Keto and Constipation

Onlinecaroline

TMI to follow!

I’ve been doing Keto since the 4th of Jan after diagnosis of type 2. All has been great, lots of precious problems have cleared up but this week I’ve had terrible constipation. This is something I never suffered before at all! It’s not that I’m not going but when I do go I have to strain so much and it’s caused bleeding (previous pile). I’ve tried Dulcolax and it hasn’t helped at all. Just wondering if anyone had any other suggestions or any supplements that could be taken longer term to stop this.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you drinking enough water and getting enough salt?

A magnesium supplement might also be helpful.

Reactions: Onlinecaroline

elleyouer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I take 2 sachets of Fybogel a day and it keeps me regular

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Apart from extra water, plus a little salt on your food if you aren't eating junk/processed food now I find eating extra green veg helped. I also have chia seeds, either sprinkled in yogurt or mixed with milled flaxseed as a substitute for porridge. Chia seeds absorb a lot of liquid so help produce softer stools, flaxseed is mainly fibre.

Reactions: danziger and LaoDan

andre53

Ketogenic diets evolved along the decades by showing results by practice but, most of all, also by science.

There are professionals, and, more than this whole organizations, that are making money with type 2 diabetes ketogenic therapy.

Hundreds of articles, systematic reviews, metanalyses, ..., lots of stuff related.

A stupdy, simple, cheap, 30-day random control trial with: 1) zero supplement keto group #1; 2) magnesium supplement group #2; 3) guar fiber supplement group #3; and i) people with no constipation under wertern diet...

How difficult is to do such experiment? We see Virta Health making money, we see Zoe Hardbomb talking more than 30 minutes and making jokes about beans, but no showing any evidence, we see Dr Ken Berry talking about an ancient experiment with western diet (and people with previous constipation), BUT... we just can't see any simple and miserable experiment!

Everything we can find is: individual opinions, magnesium supplementation, water, and salt. People feel ashamed to come back and say "it did not work for me".

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
I've never been fully Keto - just Low Carb (20gm to 40gm carbs per day). Whenever I've had constipation a little olive oil has worked for me.

Reactions: andre53

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I haven't found green leafy veg to raise my blood sugars much if at all- could you work some kale or broccoli or sauerkraut into your diet? That might help.

Reactions: andre53

andre53

I've never been fully Keto - just Low Carb (20gm to 40gm carbs per day). Whenever I've had constipation a little olive oil has worked for me.

I was obsessed by a new concept called P:E leverage and, for my surprise, 6 grams (a miserable half spoon) of extra virgin olive oil per meal is solving my issue. A happy coincidence I found your tip here because it was the exact counter-measure that fixed my constipation.

I haven't found green leafy veg to raise my blood sugars much if at all- could you work some kale or broccoli or sauerkraut into your diet? That might help.

Yes, together with olive oil I raised my veggies.

Living in peace now... lol.

Thank you.