers show that without the glimepiride toast in the morning has more carbs than your body can handle.

Many of us find the highest numbers in the morning: the liver dumps glucose in the bloodstream to help get you going for the day, so your body needs to deal with that already, and adding the toast can be too much.
It can also well be that you're more sensitive to insulin later in the day than in the mornings, so it makes sense the take-away worked out better than the toast.
I use injected insulin, and I need about 3 times as much insulin for the exact same food in the morning than I need in the evening!

Perhaps you can find a breakfast food you like with fewer carbs and have the more carby foods later in the day to see how that works out.

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All,

New here, 42 from Scotland and just diagnosed type 2 around a month ago.

Started on Glimipride but after a couple of weeks was causing my blood sugar to go too low, so GP told me to stop and now on Metformin for 1 week so far (1 x 500mg non-SR per day with main meal) and then step up to twice daily after 2 weeks.

Whilst on the glimipride I was fine apart from the occasional low reading, most of the time it was normal, but on the metformin I've had real tummy issues and generally feeing ill, no motivation.

I changed my diet drastically when I found out and started on low GI foods, and while on the glimipride everything was back to normal levels, but since being on the Metformin I am really getting odd readings!

Scrambled eggs with brown toast this morning changed my BS from 7.4 to 10.5, when before on the glimipride it stayed sub 8.0. A boiled egg with brown toast yesterday send my BS up to 9.9, whereas on the glimipride it was all normal.

Yet a takeaway I had on Saturday night (Birthday Treat) takes my BS from 7.2 to 8.1.

So starting to feel really confused, because foods I was able to tolerate before and low GI now seem to be putting my bs higher than it was before.

Most people seem to find the effect of brown bread, brown rice etc is no different from the white varieties. Replace the toast with bacon is a better idea.

Reactions: the_lorne_ranger
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @the_lorne_ranger , and welcome to the forum!

Glimepiride works completely different from metformin, in that it forces your pancreas to produce more insulin. Metformin doesn't do this.
I think your numbers show that without the glimepiride toast in the morning has more carbs than your body can handle.

Many of us find the highest numbers in the morning: the liver dumps glucose in the bloodstream to help get you going for the day, so your body needs to deal with that already, and adding the toast can be too much.
It can also well be that you're more sensitive to insulin later in the day than in the mornings, so it makes sense the take-away worked out better than the toast.
I use injected insulin, and I need about 3 times as much insulin for the exact same food in the morning than I need in the evening!

Perhaps you can find a breakfast food you like with fewer carbs and have the more carby foods later in the day to see how that works out.

Thanks for the info. Breakfast wise i've been mostly sticking to low carb cereals, Porridge Oats, Weetabix, Special K, Boiled Eggs and Scrambled Eggs. Have some natural yoghurt and fruit so might try those.

Maybe also I need to be a bit more active in the morning, a walk or something before breakfast.

Just been talking to my GP as I was concerned over higher readings during the week, and he has reviewed my test readings and he was saying he was happy with them, even a reading of 11 is a good start considering my HbA1c was 89 almost 1 month ago, so it is still early stages, and I think my expectations of progress were too much.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Most people seem to find the effect of brown bread, brown rice etc is no different from the white varieties. Replace the toast with bacon is a better idea.

Replacing things with Bacon, I like this kind of thinking!

I had actually been avoiding bacon, as I thought it was a bad option. Although I do have maybe a couple of slices grilled once a week and doesn't seem to affect me.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast wise i've been mostly sticking to low carb cereals, Porridge Oats, Weetabix, Special K, Boiled Eggs and Scrambled Eggs.
Apart from the eggs, none of those breakfast foods are low carb.
When shopping, it makes much more sense to turn packages around to see how many carbs are in the food, ignore the traffic light system, it's not made with diabetics in mind!
I had actually been avoiding bacon, as I thought it was a bad option. Although I do have maybe a couple of slices grilled once a week and doesn't seem to affect me.
Bacon is a very fine option!
You might like to read this piece by one of our members: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog/jokalsbeek.401801/
And for food ideas and some friendly chat you might like to have a look at this thread: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-you-eaten-today.75781/page-2275

Reactions: VashtiB and KK123

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
After waking don't test straight away because of dawn phenomenon, do your normal things, like having a shower, then test before your breakfast, eggs and bacon sound good to me. Enjoy it, then fifteen minutes after, go for a walk. This will help with your blood glucose levels. And test after two hours.
It seems to be that you are carb intolerant.
You don't and shouldn't have carbs.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Apart from the eggs, none of those breakfast foods are low carb.
When shopping, it makes much more sense to turn packages around to see how many carbs are in the food, ignore the traffic light system, it's not made with diabetics in mind!

Bacon is a very fine option!
You might like to read this piece by one of our members:
And for food ideas and some friendly chat you might like to have a look at this thread:

Sorry maybe using the wrong words, I didn't mean cereals are low carb, still learning about things.

But they were suggested alternatives to breads, rolls, bacon etc.

Although with those cereals, my level doesn't seem to go high.

This is also where I get confused, some GI info says 1 thing is ok, and then other GI info says the same thing is bad.

Is it possible that the same food can give you a normal reading one day, then high the next.

Also, what is considered to be a high? The info I found said that above 8.5 at 2 hrs after eating is a high for type 2, yet my GP is saying anything below 11 he is ok with for now, as we are just at the start of trying to control it.

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the info. Breakfast wise i've been mostly sticking to low carb cereals, Porridge Oats, Weetabix, Special K

A hard lesson on healthy "one of your 5 a day" cereals.
That Special K is 70% carbs . . . you, a carb intolerant T2, are eating something which is effectively poison to your body.
Honestly you'd be better off eating the cardboard box, or an Easter Egg.

sk.PNG

So, the name of the game is counting carbs not calories.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry maybe using the wrong words, I didn't mean cereals are low carb, still learning about things.

But they were suggested alternatives to breads, rolls, bacon etc.

Although with those cereals, my level doesn't seem to go high.

This is also where I get confused, some GI info says 1 thing is ok, and then other GI info says the same thing is bad.

Is it possible that the same food can give you a normal reading one day, then high the next.

Also, what is considered to be a high? The info I found said that above 8.5 at 2 hrs after eating is a high for type 2, yet my GP is saying anything below 11 he is ok with for now, as we are just at the start of trying to control it.

Hi there, it can be very confusing to begin with can't it? As an example, whether I eat porridge or a slice of bread or a roll or a cream eclair or an apple or a bowl of carrots, they ALL have an amount of carbs in and I would need to administer insulin for them. It makes no odds whether each food is viewed as low GI or healthy or not, the concept of the carbs is the same, carbs = insulin injection. To switch that to your circumstances, those same carbs require an insulin response from your pancreas and if your insulin isn't getting through for whatever reason then your levels (like mine) will rise. The GI factor tends to apply to how quick and for how long a rise may last, the lower the GI the slower the rise. I find though that the rise may be slower but it goes on for longer. That's pretty basic I know but it may help you to understand that it's all about the carbs baby! (Just to add, the medication you were on would work to dampen the rise in principle, ie to help your body to process the carbs as my insulin does but without it, you will see the changes as you have). x

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi there, it can be very confusing to begin with can't it? As an example, whether I eat porridge or a slice of bread or a roll or a cream eclair or an apple or a bowl of carrots, they ALL have an amount of carbs in and I would need to administer insulin for them. It makes no odds whether each food is viewed as low GI or healthy or not, the concept of the carbs is the same, carbs = insulin injection. To switch that to your circumstances, those same carbs require an insulin response from your pancreas and if your insulin isn't getting through for whatever reason then your levels (like mine) will rise. The GI factor tends to apply to how quick and for how long a rise may last, the lower the GI the slower the rise. I find though that the rise may be slower but it goes on for longer. That's pretty basic I know but it may help you to understand that it's all about the carbs baby! (Just to add, the medication you were on would work to dampen the rise in principle, ie to help your body to process the carbs as my insulin does but without it, you will see the changes as you have). x

Yup, learning every day!

I'm also having to lose some weight, as the Dr's seem to think it may be reversible with diet and exercise.

Although, doesn't seem to matter what I eat, short time later and I'm starving!

Had a huge salad for lunch, romaine lettuce, red onion, tomatoes, cucumber, peppers, feta cheese, and a whole roast chicken breast, got 6.5 on the Richter scale 2 hrs later, but still starving!

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yup, learning every day!

I'm also having to lose some weight, as the Dr's seem to think it may be reversible with diet and exercise.

Although, doesn't seem to matter what I eat, short time later and I'm starving!

Had a huge salad for lunch, romaine lettuce, red onion, tomatoes, cucumber, peppers, feta cheese, and a whole roast chicken breast, got 6.5 on the Richter scale 2 hrs later, but still starving!
Learning I lifelong, so dotn knock it.
Try adding some healthy fats to that meal, olive oil or swapping skinless breast for 2 thighs with crispy skin. Or follow it with a couple of spoons of thick creamy plain yoghurt.
It's fats that help us feel full, satiated.
Forget all about calories or GI, just look at carbs
And try to be patient, this has been years in the making and your body will fight changes for a while. Just stick with it

Reactions: SLLH
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Learning I lifelong, so dotn knock it.
Try adding some healthy fats to that meal, olive oil or swapping skinless breast for 2 thighs with crispy skin. Or follow it with a couple of spoons of thick creamy plain yoghurt.
It's fats that help us feel full, satiated.
Forget all about calories or GI, just look at carbs
And try to be patient, this has been years in the making and your body will fight changes for a while. Just stick with it

Thanks! Yeah, think I just need to learn to be patient, I think I had this idea I'd attack this thing with healthiness, reverse it and then go back to how I was.

Its been a **** year and I've only myself to blame. So, if anything this diagnosis is the kick up the #### I needed.

My fiance passed away 30th May last year after a short battle with cancer, and since then I've kind of lost the drive to to look after myself, and lockdown didn't help either, it was kind of a iron clad excuse to stay in, isolate and keep myself away from everything.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Thanks! Yeah, think I just need to learn to be patient, I think I had this idea I'd attack this thing with healthiness, reverse it and then go back to how I was.

Its been a **** year and I've only myself to blame. So, if anything this diagnosis is the kick up the #### I needed.

My fiance passed away 30th May last year after a short battle with cancer, and since then I've kind of lost the drive to to look after myself, and lockdown didn't help either, it was kind of a iron clad excuse to stay in, isolate and keep myself away from everything.
You caused a weepy moment there for me (unintentionally I know) because my mum and my only son both died recently within just months of one another, and my fiance left me. Like you I gave up, and put on 28lbs ... becoming very unhealthy. I am ... just this last week ... trying to get myself back on track, but it's very difficult, so I have opted for Intermittent Fasting for the first time. I don't eat before almost midday, relying solely on drinks. My mood is changing and I feel that fight within me to get back to where I was before all the devastation. If you need someone to talk with I am more than happy to jolly you along :) x

Reactions: EllieM and MrsA2
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
You caused a weepy moment there for me (unintentionally I know) because my mum and my only son both died recently within just months of one another, and my fiance left me. Like you I gave up, and put on 28lbs ... becoming very unhealthy. I am ... just this last week ... trying to get myself back on track, but it's very difficult, so I have opted for Intermittent Fasting for the first time. I don't eat before almost midday, relying solely on drinks. My mood is changing and I feel that fight within me to get back to where I was before all the devastation. If you need someone to talk with I am more than happy to jolly you along :) x

That must have been awful for you. I just had to keep getting up every day and get on with things, even if I didn't want to, but although I did that, I still didn't look after myself properly mentally or physically. I don't think you ever stop grieving the loss of someone, it just gets a wee bit less painful as time goes on.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I'm surprised you were started on Glimepride as that is sued where the beta cells are under performing. In most T2s particularly where there is excess weight the beta cells will be doing their job. Metformin is normally the drug to start with and the SR version is the right solution if bowel issues don't clear quickly. Don't focus on GI as such but the total Carbs per day. GI and Calories are best kept in the background.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
After waking don't test straight away because of dawn phenomenon, do your normal things, like having a shower, then test before your breakfast, eggs and bacon sound good to me. Enjoy it, then fifteen minutes after, go for a walk. This will help with your blood glucose levels. And test after two hours.
It seems to be that you are carb intolerant.
You don't and shouldn't have carbs.

Cheers for the suggestion, so this morning I had 2 slices brown toast with butter (Nothing else in house to eat, ran out of eggs and bacon!) took a 15 min walk before starting work at home, tested 2 hrs after eating, got 8.9 on the meter. And that's without any metformin in the morning, currently I'm only on 500mg 1 x day with eve meal.

Yesterday I was 6.4 after a wholemeal pasta bake I made, washed the car then tested 2 hrs after eating.

After healthy eating for 1 month and a spell of good readings, I lapsed and before yesterday for a few days I was just having ****, drinking coke etc.

So I think the high readings were the impact of making bad choices for a few days. But yesterday was good and today a new day so just going to pick myself up and keep going!

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Cheers for the suggestion, so this morning I had 2 slices brown toast with butter (Nothing else in house to eat, ran out of eggs and bacon!) took a 15 min walk before starting work at home, tested 2 hrs after eating, got 8.9 on the meter. And that's without any metformin in the morning, currently I'm only on 500mg 1 x day with eve meal.

Yesterday I was 6.4 after a wholemeal pasta bake I made, washed the car then tested 2 hrs after eating.

After healthy eating for 1 month and a spell of good readings, I lapsed and before yesterday for a few days I was just having ****, drinking coke etc.

So I think the high readings were the impact of making bad choices for a few days. But yesterday was good and today a new day so just going to pick myself up and keep going!
It's like being two people, isn't it? At the moment with myself the stronger of the two is the one doing all the right things. I weighed myself this morning to find that I've dropped 6lbs in five days so that inspires me to carry on and get to the 'real me' who I once was before all the tragedies in my life. I hope you find the strength to keep on track xx

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi. I'm surprised you were started on Glimepride as that is sued where the beta cells are under performing. In most T2s particularly where there is excess weight the beta cells will be doing their job. Metformin is normally the drug to start with and the SR version is the right solution if bowel issues don't clear quickly. Don't focus on GI as such but the total Carbs per day. GI and Calories are best kept in the background.

My HbA1c was 89 so they said they needed to attack this aggressively, and the hope was for medication not to be a long term solution, and my BS immediately returned to normal levels after a few days, but over a 3 week period, it had a negative effect where on at least 4 occasions BS fell to below 4.0, the lowest being 3.3, I was out and about and just started feeling awful and didn't know what was wrong, but suspected low BS so bought some wine gums and ate them like a starving person! haha. So after that I called GP and they swapped me to Metformin. Currently on the non-SR version, on around day 10 now, and the tummy issues seem to have calmed down.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
It's like being two people, isn't it? At the moment with myself the stronger of the two is the one doing all the right things. I weighed myself this morning to find that I've dropped 6lbs in five days so that inspires me to carry on and get to the 'real me' who I once was before all the tragedies in my life. I hope you find the strength to keep on track xx

That's fantastic! Well done!

I was on Glimipride for 3 weeks, ate strictly healthy, and I put on 2 lbs!

Then I went down 2lbs, then the few days wobble I had, I went back up 2 lbs.

So I have lost.....nothing in like 5 weeks! haha

These horrible things happen, and the reality is, life goes on with or without me, I just have to get up each day and decide if I'm going to do this positive stuff or not. If I decide to do it, I know I'll feel much better, and if I decide not to, usually I don't feel great, it's just a case of trying to remind myself of that every day!