searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
As I understand it, it takes effect most quickly by injecting in your stomach, the next quickest place is your arm ( the back of your upper arm, the flabby bit!), then thigh then bottom. As you are mainly just on slow acting at the moment I wouldn’t have thought it matters if you inject elsewhere. As I understand it slow acting takes about 4 hours to kick in anyway.

If you’ve been on insulin many years and only rotated around the belly the area can become less effective and it’s worth trying other areas

Pretty much any fatty/flabby area can be used.. but different areas absorb differently arms if not overly fat can absorb faster than the belly/bottom

But you do need to move around the belly not always use the same spot or it will become fatty/lumpy and less effective…. At one point the dsn’s were giving out the injection ‘clock’ A card with holes in it going around the belly and should only use one hole then move onto another and use all before going back to the first

Reactions: Millie74

Hertfordshiremum

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
If you’ve been on insulin many years and only rotated around the belly the area can become less effective and it’s worth trying other areas

Pretty much any fatty/flabby area can be used.. but different areas absorb differently arms if not overly fat can absorb faster than the belly/bottom

But you do need to move around the belly not always use the same spot or it will become fatty/lumpy and less effective…. At one point the dsn’s were giving out the injection ‘clock’ A card with holes in it going around the belly and should only use one hole then move onto another and use all before going back to the first
That’s interesting, I get terrible bruising after injecting, I try and avoid the bruises but sometimes it’s difficult. Do you know if they effect insulin absorption?

Millie74

Millie74

The clock card sounds useful. I have felt bloated since injecting in stomach and being on Lantus, but the DN said it is not related to injecting insulin in the stomach?

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
The clock card sounds useful. I have felt bloated since injecting in stomach and being on Lantus, but the DN said it is not related to injecting insulin in the stomach?

Not it wouldn’t be.. you only going into the layer of fat beneath the skin.. so ant bloatedness is internal

What I’m on about is small fatty lumps can form under the skin that make insulin less effective

gardener612

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed with LADA in November 2019 after ssking for GAD antibody test and c peptide. GAD 1700. C peptide 600. I had a telephone consultation with consultant May 2020 because of the pandemic. She said it was ok to carry on low carbing as had got my hba1c down to 48mmol. She said have 50g carbs minimum or may go into DKA. I haven’t had a consultation since, so called the number she gave me for the hospital diabetic nurse incase numbers shot up. I told her my fasting is generally 8 now. They know my last hba1c was 50, but nurse said I’m masking it with low carb and gave me an appointment to see them about insulin on Friday. They said it’s an autoimmune disease, which of course I understand. Not keen to go on insulin. I teach Dance. Worry about hypos etc. Any thoughts please? Up in middle of night worrying. I called them as it’s been a year since first consultation in phone since LADA diagnosis and was worried not being monitored for insulin, as was told would be. I kind of regret calling now. Not sure if that’s silly though. Want to do right thing for health.

Hi Millie! The exact thing happened to me. Seems that if you're not a child, the medical profession has a hard time believing that you're in the Type 1 category. It took me 5 years to get a correct diagnosis and, like you, I had to research and then ask for the GAD65 antibody test, which confirmed suspicions. From what I've read and also my personal experience, you can "coast" with LADA for about 5 years before needing insulin. Like others have written here before me, you'll most likely start on long-acting insulin (like Levemir) before you begin to require the fast-acting type (Novolog or Humalog). I've read that starting the long-acting sooner can actually prolong your natural insulin production, obviating the need for fast-acting insulin for a longer period of time. Regarding exercise, I'm a fiend in that department. Eventually, you'll figure out where your numbers have to be before starting activity and how much insulin you need or don't need. It's a little tricky but not insurmountable.

Reactions: KK123

Kaydee59

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed as having Type 2 about 10 years ago - I actually have Type 3C which was caused by 2 slow growing tumours in my pancreas which basically killed off most of the pancreas. I have since had my pancreas and spleen removed and am on basal insulin which I take at night and rapid acting insulin with lunch and dinner. I got Freestyle Libre 2 about 2 months ago from the Specualist Diabetic Centre I now attend, but GP’s had to approve it as they now supply it. NHS guidelines say that if you have to test more than 8 times a day, you are a candidate for getting it on prescription. My 2nd sensor was a nightmare and I was being woken with apparent hypos but when checking by finger prick, my readings were okay. I contacted Abbott and gave them 3 readings of sensor and finger pricks and was told to change sensor and they sent a replacement one out.

Millie74

Hi Millie! The exact thing happened to me. Seems that if you're not a child, the medical profession has a hard time believing that you're in the Type 1 category. It took me 5 years to get a correct diagnosis and, like you, I had to research and then ask for the GAD65 antibody test, which confirmed suspicions. From what I've read and also my personal experience, you can "coast" with LADA for about 5 years before needing insulin. Like others have written here before me, you'll most likely start on long-acting insulin (like Levemir) before you begin to require the fast-acting type (Novolog or Humalog). I've read that starting the long-acting sooner can actually prolong your natural insulin production, obviating the need for fast-acting insulin for a longer period of time. Regarding exercise, I'm a fiend in that department. Eventually, you'll figure out where your numbers have to be before starting activity and how much insulin you need or don't need. It's a little tricky but not insurmountable.

Millie74

Thanks. Not been in here for a while. I am on 8 units of Lantus before bed and roughly 1 unit of Novarapid per 10g carbs. It has been a steep learning curve. I have treats, but hate the roller coasters that can follow. Love the CGM, but gives me anxiety with high and low alarms. It’s hard to adjust to insulin. I still find low carbing easier for a more predictable day of blood sugars.

Weejimmy

I was diagnosed with LADA in November 2019 after ssking for GAD antibody test and c peptide. GAD 1700. C peptide 600. I had a telephone consultation with consultant May 2020 because of the pandemic. She said it was ok to carry on low carbing as had got my hba1c down to 48mmol. She said have 50g carbs minimum or may go into DKA. I haven’t had a consultation since, so called the number she gave me for the hospital diabetic nurse incase numbers shot up. I told her my fasting is generally 8 now. They know my last hba1c was 50, but nurse said I’m masking it with low carb and gave me an appointment to see them about insulin on Friday. They said it’s an autoimmune disease, which of course I understand. Not keen to go on insulin. I teach Dance. Worry about hypos etc. Any thoughts please? Up in middle of night worrying. I called them as it’s been a year since first consultation in phone since LADA diagnosis and was worried not being monitored for insulin, as was told would be. I kind of regret calling now. Not sure if that’s silly though. Want to do right thing for health.

Hello I'm a brand new lada, I was diagnosed over 5 years ago and of course it was the misdiagnosis of T2, I have readings similar to you and I have requested that I do not go on insulin until my pancreas is no longer producing enough beta cells. Mind you I have brought my bmi down to 21 and wiil take it further to 18, I think for me the advice to take insulin and eat all you want was giving to me by a bampot. I'm a pensioner in Glasgow and like you I have had an active life and insulin for me at this time would be counter productive. But then apparently we will become insulin dependent.

Last edited by a moderator:

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Hello I'm a brand new lada, I was diagnosed over 5 years ago and of course it was the misdiagnosis of T2, I have readings similar to you and I have requested that I do not go on insulin until my pancreas is no longer producing enough beta cells. Mind you I have brought my bmi down to 21 and wiil take it further to 18, I think for me the advice to take insulin and eat all you want was giving to me by a bampot. I'm a pensioner in Glasgow and like you I have had an active life and insulin for me at this time would be counter productive. But then apparently we will become insulin dependent.
A BMI of 18 would be underweight. Starving yourself to avoid having to take insulin would be counterproductive. Don't worry, I can give this advice as I have the t-shirt - I tried this for 2 years until my BMI was 19. Ask about starting on a low dose of long-acting insulin in the first instance. I wish someone had given me that advice when I was first diagnosed.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hello I'm a brand new lada,

HI @Weejimmy I've just taken the liberty of merging the post you quoted with your reply (see the post above @ert 's) When replying to a post, it's much easier for others to read if you write the reply in the same post as the piece you are posting.

And @Millie74, you're doing the same thing (it's a common thing for newish members to do) I thought I'd point this out to you too, though I realise your posts are quite old.

Anyway, hopefully my explanation makes sense, and if it doesn't don't worry, we'll still understand your posts the way you are doing them now.

Diabetical17

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is it £40 a month? Thank you. Will try to be strong about wanting to carry ob low carbing. I just tested after porridge. 25g of carbs. Got 16.5. Not good.
Hi,
Just a quick one concerning porridge. You need to make sure you are having Jumbo Oats or steel cut oats to make your porridge. The instant ones have had the outer husk removed so they cook quicker but they raise blood sugars very quickly too. I started having Mornflake Scottish Jumbo Oats just over 6 months ago after refraining from porridge for years and 40g of oats doesn’t raise my blood sugars too high and keeps me stable til lunchtime.

Millie74

Hi,
Just a quick one concerning porridge. You need to make sure you are having Jumbo Oats or steel cut oats to make your porridge. The instant ones have had the outer husk removed so they cook quicker but they raise blood sugars very quickly too. I started having Mornflake Scottish Jumbo Oats just over 6 months ago after refraining from porridge for years and 40g of oats doesn’t raise my blood sugars too high and keeps me stable til lunchtime.