"What have you eaten" Parallel Chat

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
HODGE BAGS - might be another name for some kind of chitterling. I have a feeling that my mother cooked chitterlings when we were kids, but I can't remember. The image in my mind is not the same as the one shown in the Hairy Bikers programme, but if that is what they are it could be from a different animal - perhaps a cow. Don't really fancy the idea, considering warnings about e-coli etc.
I have the Best of British cookbook and I can only see 2 recipes that "sound" a bit like that Hoggit - young sheep or Mutton Saag?
There's a few recipes in that book have been cooked more than once. The featherblade in particular (spale bone here).

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hope it all goes well. Are the usual treatments not some form of zapping to break the stone up?
It’s not the right sort of stone to be zapped apparently so it’ll be under general to have it taken out :(

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I have the Best of British cookbook and I can only see 2 recipes that "sound" a bit like that Hoggit - young sheep or Mutton Saag?
There's a few recipes in that book have been cooked more than once. The featherblade in particular (spale bone here).

I've found a couple of references - the first one doesn't look very likely but the 2nd and 3rd might be what was shown, but not followed up on the Hairy Bikers programme.

Hodge Podge
(or Hodge-Podge, Hotchpot, Hotchepot)

A mixture of ingredients, commonly diced sheep meat with carrot, lettuce (or cabbage) and other vegetables, cooked so as the ingredients fall and produce a highly thickened stew. Known from the 17th to 19th Centuries, eg. Digby 1669, Moxon 1764, Soyer 1845, Mrs.B.
http://www.foodsofengland.co.uk/hodgepodgeorhotchepot.htm

Hodge - "I used to eat the stuff myself years ago but what is it?
I thought it was either cows udder or pigs stomach, boiled by the butcher and sold on trays. It was then soaked in vinegar and scoffed. Birkenhead dockers used to call Liverpudlians "Hodge Eaters", or at least my Uncle Bob did.
Anybody remember this stuff?"

"Been confirmed, Hodge is pig stomach. Hodge Eater also used as a Birkenhead insult to Liverpuds. All the dictionaries don't seem to know that."

https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/403222/hodge.html

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Up at 2 am today. That's because I went to bed at 11.30 last night. Before I went to bed, I took some Co-codamol, so I can't take any more yet. Hoping that the stiffness that woke me will ease a bit by moving around.

BG 15.9 - no idea what that's about. Just took a correction dose of Humalog and hoping it will go down a bit. Had a cup of tea and then a tiny glass of Neil's soda water to try to ease my itchy throat. Didn't work.

I seem to have developed a bit of a cold and my sore chest is back again - has been for a few days now - I thought that was finished with.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Halloumi cheese of toast (that was Plan A consigned to never bother with it again meal), :meh: small tub of chobani greek yoghurt fot breakfast.
Chicken pie without the lid for lunch.
Corned brisket and mashed veggies for dinner.

The last month or so my appetite has changed, I could eat a big breakfastl with no problems, I am getting half way through the same size meal and the hungry feeling just goes and I do not want any more of the meal.

I have been eating tinned soups for lunch for something different to see if I can finish one off ok. There's two soups I like pea and ham, and chunky beef and veggies ( two bits of meat that's chunky ),and a couple of slices of low carb bread makes a meal.

Did the online shopping this morning and noticed the lo carb spuds are back again, so grabbed a couple of bags, a couple chunks of pumpkin. They are good mashed together with a chopped up raw onion mixed together.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
This would be a likely cause!

Maybe - the cold seems to have gone but still feeling pretty grotty today. BG pretty high still - hovering between 15.9 and 12.5 most of the day - beginning to drop in the late afternoon and 7.5 before dinner.

I took Em to the local shop yesterday but was feeling pretty bad so just asked her to get a couple of things for me (sellotape and a notebook), while I waited by the till and told her to get something for the, now empty, "goodies" drawer. She came back with a basket-full which totalled £34.90! My own fault, I should have been more explicit. She had actually bought herself a notebook as well, which she "needs" for a project she is doing with a school friend. Like me, she has a "thing" about paper - we both feel the need to fill a clean sheet of paper with something. In my case usually writing, but sometime doodling. In her case messages and/or drawings. The rest was 3 packets of her favourite biscuits and several packets of "Vimto" sweets, some boiled fruit sweets and various chocolatey things ("we can make a Rolo cake with the Rolos, Granny.") Enough there to last until next year, I should think - most of them not any use for emergency treatments.

Reactions: maglil55

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
told her to get something for the, now empty, "goodies" drawer. She came back with a basket-full which totalled £34.90!
I like your granddaughter, good choices she made too!
I get the paper thing, and a Rolo cake sounds amazing!

Reactions: maglil55

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Halloumi cheese of toast (that was Plan A consigned to never bother with it again meal), :meh: small tub of chobani greek yoghurt fot breakfast.
Chicken pie without the lid for lunch.
Corned brisket and mashed veggies for dinner.

The last month or so my appetite has changed, I could eat a big breakfastl with no problems, I am getting half way through the same size meal and the hungry feeling just goes and I do not want any more of the meal.

I have been eating tinned soups for lunch for something different to see if I can finish one off ok. There's two soups I like pea and ham, and chunky beef and veggies ( two bits of meat that's chunky ),and a couple of slices of low carb bread makes a meal.

Did the online shopping this morning and noticed the lo carb spuds are back again, so grabbed a couple of bags, a couple chunks of pumpkin. They are good mashed together with a chopped up raw onion mixed together.
Interesting what you say about meal sizes Riva Roxaban. When I began my turnaround seven weeks ago almost, I changed all my dish and plate sizes. I put away my dinner plates and now use a large side plate, and I swapped my cereal bowls for small fruit salad bowls. Maybe it's a psychological thing but it works!

Reactions: HurricaneHippo

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Interesting what you say about meal sizes Riva Roxaban. When I began my turnaround seven weeks ago almost, I changed all my dish and plate sizes. I put away my dinner plates and now use a large side plate, and I swapped my cereal bowls for small fruit salad bowls. Maybe it's a psychological thing but it works!
240393743_6526593140688035_1168748545927429410_n.jpg

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I like your granddaughter, good choices she made too!
I get the paper thing, and a Rolo cake sounds amazing!

I agree, a Rolo cake sounds great, but I wouldn't dare to try it, in case I couldn't stop! We will make it though and she can take it home to share with her Dad and brother - DIL is diabetic too. Oddly, DIL is very similar to me in that she is having to take more and more insulin to try to control her BG levels, and she is putting on lots of weight as a result. But the difference is that at night her BG drops away and that is when she has hypos. It doesn't help that she has several other health conditions as well. Currently she is working night-shifts in the laundry - she finds that easier than trying to sleep at night and she can sleep during the day when the kids and hubby are out.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Been awol for 24 hours, because I’m in hospital. I had been poorly over the weekend and yesterday I was no better so got an emergency GP appt. face to face :wideyed: Anyway long story short I have a kidney stone, ouch! Have an operation tomorrow to sort it out. At least I don’t have to worry about the non existent choice of low carb breakfast as I’ll be nil by mouth! :joyful::hilarious:

I’ve been awol myself so only just seen this, I hope it all went according to plan and you are recovering well by now. That must have been so very painful.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Couple of hard boiled eggs on low carb toast, small tub of chobani greek yoghurt for breakfast.
Three homemade fish cakes and a bit of a salad for lunch.
Pork loin chop, and green veggies and gravy for dinner.

Just something different to eat, we need to get more pork krackles for using as bread crumbs as a binder, as they broke apart a bit to easy while cooking the fish cakes.

Reactions: Antje77 and Annb

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Finally home from hospital late yesterday evening and had such a good night’s sleep in my own bed, great not being woken at 6.30am! Long story short I had a kidney stone seen on CT, which was stuck, so so painful (pain on a 0 - 10 scale was 100, never felt anything like it :(). Went to theatre and they couldn’t find the stone, 2nd CT showed it had hidden back in my kidney! However they’ve inserted a stent so if the stone decides to travel south again it should slip down the stent without getting stuck. I am listed for an urgent op to have the stent removed and the stone if it’s stayed put. The stent isn’t comfy, I can feel it and can’t lift anything heavy til it’s out. I’m still a work in progress but at least my pain score has come down considerably! Hospital food I hear you ask? Less said about that the better! :joyful:
Thank you everyone for your hugs and get well soons xxx

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Finally home from hospital late yesterday evening and had such a good night’s sleep in my own bed, great not being woken at 6.30am! Long story short I had a kidney stone seen on CT, which was stuck, so so painful (pain on a 0 - 10 scale was 100, never felt anything like it :(). Went to theatre and they couldn’t find the stone, 2nd CT showed it had hidden back in my kidney! However they’ve inserted a stent so if the stone decides to travel south again it should slip down the stent without getting stuck. I am listed for an urgent op to have the stent removed and the stone if it’s stayed put. The stent isn’t comfy, I can feel it and can’t lift anything heavy til it’s out. I’m still a work in progress but at least my pain score has come down considerably! Hospital food I hear you ask? Less said about that the better! :joyful:

Glad to see that you are home @Rachox. And that you are feeling more comfortable, even if it isn't all over yet. Do be careful with yourself, and good to yourself. At least you can have the food that you want now.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
A day or so ago, I decided that the space taken up by my electric grill would be more appreciated than the grill, so I took it away to clean and stash away somewhere. I have used it only a very few times in the 4 or so years that I've had it and can do very well without it, especially as it gets covered in splashes from the hob and requires cleaning daily. Somehow, it was very greasy and took a lot of cleaning. I asked Neil if he could find a space for it in the loft. "Yes", he says "I'll just put it on top of the last one you decided you didn't need!" Even now, I can't remember the grill he's talking about. I do remember a commercial one that I gave away about 10 years ago (Buffalo), but not one in between. Anyway - it's going. I have a toaster and a cast iron griddle pan as well as a toastie maker and a waffle maker. These should be sufficient. And the space is very useful.

Em was meant to come in today on her way home from school but she was quite distressed this morning to hear that her beloved 106 year old great granny died in the early hours today. It was not unexpected (at nearly 107, how could it be?) and it has been spoken of in order to prepare Em and her brother. He seems to be OK but she hasn't found it easy to deal with and her Mum and Dad decided not to send her to school. Tomorrow is her 9th birthday - I hope it doesn't blight her birthdays from now on. Actually, when my husband died, it was just a day after her 5th birthday. She took that in her stride but a 9 year old is, emotionally, a very different animal to a 5 year old.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A day or so ago, I decided that the space taken up by my electric grill would be more appreciated than the grill, so I took it away to clean and stash away somewhere. I have used it only a very few times in the 4 or so years that I've had it and can do very well without it, especially as it gets covered in splashes from the hob and requires cleaning daily. Somehow, it was very greasy and took a lot of cleaning. I asked Neil if he could find a space for it in the loft. "Yes", he says "I'll just put it on top of the last one you decided you didn't need!" Even now, I can't remember the grill he's talking about. I do remember a commercial one that I gave away about 10 years ago (Buffalo), but not one in between. Anyway - it's going. I have a toaster and a cast iron griddle pan as well as a toastie maker and a waffle maker. These should be sufficient. And the space is very useful.

Em was meant to come in today on her way home from school but she was quite distressed this morning to hear that her beloved 106 year old great granny died in the early hours today. It was not unexpected (at nearly 107, how could it be?) and it has been spoken of in order to prepare Em and her brother. He seems to be OK but she hasn't found it easy to deal with and her Mum and Dad decided not to send her to school. Tomorrow is her 9th birthday - I hope it doesn't blight her birthdays from now on. Actually, when my husband died, it was just a day after her 5th birthday. She took that in her stride but a 9 year old is, emotionally, a very different animal to a 5 year old.
I can empathise with Em. The eldest grandson is like that. He takes it very much to heart. I must admit though that letting him participate in my brother's funeral on line helped him considerably.
Youngest, who is 8, is very matter of fact "you get born, you grow old, you die". I'm told he does feel it - he just deals with it differently.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

This really interests me. Do you heat the soup with water or just eat it plain? I have started buying soup for the vegetables despite the sodium content.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OUCH!!! get well hugs x