Low Blood Sugar

Hello, hope you are well.

I have had Reactive Hypoglycaemia for over 10 years. I have managed it well through diet, however i have noticed i am getting light-headedness, anxiety feeling and legs feeling weak in-between means recently. I assume my blood sugar has become unstable.

I have meals such as scrambled egg on toast with one slice of granary toast for breakfast, a chicken salad for lunch. Can anyone kindly share their sample meals for the day and snacks, this would be so helpful please. I note i do not get enough fat and wondered if anyone has tried adding coconut oil to their meals for instance?

Lastly i note Zinc and B Vitamins can be helpful for Reactive Hypoglycaemia has anyone any experience with trying supplements and anything that might have worked for them please?

Take care and stay safe in these strange times. Thank you for any help you can give.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Can anyone kindly share their sample meals for the day and snacks, this would be so helpful please.
Hi @denisfeatheruni , welcome to the forum!
If you're managing your RH through a low carb diet, you might like to join us on this thread: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-you-eaten-today.75781/page-2308

Most of the people sharing their meals on that thread have T2 diabetes, not RH, but if you're looking for ideas on low carb food this doesn't make a differnce :)
i have noticed i am getting light-headedness, anxiety feeling and legs feeling weak in-between means recently. I assume my blood sugar has become unstable.
It might be helpful to use a glucose meter to see what is happening. Do you have one?

Reactions: Lamont D

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hello, hope you are well.

I have had Reactive Hypoglycaemia for over 10 years. I have managed it well through diet, however i have noticed i am getting light-headedness, anxiety feeling and legs feeling weak in-between means recently. I assume my blood sugar has become unstable.

I have meals such as scrambled egg on toast with one slice of granary toast for breakfast, a chicken salad for lunch. Can anyone kindly share their sample meals for the day and snacks, this would be so helpful please. I note i do not get enough fat and wondered if anyone has tried adding coconut oil to their meals for instance?

Lastly i note Zinc and B Vitamins can be helpful for Reactive Hypoglycaemia has anyone any experience with trying supplements and anything that might have worked for them please?

Take care and stay safe in these strange times. Thank you for any help you can give.

Hi, welcome to our forum.
I have Reactive Hypoglycaemia and diagnosed 2012-13,
It's great that you have coped so far, and your health hasn't suffered except for a few symptoms.
If I ate your meals that you have described, I would certainly get low blood levels.
I fast until mid afternoon then have a very low carb meal with as little carb as possible., I don't eat after 7pm to ensure I don't go low when I go to bed.
And yes, I've tried coconut oil. Interesting taste when frying.
A salad is fine as long as there is no dressing or starchy carb laden veg. Which are the ones that grows under the ground. Yep, spuds!

You need a glucometer, if you have an endocrinologist, ask him to recommend one from your GP. Then you can find out if you are really going hypo.

What tests have you had?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
What about a nice dressing of oil and vinegar?

I love vinegar especially with chips, but that's not recommended. But yeah vinegar, why not?
I'm not a fan of oil and it would have to be 100% virgin olive oil.
There is no way I would ever use vegetable oils again.
I don't fancy coconut oil on my rocket!!