What's the worst I can eat?

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As part of my battle with my surgery to get my diabetes recognised, I'm currently using a Libre2.
What is the worst thing/meal that I could eat to show a high and persistent rise in BG?
I only want to do it once, and nothing too addictive. I will be strict low carb before and after.
Well, that's the plan. Will it work? What food would guarantee the rise I need?

Lakeslover

I’m no expert as I avoid these things. But how about two slices of toast and jam, or porridge……or even both!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
As part of my battle with my surgery to get my diabetes recognised, I'm currently using a Libre2.
What is the worst thing/meal that I could eat to show a high and persistent rise in BG?
I only want to do it once, and nothing too addictive. I will be strict low carb before and after.
If you want to show, I'd choose to eat what is recommended, so follow the eatwell plate and go a bit on the heavy side on the carbs. Choose something you don't particularly like to prevent addictive effects.

If you want more proof, what about a sweet and fatty cake the next day? A non diabetic would be able to deal with this without going over 11 max, and going close to 11 would be suspect.

I wouldn't use something sugary without fats: they tend to spike quick but can drop quick as well.

Reactions: SaskiaKC and EllieM

Dandelade

Well don’t leave us hanging like that’s mrsa2! What’s your plan for the data? A baseline to compare later tests with the same meal? A general test for insulin resistance? I’m intrigued!

ps worst bg meal I had before low carbs and ditched eat well was a risotto...

Dandelade

Well don’t leave us hanging like that’s mrsa2! What’s your plan for the data? A baseline to compare later tests with the same meal? A general test for insulin resistance? I’m intrigued!

ps worst bg meal I had before low carbs and ditched eat well was a risotto...
Gah sorry I’ve just read the start of your post again and have seen your plan! I’d be really interested to see what happens with your surgery - I think we’ve chatted before about being in a similar boat...

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Thick crust pizza, or Lasagna. I’ve never actually tested those, but I could imagine the combination of fat and carbs would be pretty bad

Reactions: MrsA2

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
994BC6B1-6340-4604-8DFB-A3EAC7E51E92.jpeg

how about half a packet of digestives, for yummy scientific reasons

I wasn’t experimenting, I literally couldn’t stop lol

Attachments

• 31832E73-6266-44BE-AA39-3EAAEDBFFE8D.jpeg
    31832E73-6266-44BE-AA39-3EAAEDBFFE8D.jpeg
    12.7 KB · Views: 120
Reactions: SuNuman and MrsA2

chrisjohnh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m no expert as I avoid these things. But how about two slices of toast and jam, or porridge……or even both!
Hummm ... when I have tested 2 hours after eating 2 slices of toast with marmalade my value has *dropped* on average by 0.8 mmol/l, whilst on testing 2 hours after 40g of porridge plus 35g of prunes it has *dropped* on average by 1.3 mmol/l. Admittedly the tests were all done at breakfast time, which may be relevant. Anyway, clearly proves that loads of high-GI carbs really improves blood glucose for T2s, like the NHS has been telling us ! Whoa there, just joking !

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
how about half a packet of digestives, for yummy scientific reasons

I wasn’t experimenting, I literally couldn’t stop lol

I did similar last Christmas, wife bought a tin of USA biscuits & I ate half the top tray washed down with a glass of milk.
Then I got the rush of guilt, took out the meter at 1 hour, got a 6 something & nearly died of shock.
Not retesting that one, nope.

We all blowout now & again, it's human

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thats a long way to travel to get them though and I may not be able to stop at half a packet:)
I was tempted to add them to our Woolies online shopping list, but discretion is the better part of valour. :D

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've found that you get 'sprint' spikers, like rice or juice, that take you high but go down quite quickly, and 'long' spikers, like pizza and potato that take you to the start of double figures, but stay there for hours. If I were to test how badly I could spike myself, I'd probably have a big bowl of instant mash or tomato macaroni, brown bread and Fanta.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi MrsA2, now that's a difficult one isn't it! I'm not sure that after following a low carb strategy for a while like you have will necessarily result in a rise from a one off high carb meal. You may find that any insulin resistance you may have previously had nearer to diagnosis has improved or even gone, meaning you could eat that high carb meal and find your levels do not rise or even end up lower. If that happened, your team would use it as evidence that you are not diabetic. It's a real dilemma actually because many people rush to go very low carb in the days following a diagnosis and then (artificially if you like) lower their numbers and get told 'You're fine, you are not diabetic'. I don't really know the answer other than to up your carbs significantly over a longer period than 'one meal' but of course I'm guessing you don't want to do that.

I think they might view you as 'glucose impaired' if anything at this stage but that won't get you your type 2 diagnosis back of course. Interesting post though, you don't often get someone battling to get their diagnosis back. I wonder how many people are out there in similar circumstances, knowing they have diabetes but managing it so well that they end up getting chucked off the register and left to fend for themselves when it comes to monitoring, foot checks, eye tests etc. Good luck though and please let us know the results of your experiment. For me, a big old carb ridden pizza sends me up and keeps me up the longest, or a curry with rice & Naan bread. x

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Christmas pudding. Might kill you, but you'll get that rise.