NHS UK cuts back on blood tests

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58324108
Apparently, this is hopefully a temporary measure enforced by supply chain issues. It may affect diagnosis testing for diabetes. My heart monitoring tests have been cancelled, My kidney function tests are also on hold. My Hba1c due next month may also be affected.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58324108
Apparently, this is hopefully a temporary measure enforced by supply chain issues. It may affect diagnosis testing for diabetes. My heart monitoring tests have been cancelled, My kidney function tests are also on hold. My Hba1c due next month may also be affected.

I had a routine, monitoring test, on Tuesday, with no mention of shortages. Of course, that could be different today.

I can't imaging urgent bloods would be deferred.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had a routine, monitoring test, on Tuesday, with no mention of shortages. Of course, that could be different today.

I can't imaging urgent bloods would be deferred.

I agree re urgent bloods but I always think it's those tests that sit just below urgent that stops things becoming urgent.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have heard it's the vials that are in short supply as well as my favourite strawberries!(none in my local!)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Funny you mention this..

I had a text with a link from my surgery, earlier..

2021-08-26 14.10.51.png

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
I went for my hbA1c today plus the FBC and everything else the do.. mentioned the shortage to my hospital and they said they were OK.. maybe its regional ?

I blame the HGV drivers :)

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I went for my hbA1c today plus the FBC and everything else the do.. mentioned the shortage to my hospital and they said they were OK.. maybe its regional ?

Well it looks like it has changed since you went today!

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Well it looks like it has changed since you went today!
I read the article this morning before going to the hospital

so maybe some hospitals struggling more than others

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I read the article this morning before going to the hospital

so maybe some hospitals struggling more than others
The independent article? I saw earlier news saying there was a problem, the more recent seems to have told all of England to stop, to help all regions I guess

still, not good

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I blame Brexit.;)

Reactions: KidDougi

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other

An explanation, there are 2 types of blood collecting systems - monovette and vacutainer. I have so far been unable to find which one has the shortages. The hospital laboratory equipment decides which is used, both in hospital and community.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am surprised that a Tory donor with no experience of manufacturing anything similar hasn't been contracted to fill the shortfall for 10 times the usual price.

Skippy1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I went for a blood test at the surgery at 8.30 am today and mentioned to the phlebotomist about vial shortages I heard about on the news. She hadn't heard. By the time I got home 30 minutes later I'd had the text cancelling all further non-urgent tests. I'm hoping that, as my blood is already occupying a vial, it will get tested :)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’ve just come out of hospital after a four day stay, I wish they’d told the Drs there to ration the tests, I might then have less bruises from the daily, sometimes twice daily tests! :joyful::hilarious:

Edit for typo

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve just come out of hospital after a four day stay, I wish they’d told the Drs there to ration the tests, I might then would have less bruises from the daily, sometimes twice daily tests! :joyful::hilarious:
Hope you are ok.
x