Freestyle libre sensors falling off

smithyg17

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been using the freestyle libre since January 2019.
The sensors were great and most of them lasted the full 2 weeks on my arm.

I was upgraded to the libre 2 in March this year and since then, the sensors have been a nightmare.

I haven’t had a single sensor stay on my arm for the full 2 weeks since March.
Majority of them are only lasting 4 days.
My last sensor only lasted 1 day!

I haven’t changed my routine at all, I still do the same a activities yet the sensors seem to be getting worst.
I know you can contact Abbot and get replacements sent out and I’ve done that numerous times but I’m getting fed up having to constantly change my sensors and order new ones.

I noticed that when I go for a shower, the sensors start to peel off.
I have bought some Kinesiology tape of eBay however I feel after about 3 showers, the tape starts to come off and then the sensors falls off after this.

Can anyone recommend anything different to keep the sensor on?
Or has anyone got any tips on how to keep the sensors on?

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My Libre 2 sensors are also like limpets and are at least as sticky as Libre 1.
If you are having problems with the Kinesiology tape, it suggests the problem is not with the sensors.
Have you considered using the 3d printed straps to hold your sensors in place? I don't need them but have heard they are useful. There are a number available from eBay.

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm having trouble with the libre 2s as well, but thankfully haven't lost one yet. The libre 1s still so sticky after the 14 days, I'm sure they used to take a layer of skin off with them, but the libre 2s start getting flappy around the edges a couple of days in :nailbiting:
I use kinesiology tape but find that works at keeping them on, so I'd be inclined to agree that it may not be the sensors. Have you tried replacing the tape when it starts losing it's stickiness? I also agree that the sensor straps may be worth a try, they're less than a tenner so not too expensive.

Reactions: smithyg17

Lakeslover

I use tegaderm over mine to keep it on and make it more waterproof. That usually lasts the two weeks although I sometimes have to use a second tegaderm in the second week if ive been doing loads of swimming. I did lose one sensor in the very hot weather which came off 4 days early.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I was upgraded to the libre 2 in March this year and since then, the sensors have been a nightmare.

I haven’t changed my routine at all, I still do the same a activities yet the sensors seem to be getting worst.
I know you can contact Abbot and get replacements sent out and I’ve done that numerous times but I’m getting fed up having to constantly change my sensors and order new ones.

I have bought some Kinesiology tape of eBay however I feel after about 3 showers, the tape starts to come off and then the sensors falls off after this.

Have you chenged bathing products or deodorant recently?
I have to admit. I don't use a deodorant when I first fit.
I also exfoliate the site to be fitted whilst bathing & also use an alcohol wipe & allow to dry.
The alcohol wipes are no longer in the Abbott boxes so I invest in my own these days.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I use tegaderm also this last time the tegaderm lasted until 3 hours before the sensor was due to end when it came off and so did the sensor I won't quibble over 3 hours.

smithyg17

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you chenged bathing products or deodorant recently?
I have to admit. I don't use a deodorant when I first fit.
I also exfoliate the site to be fitted whilst bathing & also use an alcohol wipe & allow to dry.
The alcohol wipes are no longer in the Abbott boxes so I invest in my own these days.

Nope. I’ve always used the same shower gel and deodorant.
Yeah I noticed that, that changed about a month after getting the libre 2 and didn’t make much of a difference. I was told by abbot that I could use a perfume free wet wipe on my arm and that should work just the same but still doesn’t help :(

smithyg17

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How strange. My Libre 2 sensors stick 'like glue' and I have to lever them off. It must be different skin types. I assume you use an alcohol wipe and shave any hair where the sensor goes?

The original libre sensors used to be like this with me. I used to struggle to get them off!
I haven’t been using an alcohol wipe since they stopped supplying them but have used a wet wipe instead. I’ve never had to shave my arm before so haven’t thought of the need to start now.

smithyg17

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My Libre 2 sensors are also like limpets and are at least as sticky as Libre 1.
If you are having problems with the Kinesiology tape, it suggests the problem is not with the sensors.
Have you considered using the 3d printed straps to hold your sensors in place? I don't need them but have heard they are useful. There are a number available from eBay.

Think I have seen them. Might give them a try. Thanks :)

smithyg17

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm having trouble with the libre 2s as well, but thankfully haven't lost one yet. The libre 1s still so sticky after the 14 days, I'm sure they used to take a layer of skin off with them, but the libre 2s start getting flappy around the edges a couple of days in :nailbiting:
I use kinesiology tape but find that works at keeping them on, so I'd be inclined to agree that it may not be the sensors. Have you tried replacing the tape when it starts losing it's stickiness? I also agree that the sensor straps may be worth a try, they're less than a tenner so not too expensive.

The kinesiology tape does work to a certain extent. I feel after a few days, the edges start to loose it’s stickiness and often when I go to change the tape, the sensor has also start to loose the stickiness and I end up just making the sensor worst by trying to replace the tape. For that reason, I have stopped using the tape.

What I don’t understand is why has the sensors went from staying on for a full 14 days with no problem to all of a sudden not being very sticky at all and falling off after 4 days?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I use tegaderm over mine to keep it on and make it more waterproof. That usually lasts the two weeks although I sometimes have to use a second tegaderm in the second week if ive been doing loads of swimming. I did lose one sensor in the very hot weather which came off 4 days early.
I'm glad my sensors don't fall off as I'm highly allergic to Tegaderm adhesive so be careful if you've never used Tegaderm.

APACJoe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

Yes, I too have had them falling off or not sticking properly. I’ve reported it, but since the huge NICE contract it does seem, with the reduction of alcohol wipes etc. that there’s a few issues in more than a few batches recently.

Glucobabu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The original libre sensors used to be like this with me. I used to struggle to get them off!
I haven’t been using an alcohol wipe since they stopped supplying them but have used a wet wipe instead. I’ve never had to shave my arm before so haven’t thought of the need to start now.
May I suggest you don’t use wet wipes because the skin won’t dry as quickly as the alcohol wipe and there might be some unknown oils or detergent still left when you apply the sensor. Get some alcohol wipes from Amazon instead.

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People
Hi, you could try skin-prep by smith&nephew. Makes your skin tacky. I use it with my omnipod dash to keep it stuck to my skin. Works really well.

FreddyHoops

Hi! My friend uses Kinesiology tape to hold on her Libre, its cheap, effective and is water proof!

She recommends that you apply it after the first 4 days so it sounds like your situations match up!
She likes it because they also come in a variety of skin tones so they're good for blending in!

Hope this helps!

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Have you tried using a bar soap like Simple that’s just what it says, soap. I use it to wash the area where the sensor and the KT tape will go, dry thoroughly, and make sure that nothing else is put on that patch of skin until the KT tape’s on. KT tape will work loose if it’s wrinkled, or not fully stuck down. I also try to avoid rubbing the edges when washing or applying skin cream.
I hope you find something that keeps your sensor on, it’s very frustrating!

bilgin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
On behalf of my husband. He does not realy have hair on back of his arm, and not used alcohol wipes, are you supposed to? His sensor often full off, but he is chef and works in a hot kitchen.be interesting as off on holls soon, see if it stays on then.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
On behalf of my husband. He does not realy have hair on back of his arm, and not used alcohol wipes, are you supposed to? His sensor often full off, but he is chef and works in a hot kitchen.be interesting as off on holls soon, see if it stays on then.
Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

He member you are asking hasn’t logged in for a fair while?

But the used to come with wipes, (& recommended using alcohol wipes supplied?) I still use wipes I purchase myself.
After exfoliating the area whilst bathing, drying thoroughly, & use the wipe on the area & alow to dry again. Normally with my wife’s hairdryer. Before planting the sensor.?

For me. I’ve never lost one. Even tested how long they can stick before losing interest after 18 days.. (4 days after the life span.)

I’ve also worked in hot environments. I can’t seem to shake them..

Hope this helps.