Anyone else get muscle twitching?

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Thanks for all of the feedback guys! Hoping I can get this figured out. I have tried tons of magnesium, but without much effect. Maybe it’s a different mineral.....but all my bloods tested normal.

Have you actually seen your results? In particular, potassium level. Twitching can be a sign of low potassium. Not saying this is your problem, but being told everything is normal really means very little.

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Low magnesium can cause twitching as well

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oh yes! I get plenty of that at various times, and can be all over my body - tends to in the main be in legs (calfs) but left side if chest, arms and even neck sometimes. Never had these symptoms until I decided to lose 3-stone in weight (8 weeks) and adopt a LCHF diet style. Also have tinnitus and dizziness that has been around for months now. No understanding from within the NHS, just empty stares and no verbal advice (and that’s if you can even get to see a GP!).
This is almost certainly not neuropathy. You'd need bad sugars for a few more years to see that and this can happen if someone went undiagnosed for a while and then didn't do what you've done to reduce that hba1c.
Muscle twitches can be a symptom of low magnesium. I've also had them in the past e.g. eyes twitches occasionally or spasms as I go to sleep. The other time is happens is when I am tired.
Anyway your first remedy should usually be good quality rest and a high quality diet with organic veg if you can afford it (better magnesium content).

Luise151

I've had random, widespread muscle twitches for over 3 years now. Got it checked out by a neurologist almost 3 years ago, and was given the all clear. Didn't get diagnosed as diabetic until this past April, and I know I wasn't in the diabetic range for more than a year prior to that due to previous blood tests. Dropped my A1C levels back in to the non-diabetic range in 2 months with LCHF. Then started getting some mild burning in feet, and my hands fall asleep at night regularly.

I'll admit I have health anxiety. I fear small fiber neuropathy. Could it have started with the twitches? If it were true neuropathy would it take 3 years for burning type pain to show up in feet with twitching as presenting symptom? The foot problems didn't start until AFTER lowering my BG levels. Is any of this related at all, or is my mind getting the best of me?

Hi, i have exactly the same symptoms that you have for more than 1 year. All the doctors told me that I am fine. I have thought that maybe it is my anxiety, but my subconscious tells me that I should act because maybe afterwards it will be too late and it could get worse. Have you had a definitive diagnosis of all these symptoms? have your symptoms evolved?

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
Anyone else? I'm not sure if this stuff is related or not......or it could all be related to my anxiety. Who knows.
Anyone else? I'm not sure if this stuff is related or not......or it could all be related to my anxiety. Who knows.

I've had
"tingling, electric shock type tremor for the past five years"; unfortunately my doctor at that time did not know what it was. I am in a complicated situation where other meds or even protracted w/d from a chronic med may be the cause. It may even be a spinal problem. Fortunately, my new dr. has arranged for an appointment with a neurologist very soon, and I hope to get a diagnosis. It is irritating as heck.

Caprock94

Hi, i have exactly the same symptoms that you have for more than 1 year. All the doctors told me that I am fine. I have thought that maybe it is my anxiety, but my subconscious tells me that I should act because maybe afterwards it will be too late and it could get worse. Have you had a definitive diagnosis of all these symptoms? have your symptoms evolved?

Symptoms are about the same. I'm told it is benign and may be caused by anxiety. I'm not sure if it is related to diabetes or not. It started well before I became diabetic.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Symptoms are about the same. I'm told it is benign and may be caused by anxiety. I'm not sure if it is related to diabetes or not. It started well before I became diabetic.
Reading your post made me realise that my twitching has recently gone away. Not sure when. I used to get persistent tics in my eyes and hands. Them going might be associated with normal BG levels, or might be a coincidence.

Luise151

Thanks for your reply

(Mod edit for clarity)

Last edited by a moderator:

Caprock94

Reading your post made me realise that my twitching has recently gone away. Not sure when. I used to get persistent tics in my eyes and hands. Them going might be associated with normal BG levels, or might be a coincidence.

Glad yours went away! They are annoying.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hi @Caprock94
I put mine down to all my pain. My nervous system is dealing with alot. Once problem causing pain is resolved then I'm hoping mine improves. When I'm tired mine is worse.

Luise151

Hello everyone, I am new here, I was looking where of the forum to post my questions and I think this thread is the most appropriate, I am 42 years old, I have been T2 for 8 years and I have also been suffering from some symptoms but the doctors every time I consult them they give me some reason other than the neruopathy:
1. Blurred vision when reading or upon waking... Doctor: Presbyopia
2. Sometimes numb hand at night ... Doctor: Carpal Tunnel
3. Dirunal gas and sporadic diarrhea ... Doctor: Irritable bowel.
4. Jerking or spontaneous myoclonus when falling asleep ... Doctor: Sleep Myoclonus
5. Short term memory lost...Doctor: Anxiety

The following three symptoms are diurnal (not during the night) and intermittent, that is, they do not always accompany me, I last a few weeks without feeling it and then I perceive them again, they are not simultaneous, when I feel one I do not perceive the other:
1. Muscle spasms in different parts of the body... Doctor: anxiety.
2. Mild burning sensation in the little finger of the left hand and the outer part of the left foot ... Doctor: Anxiety.

Could I be suffering from neuropathy and the doctors don't know its little details?
I trully appreciate the guidance of the people with more experience on this subject

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;

I do have tingling, electric tremor, but I am pretty sure it is lithium-related. No dead spots on soles of feet, no diabetic neuropathy as far as I know, but I have not been tested for it. I am booked for an MRI soon, but I hope they don't mix it up, because the tremor started when I had a serious interaction between an antihypertensive and lithium which may have boostedthe lithium level and burned some neurons.:-(

ultradad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have had musclur twitches and cramping since my 30's. Was under a neurologist for a few years and never got any where. I started taking magnesium 3 months ago the twitches and cramps went away. I thought i was having enough magnesium in my diet as i started doing a carnivor diet and stopped and the brain fog, twitches and cramps started back up.

I was taking 250mg a day but bowel movement a bit soft so going to try 100-200 a day again and see how it goes :)

Caprock94

I have had musclur twitches and cramping since my 30's. Was under a neurologist for a few years and never got any where. I started taking magnesium 3 months ago the twitches and cramps went away. I thought i was having enough magnesium in my diet as i started doing a carnivor diet and stopped and the brain fog, twitches and cramps started back up.

I was taking 250mg a day but bowel movement a bit soft so going to try 100-200 a day again and see how it goes :)

What type of magnesium worked for you?

ultradad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What type of magnesium worked for you?

I use magnesium from Holland and Barrett. I tryed 250mg a day of magnesium https://www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/product/holland-barrett-magnesium-tablets-250mg-60005830 and i felt alot better but bowel movement a bit lose so now i am trying 200 mg of magnesium citrate https://www.hollandandbarrett.com/s...m-citrate-tablets-100mg-60006390?skuid=007500 and seeing how that goes (so far so good) If thats still a bit much for me they do a 150mg tab as well :)

HurricaneHippo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No more muscle twitching since taking magnesium. Also I’m not sure if my muscle twitches were caused by exercise. Started peloton after diagnosis and muscle twitching started directly after most sessions. After a few weeks it settled

Bobbydave

I've had random, widespread muscle twitches for over 3 years now. Got it checked out by a neurologist almost 3 years ago, and was given the all clear. Didn't get diagnosed as diabetic until this past April, and I know I wasn't in the diabetic range for more than a year prior to that due to previous blood tests. Dropped my A1C levels back in to the non-diabetic range in 2 months with LCHF. Then started getting some mild burning in feet, and my hands fall asleep at night regularly.

I'll admit I have health anxiety. I fear small fiber neuropathy. Could it have started with the twitches? If it were true neuropathy would it take 3 years for burning type pain to show up in feet with twitching as presenting symptom? The foot problems didn't start until AFTER lowering my BG levels. Is any of this related at all, or is my mind getting the best of me?
Hi, I've just seen your post. I've twitched for 4 years. About a year before that I noticed strange sensations in the soles of both feet. The Dr tested me for type 2, told me it was negative and sent me on my way. 5 years later I twitch, I get bad headaches behind my left eye following sugar, and then awful (like end of the world) anxiety. Anxiety is typically first thing in the morning and lifts through the day. I often also wake with numb fingers (though I've stopped worrying about this.) The reason for the post is in 5 years I've had two 1ac tests which show me nowhere close to prediabetes, let alone type 2. I'm intrigued by you having such similar symptoms before you were diagnosed. Have you noticed any correlation with twitching and low blood sugar? (I think I may but my I'm prone to temporarily bend facts to fit the theory!)