Cooking???

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
Before I go on could I just point out this is a good natured contribution …

Why are people obsessed by cooking and recipes.
Theres books and tv shows all over the place and its all people want to talk about.....

I hate cooking and I only do it if I have to which is about once a week.
The rest of the time my wife does it and she is amazing.

I can cook and could do a very acceptable sunday roast but I loathe the very idea of it.

Tony

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do you like eating ? Do you just eat to keep living ? If you were on your own would you cook, starve or eat take away or pup grub ? :)
Carol

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
I don't see this as a good natured contribution. People share recipes as encouragement, inspiration and a source of information for those who are trying to change their eating patterns. Not everyone is fortunate enough to have a spouse who is a competent and caring cook and I really don't see the point of this post.

Reactions: Debmcgee

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don’t love cooking but I do love food, and I like cooking shows on telly because I am interested in the different ways food can become even tastier. Or ruined. According to your personal taste (fruit and other sweet things mixed with savoury food, bleurgh!)

I cook every day now, diabetes and low-carb eating demand it really as there is very little ready-made stuff that works, but it’s mostly chuck some protein and veg into the air fryer, wait, and eat. Every now and then I rustle up a one pot wonder such as a bolognese sauce, curry, stew or whatever. Sometimes I settle into the making process with some good music and quite enjoy it. And I end up with 7 or 8 portions of something delicious for the freezer so its an efficient use of my time even if I’m not in the mood. Similarly, I bake fairly frequently when I need cake or some biscotti, these cannot be bought so it’s make it myself or do without.

I cannot contemplate the rest of my life without cake…. :cat:

Reactions: Tony337

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
Do you like eating ? Do you just eat to keep living ? If you were on your own would you cook, starve or eat take away or pup grub ? :)
Carol
I love eating and as my wife is a perfect cook and as I suffer from coeliacs and diabetes I don't eat out very often as all the food is sub standard to my wifes.
If I was on my own I would just eat less. lol

Tony

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
I don't see this as a good natured contribution. People share recipes as encouragement, inspiration and a source of information for those who are trying to change their eating patterns. Not everyone is fortunate enough to have a spouse who is a competent and caring cook and I really don't see the point of this post.

Its good natured because its about me and no-one else.
I pointed this out because I genuinely didn't want to offend anyone.
I don't mind brewing up and i'm at my desk now eating a few grapes to keep my levels level.
My wife works at our local co-op so food appears in the fridge as if by magic.

Tony

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
I don’t love cooking but I do love food, and I like cooking shows on telly because I am interested in the different ways food can become even tastier. Or ruined. According to your personal taste (fruit and other sweet things mixed with savoury food, bleurgh!)

I cook every day now, diabetes and low-carb eating demand it really as there is very little ready-made stuff that works, but it’s mostly chuck some protein and veg into the air fryer, wait, and eat. Every now and then I rustle up a one pot wonder such as a bolognese sauce, curry, stew or whatever. Sometimes I settle into the making process with some good music and quite enjoy it. And I end up with 7 or 8 portions of something delicious for the freezer so its an efficient use of my time even if I’m not in the mood. Similarly, I bake fairly frequently when I need cake or some biscotti, these cannot be bought so it’s make it myself or do without.

I cannot contemplate the rest of my life without cake…. :cat:

I might have had a piece of cake this year but i'm not certain lol.

My neighbour makes his own but has stopped offering any to me as I always decline his kind offer.

Tony

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Something that annoys me is when people say they can't cook. Unless they have some disability, everyone can cook. Can't be bothered is a different thing. Obviously patisserie or haute cuisine requires years of training and talent but preparing everyday food should be in everyone's grasp, just follow a recipe. I think perhaps popular programmes like Master Chef put people off cooking by making everything fancy and using unusual ingredients and set the bar too high. YouTube is probably a better source for the basic stuff.

Reactions: Tony337

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
Something that annoys me is when people say they can't cook. Unless they have some disability, everyone can cook. Can't be bothered is a different thing. Obviously patisserie or haute cuisine requires years of training and talent but preparing everyday food should be in everyone's grasp, just follow a recipe. I think perhaps popular programmes like Master Chef put people off cooking by making everything fancy and using unusual ingredients and set the bar too high. YouTube is probably a better source for the basic stuff.

Oh I agree and I can but I just loathe doing it...lol

Tony

Reactions: EllieM

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am not obsessed by cooking, cookery books or cooking shows on the telly but I get bored with eating the same thing each week so I frequently look for new recipes to try something new.
I like to eat fresh ingredients and not stodgy pre-prepare pared meals.

I have a veg box delivered every week. This gives me fresh in season vegetarian that have travelled minimum distance and gives me inspiration for trying something new with minimal waste (no plastic packaging, return the boxes, no concern for how the veg looks and eat stalks, and leaves and skin).

I have no wife to do the cooking for me. Incidentally, my Mum is a great cook but as she closes in on 80 years, she has admitted she is fed up with cooking every day and it’s time for my Dad to do his share in the kitchen. So don’t take your wife for granted.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We do not purchase recipes books, but we have a shed load of recipes on a old Samsung Galaxy tablet that we have gathered over the years. Sometimes we look through them for something different to eat.

Our kids learnt to cook while living at home, nothing flash just the basics as was I taught when I was younger.

I cook occasionally at home, but do prefer my partners cooking though. :D

Reactions: EllieM

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I like cooking :)
I did an NVQ in Professional Cookery, I watch some cooking programmes, follow cooks and chefs and bakers and all sorts of people on instagram and the only magazines I read are cookery ones. I don't buy cookery books any more as I never use them, I read them but I always look for recipes online rather than in a book.
My husband thinks watching cookery programmes is similar to watching somebody paint a wall and watching it dry.
Different people like different things, I personally can't stand football and it seems people talk about that an awful lot and assume other people are interested in it.
I don't need to play football but I do need to eat and would rather eat something I like and enjoy :)

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I always get a smile when I am reading some ancient text and come across a character setting out his camp and cooking up dinner whilst travelling to do something perilous or heroic. They even admit to them getting a bit misty eyed having made themselves a dish which reminds them of home.
I suspect that the interest in cooking started with holidays abroad and people wanting to reproduce the meals they ate then when back in what must have seemed a rather dull and colourless homeland.

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
I have no wife to do the cooking for me. Incidentally, my Mum is a great cook but as she closes in on 80 years, she has admitted she is fed up with cooking every day and it’s time for my Dad to do his share in the kitchen. So don’t take your wife for granted.[/QUOTE]

Goodness me I don't take my wife for granted at all...we have been together for 25 years.
Because of work and life we have one main meal per day together and she cooks it the rest of the time I graze on bits of healthiness.....it works for us both.

I do wonder if its because i'm in my fifties type 1 for 47 years coeliac sufferer and very easily pleased in all departments of life that has made me realise cooking is dreary and I've had to spend too long thinking about food ……
I never think.....
This meal is dull
This meal could be better
I could cook this better or have added this that or the other.
I fancy something different.

Heaven forbid if I was left alone I would eat a lot more soups as they are disgusting healthy and I don't need a recipe...
Salad too which I grow my own and again you don't need a recipe.

Something to do with cooking has passed me by and do feel all the better for it....lol

Just a gentle and polite reminder I don't want to offend anyone with my observations its just the way I am

Tony

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
We do not purchase recipes books, but we have a shed load of recipes on a old Samsung Galaxy tablet that we have gathered over the years. Sometimes we look through them for something different to eat.

Our kids learnt to cook while living at home, nothing flash just the basics as was I taught when I was younger.

I cook occasionally at home, but do prefer my partners cooking though. :D

Yes my mum taught me the basics way back when and I grow my own salad stuff (which doesn't need cooking)
and can do a roast dinner (but don't) I never throw anything away as I stick it in a pan and make a soup and that's not cooking as I don't need to think about it.

Tony

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....

Its not that I can't be bothered I just don't like cooking and therefore don't enjoy eating anything I've made.
I'm irritated through the whole process and its not the food lol.

The exception being I made a few roasts a year or two back as my father in law was seriously ill and made tea for my wife and her mother.
I felt ok doing this as I was doing the right thing whilst they were at the hospital.

Nearly forgot that one.

Tony

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I absolutely hate cooking! I never cook for myself just my adult children that still live at home. If I could afford I’d live off take away.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Some people might not trust restaurants/malls/fast-foods with what food they are selling or might think it is not very healthy so they decide to prepare their food the themselves. And others might simply love to cook and/or want to improve their cooking skills. I do not cook often, but when I do I know exactly what's in my meal and that I am 100% safe to eat it as long as the ingredients are fresh.

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
I have just had an apple on top of a few grapes I have grazed on to keep me level …
My beloved has just texted me to say I am on steak chips 2 runny eggs and some mushrooms for tea!

Marvellous

Have a top weekend everyone....

Tony

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Before I go on could I just point out this is a good natured contribution …

The rest of the time my wife does it and she is amazing.

Tony

So you like eating as long as 'the wife' does all the cooking for you, but her interest in cooking is a waste of time/boring?
I can only hope that you are deliberately trying to wind us up.