HBA1C versus Cholesterol Control…

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Too many to list here . . .
Well, here’s the thing: having now compressed my HBA1C down from 89 to 46 - YAY! - with Metformin and HFLC diet, my Cholesterol numbers are requiring my DR to call me tomorrow- BOO!! What’s a guy gotta do?

Reactions: zand

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you lost weight? It's normal for cholesterol to rise temporarily when you lose weight.
Do you know what your cholesterol figures are?
Chances are they didn't do a full lipid panel. The triglycerides figure is the most important one.
Your doctor probably wants to put you on statins.
Ask for the test results first and let us see them, then you can make an informed decision.

Cholesterol is good and necessary for life it helps combat inflammation in the body. If the doctor insists on statins ask for a coronary calcium artery scan first. It's plaque that causes strokes and heart attacks not cholesterol

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
If the doctor insists on statins ask for a coronary calcium artery scan first. It's plaque that causes strokes and heart attacks not cholesterol
In just that one statement, I can’t tell you how much support you’ve given me with your words. I shall reply more to your post in a few minutes, but wanted to get my immediate feedback to you.

Reactions: coby

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
my Cholesterol numbers are requiring my DR to call me tomorrow- BOO!! What’s a guy gotta do?

If they mention LDL ask them exactly how the equation that is used to calculate it works.. £10 says they won't be able to.

And yes ask for the CAC scan and a full lipid panel breakdown if they haven't done one.. if they mention "high total cholesterol" laugh and ask what exactly that shows.

Reactions: Lainie71
M

Member496333

Cholesterol schomesterol. Probably the least meaningful indicator of cardiovascular health ever invented. Funny old world where arguably the most important single substance in the entire human body is vilified as a killer based on outdated and highly questionable epidemiology. 1950 called. They want their science back.

Disclaimer: the above is my personal opinion only and is not medical advice :shifty:

Reactions: Lainie71

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My cholesterol levels came down when I upped my good fats and lowered my carbs it is now in the 5s but all the readings are in range .As a female OAP I am happy with that
Carol

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
O...K...
Firstly thanks for all the feedback. And secondly here's a listing of the items that were tested this September:
  1. Serum cholesterol
  2. Serum HDL cholesterol level
  3. Serum cholesterol/HDL ratio
  4. Non-HDL Cholesterol
Which of these, if any, should I respond to with my DR? Are these the four that you all recognize? Is there another test that's missing?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
O...K...
Firstly thanks for all the feedback. And secondly here's a listing of the items that were tested this September:
  1. Serum cholesterol
  2. Serum HDL cholesterol level
  3. Serum cholesterol/HDL ratio
  4. Non-HDL Cholesterol
Which of these, if any, should I respond to with my DR? Are these the four that you all recognize? Is there another test that's missing?

You could ask why they missed off triglycerides (which are really the most important) ..

guess you hadn't water fasted 12-14 hours before the blood was taken?

This makes the entire exercise a bit pointless

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Now, back to my request, how do I balance lowering my HBA1C and my Cholesterol whilst adhering to a HFLC diet?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The ldl isn’t listed (just non hdl) and will be calculated not measured. And the assumptions used for that calculation don’t hold true for hflc so the calculation might well be inaccurate compared to a measurement.

Then there’s different sized ldl particles. Good large buoyant ones and bad, small dense ones. In low carb the former are usually the ones that dominate. Ask which yours are? You’ll probably get a stunned silence. It can be tested but rarely is.

The rise in hdl (and the potential rise in “good/large” ldl) usually accounts for a rise in totals. Along with the dispersal of body fat as lipids whilst losing weight

triglycerides should be measured. It’s likely this important will have fallen.

I’d suggest requesting the missing tests, asking for the scan if the dr is worried, pointing out weight loss as a factor and asking for another test once this has ceased (fasted this time) and go from there with the full picture. In the meantime read @bulkbiker ‘s huge cholesterol thread.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's called Cholesterol and statins. Sorry can't do a link right now

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
It’s a bit of a big one!
Yeah, right. I don’t think I’ll be able to consume, assimilate and make sense of it prior to my DR-chat. What I will make clear to the DR that all my numbers are well within parameters as being NORMAL and the one that is ABNORMAL is elevated by 0.1, and even that has been dropping since 2018.

And again, the DR needs to tell me how or what I need to eat AND, at the same time, bring down my HBA1C with what Cholesterol marker would assist, and then we can talk about drug regimens. Oh joy!

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What fats are you having? I found my Total cholesterol went down by 2.0 points when I switched to LCHF and stopped having vegetable oils and reverted to animal fats.

Reactions: lucylocket61

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I found my Total cholesterol went down by 2.0 points
Wow, that’s good. What of my Markers above, is this Total cholesterol?

Foodwise I’ve knocked out porridge, Museli, below ground starchy veggies and any Carbostiens that would add to my daily account. I eat, oily and non-oily fish, chicken, beef, lamb, Scratchings, cheese, loadsa nuts and all the food that ranks 20% or lower, even less that 1%, on the Labels. I’m fastidious about that. My HBA1C’s reflect the good work I’ve done, I don’t wish to overturn this progress, and ALL my food has brought down that ABNORMAL marker so it’s only 0.1 above. Don’t forget that.

@zand, thanks for showing patience and informing me. I need to take the DRs in hand, politely, and ask for what I want. What else can I ask, that would assist in doing this balancing act: HBA1C v Cholesterol markers?