Need help managing blood sugar

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi my advice with cauli rice is either buy it in frozen packs to microwave (Asda Iceland and I think Tesco do it packs of 4 portions) or blitz a fresh cauliflower at home and freeze portions in sealed plastic bags to microwave, I do mine 4 mins. I once bought ready riced cauli from the fresh veg counter and when opened it had a horrible ofputting smell. Btw wholegrain rice or pasta have the same reaction as white versions. A quick look at the info graphics for different groups of food on DietDoctor is really useful and will put carbs in perspective. Best wishes

Reactions: DJC3 and LoriF

LoriF

Hi my advice with cauli rice is either buy it in frozen packs to microwave (Asda Iceland and I think Tesco do it packs of 4 portions) or blitz a fresh cauliflower at home and freeze portions in sealed plastic bags to microwave, I do mine 4 mins. I once bought ready riced cauli from the fresh veg counter and when opened it had a horrible ofputting smell. Btw wholegrain rice or pasta have the same reaction as white versions. A quick look at the info graphics for different groups of food on DietDoctor is really useful and will put carbs in perspective. Best wishes
Thank you I thought I was being. Good having brown rice and wholewheat pasta apparently not .....I was told to eat wholegrain by diabetes nurse at GP. As this was okay....also told that Dawn phenomenon doesn't happen in type 2 though only Type 1 so guess that's not quite right either .....by 17.30 today blood sugar has cone down to 7.4....I am thinking no dinner tonight and see what happens in the morning and if its high again. I think I need to prove this happens to me.....would a small amount of brown rice really have an effect for 24 hours?

LoriF

Double cream in your coffee. Chips, peas, sweetcorn, pitta bad.

Keep a food diary, record your numbers before you eat and 2 hours after the first bite. You should pick up on the foods you can't tolerate.

Its looking like my morning spikes are the problem because of glycogen release rather than the food I am eating as even after food the level continues to come down .....until the next morning when it all starts again. I am leaning towards a few days fasting to try and deplete the glycogen stored as far as possible and get those morning numbers down eep

LoriF

You are exactly right, it's called the dawn phenomenon. It's the last number to come down and is not under your control.

Swap out your rice and try cauliflower rice instead.

It took me 4 weeks to get used to keto. So worth it.
I asked about that at GP with diabetes nurse and was told it only happens to Type 1 not Type 2 ‍♀️ should I be asking if I am Type 1 or is this common for Type 2 ?

danziger

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I asked about that at GP with diabetes nurse and was told it only happens to Type 1 not Type 2 ‍♀️ should I be asking if I am Type 1 or is this common for Type 2 ?

Definitely not just type 1! My DP started when I cut out evening snacks but was too high for my liking to just ride it out. It came down immediately (9.7 to 5.2) when I started having a small piece of cheese at night.

LoriF

Definitely not just type 1! My DP started when I cut out evening snacks but was too high for my liking to just ride it out. It came down immediately (9.7 to 5.2) when I started having a small piece of cheese at night.
If cheese will save me that makes me very happy.....I ha e been avoiding cheese due to high fat and it was always my go to snack before I was told I had diabetes and needed to lose weight.....seems I need to unlearn all that advice on bad food

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
was told it only happens to Type 1 not Type 2 ‍
Ok. Just lost the plot a bit.
If you can possibly change surgery, then do it. If you can't then you need to re-educate yourself. Read the link in my signature that was done by the fabulous Auntie Jo, a member of this forum.

Read The Diabetes Code by Dr Jason Fung. Available on kindle, you can start reading it in 5 minutes. He is also on YouTube if you search. Look out for Dr David Unwin. There are others.

Don't be tricked into being pushed on to taking statins. Only if prescribed by a cardiologist, they can raise glucose.

Read the Success Stories thread.

Don't eat anything low fat. Eat lots of cheese! You can enjoy pizza, lookup Fat Head Dough. Chocolate cake, lookup keto chocolate mug cake, 90 seconds in the nuke machine, serve with double cream.

Anything you fancy, google it, just put keto first.

Stick with us kiddo, we will see you right..........

Reactions: DJC3

LoriF

Ok. Just lost the plot a bit.
If you can possibly change surgery, then do it. If you can't then you need to re-educate yourself. Read the link in my signature that was done by the fabulous Auntie Jo, a member of this forum.

Read The Diabetes Code by Dr Jason Fung. Available on kindle, you can start reading it in 5 minutes. He is also on YouTube if you search. Look out for Dr David Unwin. There are others.

Don't be tricked into being pushed on to taking statins. Only if prescribed by a cardiologist, they can raise glucose.

Read the Success Stories thread.

Don't eat anything low fat. Eat lots of cheese! You can enjoy pizza, lookup Fat Head Dough. Chocolate cake, lookup keto chocolate mug cake, 90 seconds in the nuke machine, serve with double cream.

Anything you fancy, google it, just put keto first.

Stick with us kiddo, we will see you right..........
Change of surgery would be a good idea but a bit stuck at the moment as the "good" doctors locally is oversubscribed. They have tried through several routes to push me statins I refuse as my chol is no higher now at 47 than it was at 18 when I was used as high normal at 5.2 when I worked in the lab. Nothing wrong with my cholesterol its normal for me to be 5.2 I was quite proud of my staying the same for nearly 30 years i have had better advice here than at doctors with the added bonus that I havent been asked once about my relationship with God ....result!! Thank you all

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Read around the forums, ask questions. Don't follow "advice" blindly, including mine!
Everyone is different, that makes it harder to get things right. You will get a handle on things surprisingly quickly, it may seem overwhelming at first, but hang in there. That's what we are here for......

Reactions: LoriF

LoriF

I feel like I am obsessively measuring BS at the moment after exercise, after meals before meals in the morning through the day .....seems my body is very good at producing glucose from nowhere....went up after exercise when I thought I would use it up ....**** super efficient liver its bound to run out eventually....coukd just be higher concentration though due to water loss.....this diabetes will not win.....8.2 is not good but its a start I guess.....let's see what low are food brings......tuna Nicoise without the potatoes and vinaigrette that can't do any harm

Reactions: DJC3

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was absolutely anal when I started. It paid off. When you figure out that Bacon and eggs doesn't raise your bg there is no point in testing.

Reactions: LoriF

LoriF

I was absolutely anal when I started. It paid off. When you figure out that Bacon and eggs doesn't raise your bg there is no point in testing.
I am liking your thinking i was told not to eat bacon .....it may have to make an appearance again ....bacon cheese double cream ....it sounds like a heart attack on a plate....but if that's what will kill this diabetes who am I to argue

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs

While I agree with you (mostly) I should point out (happy to be corrected) that it's not the low fats per se that is the issue, it's the fact that food manufacturers tend to make foods low fat by replacing the fat with carbs, so low fat often accompanies high carb. Lettuces and cauliflowers are both low fat, delicious and low carb as well.:)

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you I thought I was being. Good having brown rice and wholewheat pasta apparently not .....I was told to eat wholegrain by diabetes nurse at GP. As this was okay....also told that Dawn phenomenon doesn't happen in type 2 though only Type 1 so guess that's not quite right either .....by 17.30 today blood sugar has cone down to 7.4....I am thinking no dinner tonight and see what happens in the morning and if its high again. I think I need to prove this happens to me.....would a small amount of brown rice really have an effect for 24 hours?
Oh dear - what nonsense.
You might see better levels if you avoid the high carb foods you were told were OK - I certainly do.
Dawn phenomenon is just as relevant for type twos as type ones.
Starving is more likely to have your liver releasing glucose than if you were to eat a low carb meal.
Do have a look around the forum to see what people have found really makes a difference to them - you seem to have been given a lot of rather bad advice. It is commonly held beliefs which are doing people harm - when checked and proper comparisons are made, things unravel very quickly.

LoriF

Oh dear - what nonsense.
You might see better levels if you avoid the high carb foods you were told were OK - I certainly do.
Dawn phenomenon is just as relevant for type twos as type ones.
Starving is more likely to have your liver releasing glucose than if you were to eat a low carb meal.
Do have a look around the forum to see what people have found really makes a difference to them - you seem to have been given a lot of rather bad advice. It is commonly held beliefs which are doing people harm - when checked and proper comparisons are made, things unravel very quickly.
I ate dinner...tuna steak with boiked eggs green beans and salad leaves....that has to be low carb. I am also exercising daily now....just walks but making sure I get 10k steps in. You are right I have been given sone pretty bad advice from GP.....its all been focused on rapid weight loss and not suitable diet that works. I have been frugal with my test strips until now as they are quite pricy but worth spend. Its good to hear from you guys how you manage your diabetes as I have been struggling for a long time. Reading here I dodbt know about false hypos.....I have experienced these and my vision goes as if I have batman style pow signs surrounding my vision and I get clammy at 7-8 i guess these will reduce over time until I can get sugar low enough.....my body just be so used to really high levels ‍♀️

LoriF

11.3 this morning why won't it come down ....stupid liver no carbs and did exercise ate a protein snack at bedtime and it still won't budge

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
11.3 this morning why won't it come down ....stupid liver no carbs and did exercise ate a protein snack at bedtime and it still won't budge
Keep going Lori…DP can be stubborn…mine is still higher than it should be after three years of this. The most important thing is controlling the rise in BG after eating and avoiding big spikes. I dont think skipping meals is a great idea though some on here do intermittent fasting but as you are still learning about what you can eat it might be best to stick with that for a while. It took me months to tweak meals to not get a rise of more than 2 but generally if you choose a protein and add in above ground veg you should be fine. Keep notes and you will soon have a bank of suitable meals and as you learn you can consider introducing spices herbs etc. There are various “what have you eaten today” threads on the forum that you might find interesting. Best wishes.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are eating low carb and do not see your numbers going done - that is your blood glucose numbers, not the weight, they you might well be something more interesting than an ordinary type two - but you do need to be eating low carb foods and not adding in small amounts of high carbs, as it just throws a spanner in the works.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As regards fats, healthy fats keep you satiated for longer. The less processed the better for a T2.

Ignore your morning readings for now. Concentrate on your readings before and 2 hours after the first bite. You want a rise of no more than 2.

I made lots of mistakes when I first started.

optimist1

I found my fasting numbers were the last ones to come right. My afternoon numbers were the first to come good. The PCOS may also be the insulin resistance with the T2. There are several associated issues. Often called metabolic syndrome.

Diet doctor website has already been mentioned and is good. I found with google, everything is available for free on the net.
I wouldn't get upset with my morning numbers for now. They will be high. I would focus on reducing the carbs more. You have a BG meter and that could be your bible. It will tell you what meals are working for you. I would test before, then 1 hour, 2 hour and 3 hour. I would want less than a 2 point rise at 2 hours and falling back near my premeal number by 3 hours. Then I would add that meal to my approved list. It is time consuming for the first couple of weeks.
This my help.
https://www.bloodsugar101.com/how-to-lower-your-blood-sugar

You could also use a menu plan to get an idea. This one is 20g of carb a day
https://sa.atkins.com/static/default/files/documents/pdf/mealplan/Atkins - Meal Plan_Week_onePhase one.pdf

This has a good food list and advice on keto. With the protein calculator. I would just guess at about 75g of protein a day for a female for now. Cronometer is a good carb, protein, fat, food counting, free program.
https://www.ketogenic-diet-resource.com/support-files/kd-basics.pdf